main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Justice League

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, so since the other thread is just two people with probable aspergers talking past one another and ruining the discussion entirely, I'm starting a new one.

The only rule is that Slowpoke and Sinister keep the old thread to waste each other's time in.

Justice League (2017)
    Dir: Ball Zack Snyder
    Writer: Chris Terrio
    I Really Hope You're The Common Sense Advocate: Geoff Johns

Cast:
    Superman - Henry Cavill
    Batman - Ben Affleck
    Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot
    Cyborg - Ray Fisher
    Aquaman - Jason Momoa
    The Flash - Ezra Miller

[​IMG]

Plot:

Steppenwolf, seen briefly at the end of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, is hunting for three motherboxes - computers used by the New Gods on Apokolips. They are located in Themyscira (home of the Amazons and Wonder Woman); Atlantis (home of...um... Atlanteans and Aquaman), and Cyborg's chest (home of Windows 10!).

After the harsh critical reaction to the dark tone of Batman v Superman, Geoff Johns of DC Comics and Zack Snyder have indicated they've heard the criticism and there will be a lightness to this film. The convention footage posted above seems to speak to that point; and was well received.

We tried to talk about this point but the high end of the spectrum was in overdrive having the same arguments about Man of Steel they've been having since 2013. Snyder tweeted an image of the "Tactical Bat Suit" from the film:

[​IMG]

The suit looks to be, well, like what people mean when they call something tactical. Straps. Extra Kevlar padding. And Owlman goggles from Watchmen.

I was saying, or trying to over the shouts of "less taste!" and "more filling", that it looks a bit like the Arkham games and that honestly, I love Batfleck Batman. That warehouse fight (which I will link below in GLORIOUS 60FPS - if you play playstation or Xbox One you may be confused about framerates this high lolpcmasterrace) was so incredibly well done, that, along with that Batsuit, just destroyed any previous incarnation of the character on screen for me. It was THE Batman image.

So, to kick discussion off and note, please, Slowpoke and Sinister, this isn't directed at you -

1) What are your thoughts on the trailer and new suit, and
    2) What do you think the Justice League film needs to succeed critically? Or should it just aim for fan service and not widespread, Marvellian acclaim?

Jedi Merkurian and Diggy like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Warehouse fight in 60FPS.

Such Batman. So tactics. Wow.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Heheh, Ball Zach.

seventhbeacon, Ender Sai and harpua like this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We'll see how Wonder Woman goes, since we're approaching "shame on me" level...

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Will there be a jar of piss?

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I for one hope so, Adam.

Yeah, so, I obviously like the films. Supercavill is not Superreeve, but I'm used to DC being about new takes on characters. Grant Morrison has takes on Batman and Superman, and they're different to when, say, Alan Moore writes Superman or Frank Miller writes Batman. It's a DC thing to have a take on a character, and theirs made sense.

I liked, too, Suicide Squad but because of the thrill of seeing those characters on screen. They're different to Marvel films, which I also enjoy. Except Age of Ultron.

Nobody enjoyed Age of Ultron.

What I'm conscious of is that the critical reaction - and let's be clear, the fan reaction, measured in revenue, is not disappointing - driving them to conclude they need to reboot again.

WW has the SS issue, now. A great trailer doesn't help. It hinders. Wonder Woman was a - or, the - standout of BvS, depending who you ask. And DC will beat Marvel to the punch on a badarse female lead. Seeing her slide on her shield under a German's line of fire - it's amazing, not just because it looks like she is the best thing ever (and younger than Kate Beckinsale, who to be fair wouldn't be too old) but because young girls are seeing someone look even better than the boy heroes.

But, Suicide Squad looked different - better different - in the trailers too. Soo.....

Yeah I agree WW has a lot on its shoulders. It needs to deliver. Not just for DC, but for female superhero films.

[​IMG]

More badarse than even Black Panther?

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I hope there's a Pa Kent flashback scene.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't.

They can sense it. "What's that? An opportunity to bore people with reductive arguments? I'm needed!"

If you bring them in here, Valyn, I will destroy you personally. I will come after with such force that you will wish you were in hell with your back broken.

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Off topic, removed.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    GTFO, Slowpoke. This thread exists so we can discuss things without you.

Ezio Skywalker - LOOK WHAT YOU DID.

YOU ARE WHY WE CANNOT HAVE NICE THINGS.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, I have the right to discuss DCEU.

12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Get out of our new thread Slowpokeking.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's my right to post in the thread, I didn't repeat the MOS debate.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, you don't. You forfeited that right Slowpoke, by talking abject idiocy.

This thread exists so we can discuss it without your brand of commentary sullying proceedings. Please do not post here. The opening post is clear that you are to use the old thread. Not this one.

I am serious. You have ruined that thread. That alone forfeited any right of inclusion you felt you had.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Sorry you don't have the right to keep someone out from the forum, you can go open your own forum if you want to.

Now tell me, is this thread's current debate better than the "abandoned one"?

16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Looking forward to Ryan Reynolds putting the CG green suit back on.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    fffffffffffffffffffff

18. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    ha ha what? "oh, they didn't like it, guess we'll change tone". That will surely save it. ha ha ha. That's definitely what was wrong with BVS. It wasn't light enough. ha ha ha ha ha. Lighten it up, that will fix it. haaaaaaaaaaaa.

You goofed it up, Zack, because you're a goof. Changing the tone doesn't make you a better writer/director. Talk about the blind leading the blind, my absolute goodness.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but to be fair to Ball Zack, he has an incredible visual style. He shoots things so they look like a comic panel come to life. If the darkness and muted colours are gone, but those shots remain - so, I mean, yes we didn't need another shot of the Waynes getting killed, but it looked better than any iteration to date - and Chris Terrio writes it instead, it could actually work.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think the trailer looks promising and I'm optomistic Geoff Johns involvement will have a positive impact. I'm also more optomistic about the Flash, didn't like the choice at first and I like GG on the TV show so much, but he looks great in that trailer. Already know I love Gadot and Affleck as Wonder Woman and Batman so I really do feel like there is a lot to look forward to.

Oh and that new Batman suit is goofy as hell and I love it.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    First time I've seen the tactical suit and my first thought immediately was Nite-Owl's in this?

I wish they would have done something to the goggles to distract from that obvious comparison. Otherwise it looks good.

I found Suicide Squad entertaining and not at all as bad as the disaster Bats v Superman was (though I will say the ultimate cut did better justify some of my biggest issues with Superman but did not fix Lex's awfulness or the Martha! thing).

I have hope for Wonder Woman. The cast looks great. The time period idea is fantastic. Gal Gadot looks the part and did well with what little she had in BvS. But I also think the director is simply better. We'll see how she does. I was disappointed that she ended up leaving the second Thor.

And as to this film, it's looking promising but I have yet to get the "wow!" factor that should be evoked. The photo of all of them assembled just doesn't look as impressive as this did when I first saw it years ago when the television show debuted. To me this is what Justice League should be:

[​IMG]

Now that could also be because we haven't seen them in an action pose. Who could forget the first time we saw the Avengers truly assembled?

[​IMG]

The only other thing that concerns me is the choice of villain. If it truly is Steppanwolf and not Darksied, I will be rather disappointed. But then again Avengers sort of stole the whole alien invasion idea so it would be repetitive if they did that too.

22. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    That's only a part of the battle. For WW and JL to actually be accepted, the theater cut has to be good and justify a character's presence in the film. "MARTHA!" aside from BvS, Lois' presence in BvS after being saved and then when Clark came home in the theater cut felt like something was missing and felt like they just threw her in there. The ultimate cut filled in a lot of gaps for her and Clark.

Snyder and Johns can't let that happen to JL. JL will have to have a better reception among the critics in contrast to BvS', and I'm thinking people are likely going to be a little hesitant after BvS (I can't say anything about Suicide Squad because I didn't see it, and have no intention to) without it.

Then there's the characters themselves. I'm all for unique takes, but I don't think they can deviate so far like they have in the past with them so they're going to have to bring it back to more of the comic "no killing" ideal. Plus, Batfleck should be able to show off some of that detective prowess of Batman.

As far as WW goes, I'm feeling like it's going to feel a hell of a lot like Cap 1 but I'm probably going to see that anyways.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This is the best post of all time. I'm still laughing.

But seriously, I really want WW to succeed as a character. I like Gadot and the WW solo trailer was great.

But I do not know how anyone can take that whole speech about the stranger from the sea that Affleck makes at the beginning without laughing. Me and a friend have already made, "I hear somebody around here can control fish" into a running gag.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the main reason it looks Nite Owlish is because of the lighting. It's bronzed, which means it looks less grey and more like that Watchman's costume.

The goggles are separate, if you look closely, too.

I absolutely did the get the 'wow' factor; I have three images cycling as my Win10 wallpaper. Rey and BB8; Dan Ricciardo's Red Bull Formula 1 car, and that Justice League cast shot.

It's weird having Aquaman and not AquaThor or AquaAryan, but I mean, you had to make him work. By which I mean, Momoa!

Steppenwolf is, I believe, a general of Darkseid's army in this iteration (rather than Darkseid's uncle) and so he's leading the advance. If they stick with Motherboxes being able to open Boomtubes, and Cyborg has one in his face or chest or whatever, then JL2 is basically the Darkseid fight.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The script will decide the fate of the WOW movie.