main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Justice League the movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Slowpokeking, May 7, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe Emma Watson will play WW :-B

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000

...You're not saying that just because she's a female character she doesn't have any depth of character that requires a decent actor to protray her, are you? Oh, please don't tell me you're saying that.

Wonder Woman to me is at least as complex as Superman, if not more. Not only does a portrayal of her have to contend with the fact she's a suspiciously-human-looking alien and/or demigod, she has to have almost equal measures of masculine directness and "feminine" softness to her. I suspect, without a lot to go on of course, that's why she's seen as a feminist icon. And it's, to me, a big reason why it's hard for Holly-yes-we-know-you're-a-serious-actress-now-get-your-bra-off-darling-Wood to find someone to play her.

EDIT: Play her credibly and in tune with the character, that is.

EDIT THE SECOND: Ender, could you download this post and make sure it gets to Warner Brothers? It's an incredibly significant insight on Wonder Woman and MUST be incorporated into their thinking on the iflm. :p

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It's a blockbuster movie about at least 5 superheroes, Superman and Batman will surely take the most important role. I don't see WW will get much time and development, and she's not more complex than some other characters Kate played.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *facepalm* Well this is the same user who said Elisa Maza from Gargoyles should be played by Jennifer Connelly, so I shouldn't be surprised by this statement.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    My only point is that Movies have a lot of magic tricks to obtain a certain look, and I don't think saying the actress has to be a certain age, or look a certain way beforehand is a reasonable thing to do.

Fans are so annoying. They practically exploded when Heath Ledger was announced. They threw hissy fits, and cried themselves to sleep at night. And what happened at Halloween and on youtube that year? A Ledger Joker impression is in every annoying guy at the party's bag of really bad impressions next to Christopher Walken and Arnold Schwarzenegger. These kinds of predetermined criteria for casting(She must be tall; she must have an impressive physique; she must be very young looking) are silly, considering that Martin Freeman just played Bilbo Baggins, and there didn't seem to be a problem making him appear to be a halfling. In fact, any opinion on casting before watching the performance(unless you happen to have seen all of the auditions and knew what the movie makers were looking for) is just terrible. No one saw Ledger coming. I don't believe anyone can say they saw Jackman coming in what is probably now one of the most inseparable portrayals of a character ever. In fact, it seems to work out the opposite(Brandon Routh springs to mind).

So just, I dunno. Calm down about it. I'd rather never have even heard of whoever might one day take the role; someone who no one would have said beforehand, "that's Wonder Woman", but afterwards would make it completely impossible to separate her from the character.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Kate is tall(1.70) and it's not a problem, remember Tom Hardy is shorter than Bale but he still played Bane. She is one of the most famous action heroines these days and among them her appearance fit WW the most.

[​IMG]

Just look at the pic, a good WW

Beside PS, she also cosplayed WW in Halloween before.

[​IMG]

7. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005

Five superheroes? This isn't the Avengers we're talking about, where we got five films and several years of work to help ground the movie and make sure that there was not as great a need for character introductions and development. If a Justice League movie does get made in the near future, it's going to have half of the work that went into Avengers at best. Try to put in too many characters and you'll wind up with Spiderman 3 in DC form.

If DC and/or Warner are smart (huge assumption there), they will either put the JL movie on hold until they get some traction with the solo films (ie. Man of Steel does well, Batman reboot goes well to make people not expect Nolan!Bats, and a second GL and/or a WW movie does well), or pick Superman, Batman and one other character for the Justice League film and go for a smaller scale, but more character focused movie than Avengers was and develop said third character there.

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    In fairness, that is mainly because Christopher Nolan picked him for the role. As Christopher Nolan also picked Christian Bale. And Michael Caine. And Morgan Freeman. And Gary Oldman. Just like how Christopher Nolan has managed (if the trailer reflects the film) to restrain Zack Snyder's filmic tendencies to make it slowmo, CGI, and tasteless. If Christopher Nolan winds up directing WW, or Exec Producing WW, I'll be at least a little less anxious because he knows how to reinvent a character without destroying it in the process. I've much less confidence in the remainder of Hollywood at this juncture, given what the remainder of Hollywood did to Green Lantern.

solojones and Draconarius like this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Superman, Batman and WW that's big 3, and we need to have Flash and Lantern, without them we can't call it JL. Then we need MM/Aquaman/Hawkgirl.

There is no time for that many movies before 2015 or 2016, and since the GL movie failed I don't think DC will release independent movies for Flash or Aquaman or MM, they will only try it if JL is a success. Even Batman reboot is hard because Nolan Trilogy only passed a few years away and it was so great.

10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Traditionally you only reboot a franchise if something went wrong with it. :D

V-2 likes this.
  11. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Too many characters equals a bad film, Slowpoke, and five to seven League members is too many. They would all be competing for screentime, and none would get enough, and we would be left with a bunch of cardboard cutouts fighting an equally cardboard villain. From the information we have, DC has three options:

Option 1: Go ahead with the 2015/16 release. Force 5-7 undeveloped heroes and at least one villain into the movie, at which point you are 100% money-back guaranteed to have a bloated mess of a film that would make Spiderman 3 look like a classic character study. Terrible idea that will end in disaster.

Option 2: abandon the 2015/16 release and do the groundwork first. Best idea, and would probably work.

Option 3: Realise that you have nowhere near the presence or success that Marvel has had, and adjust accordingly. Focus only on the Big 3 you mentioned above. Do the same thing that the introductory episode of the old JL cartoon did and don't even mention the League until Supes has the idea at the end. Not as good as option 2, but cmight work.

PS: You really need to start quoting the posts you're referring to.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But without these 5 it's not even JL anymore.

Just use Nolan's Batman, MoS Superman and let Flash/Lantern show up in it. WW might get one movie or have a important appearance in MoS like Black Widow did in IM2. That's enough. Remember the JL cartoon started with the heroes come together and further develop them in later episodes?

13. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Option 4: Do a quick postcredit scene on Man of Steel where Kal-El lands back at the Fortress to find the lights out. Joseph Gordon-Levitt comes out of the shadows in the Batsuit. "Superman? You really let them call you that?" CUT TO BLACK SCREEN.

:D

Draconarius likes this.
  14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I think it probably costs just a tiny bit more money to make a movie than it does a cartoon.

Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's the idea, do Superman first and let WW play a big role in his movies, other might show up once or twice then release JL, after JL's success they can do individual movies.

They did want to follow Marvel's way, but after the GL movie's failure there is no way they are going to make individual movies beside the big 3 or even S&B, not before JL's success.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Your'e assuming A)DC doesn't go through with it's rebooting Batman and even if it decided to try and avoid it, B)That Christain Bale wants to return as Batman C)MOS actually does well enough at the Box Office for DC to justify a JL film (I still say it flops, based alone on how little promotional effort WB/DC is putting into this film). and D) that the audiences that are not hard core comic fans (fans that DC/WB are going to have to reach out to in order to make a JL a success) going to know enough about WW, GL, and Flash and/or Manhunter to not go "Huh? Who are they?" Casual fans might be able to latch on to a WW without a true origin story, and Manhunter could work as a 'mysterious character', heck you could take the gamble of keeping some of the origin story of the GL film and recast Hal like Marvel did with Hulk and recasting Norton with Ruffalo. But if they use John Stewart as you want them too, then yes, he's going to need an origin story/movie to explain how he's GL instead of RR's Hal Jordon and Flash is going to need an origin movie too. Just because the cartoon was able to pull it off doesn't mean that type of condenced story would translate easily or well to a live action movie.

Draconarius likes this.
  17. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    A film is a very different beast from a series. The cartoon could afford to pull all seven together at once and develop later because it had something like a week between episodes, while there would be at least 2 or 3 years between movies. Avengers was able to pull it off because of the solo films. JL won't have that, so you have to show some patience and scale the production back a little to compensate.

The best plan I can think of is have the first film introduce WW, have her team up with Supes and Bats to defeat whoever the villain ends up being, then the three can start the League at the end of the film. Solo films can introduce the others, link them up with a couple of cameos, and then bring them all together for the second League film. Walk before you run, to quote an old saying.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I don't really think WB did want to follow Marvel's way. This'll all sound a bit subjective, but part of the leeriness I have for a JL movie is because the 'feel' of the various films are too different. With Marvel films, from Iron Man to Thor to Captain America to the Avengers, the story is different but the style and cinematography is close if not identical. I suspect part of that was intended because Marvel knew they'd eventually have to put all of these characters together in one film, and it's jarring enough to have that happen.

Compare that with the conceptual 'verses you have to put together for a JL film now: the Nolanverse is dark, mortal-centric, gritty, right down to a preference for live action effects over CGI. Compare that with the 'look' of Green Lantern, which was all bright colours and zipping off to other star systems at the blink of an eye. I can imagine a director, producer, and cinematographer having a hard time trying to mesh those two virtual worlds together without one element of the two giving way -- either it's more gritty for GL, which clashes with the first film, or it's more bright colours and less gritty for Batman, which clashes with the Nolanverse.

Nolan is Exec Producer on MoS, so there appears less of a "compatibility problem" between the Bat and Superman now, but it's still not a planned-out, strategic decision. WB is still running behind Marvel because it's not approaching JL or DC's pantheon with a unified approach unless Nolan's been brought on for a JL project on a continuing basis. They are looking at it on a movie-to-movie basis for viability. The different feels of GL and the Nolanverse demonstrate that. Or maybe it just demonstrates the different backgrounds: Marvel is a comic company, and its fortunes in selling comics are heavily amplified by the success of Marvel movies featuring their characters, so they have a vested interest in making it all lock together. To Warner Bros, DC is just another intellectual property. They think they'll make money on X or Y franchise, but they don't seem to have the same vested interest as Marvel does in making the films fit together.

19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Also, on the whole "Wonder Woman is a simple character to write concept", we here at Totally Pointless Posts went out to interview someone who had some expertise on the subject. And failing that, we just asked a random guy on the street. His name is apparently David S. Goyer, and according to him he's had some involvement in this little film called Man of Steel, psh, silly name. And he apparently wrote something called the "Dark Knight trilogy", as well as three movies with someone called "Blade". Oh, and Kickboxer 2: The Road Back, which was interesting. And his opinion about Wonder Woman was as follows...

“I think Wonder Woman is a very difficult character to crack. More difficult than Superman, who is also more difficult than Batman. Also, a lot of people in Hollywood believe that it’s hard to do a big action movie with a female lead. I happen to disagree with that. But that tends to be the prevailing wisdom. Hopefully, that’ll change in the next few years. Who should play [her]? No idea...”

But like I said, he's just some random dude we found on the street. What would he know about character, plot, and stories.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No. Having JGL as Batman is not an option. Batman is Bruce Wayne, plain and simple. If DC were to use Nolan's version of the character, I'd rather he simply came back from retirement because Robin there simply wasn't up to snuff.

Option 5: Lay the groundwork by making it a LOTR-styled trilogy: one movie released each summer, laying out the plot and introducing characters over the course of the first two movies, with the big payoff and the team fully assembled in the final chapter. It's still risky but it's much better than launching one JL movie without any groundwork/origin stories before hand. Now how to plant these ideas into the mind of an idiot Warner suit... [face_thinking]

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Y'know, guys, I think I came across a bit snarky in the past few posts. Apologies all round for that -- Slowpokeking, EmpireForever in particular. My concerns and objections stand, but they didn't have to be expressed like that. Sorry.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Slowpoke are you just saying Beckinsale as WW because of some masturbatory need?

V-2 likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah what the **** is with the obsession with Beckinsale? She's pretty and a halfway decent actress, but I just can't see her as Wonder Woman.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They tried to, and they failed so they have to find another way.

It doesn't matter, let GL follow Nolan's Batman's style since Batman>Lantern and the movie is much more successful.

MoS isn't going to have too big of a clash to Nolan's trilogy, and just let Lantern follow the style or just start with John Stewart as the Lantern.

If you want to compare, it would be better to compare WB with Disney, WB didn't care that much about DC's movies because they had Harry Potter, now it's over and they will switch their focus because of Marvel's success.

No, her appearance fit WW and she's good at action scene, her skill is enough to handle the character as well.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not saying WW is simple character, but in JL movie, which has at least 5 heroes and the most important characters are S&B, she would not have much time for her character development.

WW is difficult but that's not because her character is more complex than S&B or require a lot of acting skills. The problem is compare to S&B it's more difficult to pick an actress who fit her, especially after Lynda Carter's portrayal long long ago, and it's hard to make a successful superheroine leading movie since there is no success before, especially the big failure of Catwoman. Her story is also a bit out of date(fighting Nazi) This guy also didn't mention much about acting skill.

Nah, the cartoon pretty much let people know who they are, and overall, JL heroes are more famous than the Avengers. We don't see Nick Fury, Hawkeye or Black Widow have their own film, Flash and John could just show up in previous movies like Hawk Eye did.

If MoS flops, then there will not be a JL.

It doesn't matter to the box office, as long as it succeed there will be new solo movies.

3 is not JL, again.