main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Justice League

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 15, 2016.

1. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    So Whedon is liking tweets that trash the film, refusing to say anything positive about it himself, and instead praising the competition (Thor 3)...Not surprised.

He pulled a similar stunt during the marketing of Avengers 2, when he kept throwing shade at Marvel for making him cut down the film, and also criticizing their other actions at the time (like choosing to make Daredevil a show instead of a movie and what not). Funny enough, he also praised the competition at that time by saying how excited he was for Batman vs. Superman and how much he'd like to direct a DC film (I think he was referring specifically to Batgirl but I'm not sure). He also got slammed by angry fans on Twitter during that film's release. The man clearly does not have social media game.

This time around it's far more insulting of him to be behaving this way though imo, considering that he was asked to finish the film on behalf of someone who had to step down during a family tragedy. You'd think he'd show a little more respect and not go about liking tweets negative tweets. I mean, I get that everyone has freedom of speech and everything, but still...

Point is, Whedon is just not professional when it comes to the marketing/promotional side of his films. He clearly has strange, impulsive behaviors and basically just says whatever is on his mind without any filter. Some people are just like that, but I think that when you're involved in such highly publicized work as this, it's important to take in a certain degree of professionalism and be careful about what you say. He should consult with PR the next time he's involved with a big-profile movie (assuming there even is a "next time" for him). I like most of his work, but I think he's passed his prime.

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    at 37% RT score, JL still 10 points higher than BvS

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think it'll end around 35ish. Metacritic at 47, probably will end around 45.

Ken, time to break out the good stuff.

HELLO DARKNESS, MY OLD FRIEND

Rylo Ken likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Just got back from seeing it and I don't remember seeing the "leather bikinis", there were a few who wore costumes that showed their (impressive) abs but the majority of the costumes looked like they did in Wonder Woman.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Sarge like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Just got back from it as well.

It's a mess, tonally, but in a way that shows two directors worked on it. Not in a way that makes it a bad film. There's genuine heart in there, and aside from bad CGI on the Cavill top lip, it never fails to entertain. Ezra Miller and Jason Momoa, along with Gal Gadot, are the heart of this. I'm also still a huge fan of Batfleck.

I think I prefer the extended BvS because of the story you don't see on the theatrical cut, but for this - I could watch it again, happily.

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Oh man it's crazy how bad the CGI is for Cavill....but yeah, agree with Ender's review though I think I prefered this to Batman v Superman.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The other thing to note; Cavill's Superman (which is not a spoiler since the OP of this very thread has him there, in costume, as part of the promo images) finally starts to feel like I think many wanted him to feel. I would go so far as to say two of the absolute best teaser trailers in the last 20 years have been for Superman films:

You will give the people an ideal to strive towards.

They will race behind you; they will stumble, they will fall.

But in time, they will join you in the sun.

In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.

They can be a great people, Kal-El; they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way.

The films' take so far was that a world in which a Donald Trump can thrive is a world that would reject Superman. All evidence of his benevolence would be rejected as expertise is rejected now in favour of the "common wisdom" of the common man. Intolerance, bigotry - they wouldn't evaporate in the face of powers that challenge (if not destroy) the basis of religion.

And to be fair they've given their take the Big Yellow Taxi treatment, and the world realises what it did to Superman which means Superman can be, well, super. An ideal to strive towards. A light to show the way.

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Movie was decent imo.!!

10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Justice League was awesome. We had such a good time at the theater. The audience I was with was laughing and very engaged and nearly everyone stayed for the post credit scenes.

So many bad *** moments in this film, lots of humor, excellent cast. Was such a thrill to see all these characters on the screen together. I got the chills several times seeing them finally interact in live action.

Some well acted emotional moments too.
    I loved DE's score. It was subtle and masterful at the same time.
    I liked the villain and his minions too and the CGI didn't bother me one bit.

I heard what Grace Randolph was saying about the Amazon's costumes and the cleavage joke, but she is overreacting, imo. I like Grace, she is very knowledgable about comics and films, but most of the Amazon's have the same costumes as in WW. People, as usual, are looking for stuff to complain about.
    And Flash and WW are involved in a fierce battle, they crash and he lands on top of her for like one second, instantly jumps off of her and looks embarrassed. That's it. No dialogue. Blink and you'll miss it. It is not a big deal or anything to get worked up about. There is much more crass humor contained in the GotG films for example. No contest there.

Anyhow, I highly recommend this for DC fans and fans of these characters. It's an awesome film.
    I'm not going to be paying attention to all of the inevitable negativity that has already started online. This film deserves good reviews and at least an 80% rating or whatever.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    what?! that's by far the most entertaining thing about all of this.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So the domestic opening for JL is $13 million and $16 million in China. Though word has it that the marketing budget was $200 million.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    JL has to make $900 million-$1 billion worldwide just to break even if its production and marketing costs are $500 million.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Which is probably why WB didn't push back the release date until sometime next year to continue to work on the film.

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so are both Whedon and Snyder credited as directors ?

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Nope. Unless the directors are siblings like the Cohens, Russos or Wachowskis, the Directors Guild of America only allows a single director to be credited for a film. For Justice League it's Zack Snyder. However, Whedon does have a writing credit, IIRC.

17. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm pretty sure it only credits Snyder as the director in the opening credits.....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't think that's true. i know at least that there are husband and wife teams as well, the directors of little miss sunshine, and the duo who directed american splendor for instance. pretty sure there are other directing teams who aren't related at all.

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Just came back from it, overall I love this movie, full of actions.

DC FINALLY realized that NOBODY comes to see heroes being feared and hated by people, they want to see action and heroes unite to fight big bad first. In this movie they pretty much disregarded the dark tone from MoS and BVS, which was 100% RIGHT, MOS would have been great instead of decent/ok without this tone.

The action was cool, every hero was handled correctly, they didn't choose to nerf Superman and still kept Wonder Woman&Aquaman badass through the plot design.

Of course, the lack of previous installments and the length made the movie a bit too rushed, especially how did they form this team. It could have been better if we've got 1-2 more movies before this one to set it up. The actors were fine, even Ben and Gal tried their best, just none of them were spectacular like RDJ.

Superman's resurrection and come back to sense could have been handled better, especially regaining his mind should be more than just LOIS.

The villains were pretty much the weakest part of this movie. It got little plot and characterization, and was quite weak. I just don't get it why did they use Steppenwolf when DC got tons of better villains. Brainiac would have been. He really sucks before Zod and his crew.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It's possible that those directors were not part of the Directors Guild of America ("DGA") during the production of the movies or they made a request to the DGA to have multiple directors receive credits or there were multiple stories or languages in the film as described in the DGA's Basic Agreement below.

Basic rule of thumb is one director credit per movie.

Singularity of Vision:
    The origin of the one director to a film policy.

gezvader28 likes this.
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ah yeah, sounds like the one director rule doesn't apply to "bona fide teams". it doesn't say anything about them having to be siblings as far as i can tell. interesting, thanks for the info.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    A director has to film over forty percent of the film, in order to receive sole credit. This was the reason so much of "Superman II" was re-shot in the first place and add on the removal of Brando, you get Richard Lester instead of Richard Donner. Whedon didn't film enough new material to replace Snyder's material, even if what was cut was a combination of the two.

Right. Totally different rules and standards there.

gezvader28 likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Only in the same way that typing "parkour fails" into YouTube is the most entertaining part about YouTube. :D

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you're on the wrong side of history here enderz. it's okay, some of us defended the prequels when they were new. we eventually learned to live it down.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Are you saying you've never watched "parkour fails"?