main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Justice League

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well you see Zack Snyder is directing this way because he's being manipulated by Darkseid. It makes perfect sense if you look at the second draft of the script and this IGN interview with a stack of $100 bills.

tom likes this.
  2. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008

I like it.

Jedi Merkurian and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Affleck looks miserable. Can't really say I blame him.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  4. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I dont like Cyborg's CGI. Looks bad. I wish I had hopes for this film, but given what has come before, I'm just scared

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Was finally able to watch the trailer on a monitor- which helped the teaser somewhat since it's difficult to make out what is happening in a lot of shots on a phone screen (though, surprisingly, I still have a hard time figuring out a few shots even after watching them a few times on a monitor- Snyder is usually better at the visuals than this, though the rapid cutting at times does probably make some worse than they might be in the final film).

Overall, it's almost a really good teaser trailer. They wasted too much time on the Han Solo in Hoth Gear opening though- that runtime should have been given to the character introduction segments to allow some of them to linger better instead of the fast edits which prevent any of the moments in each segment from really landing with the viewer (the beer joke, everything going on with Cyborg, half of the Bat action shots, etc), which gives the whole teaser a very rushed feeling and tales away trailer-narrative support for the money shots.

Visual problems and pacing problems aside, I dig the Come Together cover (then again, it took more than a year for me to discover that the Aerosmith version off the Armageddon soundtrack was a cover, so it's not a song I have a strong association with it's original incarnation) and Momoa definitely steals the show- and I like the overall tone here. Wonder Woman's cool "Shall we?" moment is probably the best non-Momoa part of the trailer too.

On the whole, while a step back compared to the BVS trailers, it actually feels promising so far. Hopefully the next trailer will iron out the structural problems and really deliver.

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Bunch of the effects look like placeholders. A little disappointed in how empty the spaces feel.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This caught my eye. Mother Boxes all over the place. As they are used to summon boom tubes this then has quite a bit in common with the MCU and Avengers story.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think making the shots busier will do them any favors.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It... depends? I sort of agree with certain things like some of the Cyborg shots feeling like "not final" versions, and certainly going all the way back to X-Men with the unfinished Cyclops shot in the first trailer and fans going bananas over nothing (though, since we have 18 years to know this one wonders why anyone puts unfinished FX shots in a trailer for a tentpole), so I tend not to jump on that bandwagon as the finished effects in that case were more than good enough.

There's a LOT of CGI stuff that gets done that you don't notice in a lot of cases, even in movies you don't think have any CGI, let alone a lot...

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I do hope that Jason Mamoa sounds like something resembling a human being in this rather than some hillbilly gargling marbles in every other film he's done.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

The bit on the Batmobile at the end looks like something out of the first Sin City movie or Grindhouse - where they're drawing attention to the effects.

And I'm not saying they need to busy things up, I'm saying the shots themselves feel empty, devoid of people. It feels remarkably forced that there are NO civilians around in harm's way that need saving.

EDIT: I'm struggling to explain what it feels like to me, but it's mostly just that the line between what's a digital stunt double and the actor feels incredibly apparent. These films really struggle to show how these characters move, across the board.

The2ndQuest and Darthmaul208 like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I get what your saying. It's Mos Eisley in SOTE on N64 with the lack of civvies. Just the hero(es) and bad guy henchmen.

On the flip side, throwing in too much background detail/motion can fall into the "just throw a crap ton of moving CGI detail" trap that these films (and many other blockbusters) tend to fall into.

So, having that simplicity of composition/environment could potentially be a benefit (though it would be nice if it resulted in more believable CGI stuntman motion...). Not necessarily the case though- they're not mutually exclusive.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I've got to say I'm still pretty shocked after all these years that WB ok'd Zack Snyder to shepherd this series, given that prior to Man of Steel he bombed big time with Sucker Punch.

14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    This looks beyond bad. Everyone looks so out of character. I've long been a DC fan but their recent comic book and movie offerings are terrible. I'll stick with the Dark Knight trilogy :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    ****, if that was the case, Hollywood would be short of directors. A lot of directors have had a bomb right before they did something big. Fortunately, Snyder had hits before then.

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Sure, and the Chris Nolan appointment factor was a huge influence as well.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Better than expected, so there's a glimmer of hope. I don't want DC to fail, I just haven't enjoyed many of their past movies.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Ender Sai like this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That doesn't look too good to me. And that usage of that Come Together cover almost sounds like a joke somehow... just a really cheesy cover of the song, and a way too obvious reference to the heroes "coming together". Like they wanted to hint at "assemble".

19. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    It's about as cheesy as the tagline "Justice for all" that they're going with, and taking into account that we're suspending disbelief far enough to imagine a world where a Kryptonian, an Atlantean, an Amazon, a meta-human, a cyborg and a billionaire who dresses like a bat are fighting together against a major threat from outer space, well... Cheesy is kind of part of the deal, so my only concern is that the cheese is well-mixed with the other ingredients.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Flash is just still cringe-inducingly bad. I have to admit I'm surprised by how much fun Momoa seems to be having. Maybe he'll be the wild-card figure here to lighten all the grim self-seriousness. The DCU could use a fun character.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The whole "Unite the League" tag line is a way more obvious attempt at spinning their own "Avengers Assemble!"-type line.

Jedi Merkurian and EHT like this.
  22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    If they replaced Batfleck with Lego Batman I'd go see this movie.

EHT likes this.
  23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I actually like the use of that song for this, though I agree on Barry Allen, but that's because after a couple years watching the Flash, Grant Gustin will always be my Flash.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Momoa's Aquaman in the trailer reminds me of this guy:

[​IMG]

25. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    It's a shame that Superman Returns didn't turn out better, because, for all its failings, Singer captured the precise tone that I wish had been replicated for the subsequent films: breezy yet stately.

All we get here in this trailer is grim posturing and Avengers-styled sass. (Was that Aquaman or Lobo?)