main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Justice League

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 15, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the Batfight choreography was not the Arkham-like caliber that shined in BVS.

You should probably be thankful they used Steppenwolf then- because if they had used any other character they would have been written into the same generic villain role and essentially wasted.

Now they can (hopefully) learn from their BVS/JL & WW (finale) villain problems and use those other unused villains in better written roles for future films (JL or solo).

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So what was the point of combining the 3 Mother Boxes? Was it to terraform the Earth which was the exact plot of Man of Steel?

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Sort of, I guess. Steppenwolf wants to give Earth to Darkseid, Zod wants it for himself.

Very little originality when it comes to motivations these days in villains. Loki/Ronan/Hela, Ego/Thanos, etc. They're all either wanting to rule, get back at a daddy figure, just destroy everything for fun (Ultron/Malekith), or take over the universe.

Makes one appreciate The Joker and Alexander Pierce a bit more.

4. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Some men just like to watch the world burn.
    [​IMG]

5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    If it was someone else they would handle it better.

Ares was the best choice for WW, just the cast was terrible and the fighting scene was questionable.

Ares is a very handsome and strong god and they picked...Lupin? It's ok for him to play the disguise but they need another one for his real form. Maybe Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The same people would have written the same script needing the same generic villain threat developed concurrently with the same BVS film and it would have been shot and edited by the same people with the same studio runtime demands reacting to the same MOS/BVS backlash.

Using a different character wouldn’t have suddenly inspired them to change course and “handle it better”- especially since they wouldn’t have believed they were handling it “wrong” in the first place.

Nothing would have changed any of that.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Which is basically how
    Darkseid wants the Earth to be. See "Apokolips....Now!!!" and "Destroyer", where Darkseid's minions begin setting up Fire Pits on Earth.

Considering that eight months ago, you were saying he was the worst choice for a villain.

A Batman who didn't use any strategy other than taking advantage of a nimrod's stupidity and socking him in the nose?

It's grown to include Duke Thomas/The Signal, Gotham Girl, Clayface Basil Karlo, Azrael/Jean Paul Valley, The Spoiler, Cassandra Cain/Orphan and now his fiance, Catwoman. Bluebird/Harper Row had worked with them for a while, but retired from the crime fighting gig.

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    New poster, featuring the "surprise" character.

[​IMG]

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Ares is probably the best villain of WW since most of her villains suck, I just think Ares should be the protector of the Amazons like he was in the mythology.

Steppenwolf is a generic and bland villain in the comic, nothing special unless amazing works are done. With a "safer" choice it would be much better since there is better source material even if they don't want to do extra work.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Why did they give him an awful CGI face though?

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes the worst CGI crime in this film is Step's face. :p

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Aquaman was freakin GOAT!

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You don't understand how to use this, and therefore are overusing it badly.

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I just saw it for a second time and still loved it. In fact any complaints that I had the first time, I don’t have as much now. 9/10. Maybe 9.5/10. I’m not sure. I loved it.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    lol

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Matt Martin of the Lucasfilm Story Group tweeted that he is a Flash fan now after seeing Justice League. This makes me sad for two reasons:
    1) he's never seen the CW Flash so his only basis for his liking of the character is Ezra Miller performance. Miller's performance was very cheesy and every scene is played like he's looking at something new for the first time, which he is because he's "off the grid" for some reason that is never explained or at least I missed it. But isn't he trying to save his father and take classes to get his criminal degree? He got to paying for that somehow to earn it legitimately and he's enrolled somewhere, right, so I wouldn't exactly call that off the grid. Even if he's taking online courses, he's still online, and his name has to be on his degree for it to be of any use.

IMO, Grant Gustin is a better Flash compared to Ezra Miller. Poorly written CW story-lines aside, I also think Grant is the superior actor between the two. Other than that, my only basis for comparison is cartoon movie and tv show representations of Flash. I haven't read any comics, but he seems to be very smart, a bit of smart-ass, but all heart. I think Grant nails it each week while Ezra just did ok. It's a shame we didn't get a Flash standalone before his character was jammed into the JL movie with two other brand new characters.
    2) I really hope he doesn't use what he saw in the movie as inspiration at his job in the story group. I know they aren't going to blatantly steal or copy any ideas from Justice League, but it should NOT be used as a source for inspiration. If anything, it should be used as a model of what NOT to do, you know, the same way one should take inspiration from a Transformers movie.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Love Grant. Of course on Flash, and in everything he's ever done.

Would have loved for he and Amell to cross into the cinematic universe in the same way Clark Gregg and Hayley Atwell did.

That being said, Ezra has proven to be absolutely fantastic in the limited amount of screen time that we've seen him. Two very different takes on the character, I'd say, but both good ones.

18. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I liked it. I thought that it was great how they tied Batman/Bruce's arc pretty well to BvS, in that he was paranoid and angry and in JL he realizes he is in a position to save humanity with good people around him. He believe's in the goodness of humanity again. Best line of the film...

Yeah, now she's glad.

Dagobahsystem and heels1785 like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Liked that one. Liked Bruce's line to Diana that went something like:

If we get through tonight, you can start dressing up as a bat every night, and I won't even sue.

Could totally hear Tony Stark saying something similar. Loved the Whedon presence in the dialogue, mostly worked great.

Also, Jeremy Irons. Wasn't the only source of wit like BvS, but he was just as hilarious. Michael Caine's Alfred was as close to perfect as I thought anyone could get, but I'm a real fan of this version, too.

Darth_Furio and Dagobahsystem like this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

You and Ender missed the point of my comment when I said this:

To reiterate my point, since you guys weren't focusing on it, the Batman in Justice League is tonally different from Batman v Superman. He's more Tony Stark, "look how rich and quippy I am. And I have alot of cool vehicles." In other words, he's more Bruce Wayne than Batman.

John Campea, the creator of the MovieBlob and a well know YouTube movie pundit, is a defender and lover of Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, and Justice League (seen it 5 times) recognized and acknowledges a tonal shift in persona of Batman in Justice League in this clip starting at the 43:48 mark:

Campea notes in the clip:

"I was not thrilled with what they did with Batman... and notes the exchange between Batman and ...

Superman, when Superman says, "Well, I know you didn't bring me back because you liked me." And Batman responds, "I don't not like you."

Which Campea says "That was stupid. That was dumb."

I can't argue with Grant Morrison's quality of work. But to say that the Batman is Justice League is anything near something that Grant Morrison would write is laughable. It's very doubtful that Morrison would write a Batman that's more Bruce Wayne than Batman, and have Bruce Wayne not know what Flash's/Barry Allen's superpower is even after having stolen files on the guy from Lex Luthor and files given by Amanda Waller. Batman is Justice League is poorly written.

Batman makes sure any potential team member is fully vetted, where he knows that person's strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, Batman would ensure that teammate is combat ready before going on a mission.

I remember I didn't watch season one of the TV series Arrow because I thought it was knocking off the Batman persona so hard, but gave the show another try later on and it still gave Ollie that Batman vibe which was noted in this clip when Batman ERRRRRR, Arrow takes on Barry Allen as a recruit.

Arrow takes on a second family and makes sure they're battle ready too

BTW, Batman punching Guy Gardner in the nose was pure strategy and personifies his character in that he's a person that creates fear and intimidation. Moreover, knowing that he doesn't have any superpowers and his authority is being challenged as such, Batman strategically sucker punches Guy in the nose because he knows he'll have only on shot at doing it and to demonstrate he's the alpha dog on the team.

21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I was never really sold on Ezra being cast as the Flash, but I absolutely loved him in JL. I still like Grant better for now.

One of my favourite lines was actually from Alfred. It went something like this:
    Diana: Looks like I’ve got a date.
    Alfred: It’s about time someone around here did.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that's a good line.

I was thinking about the rumor of Ben Affleck leaving the role of Batman and I don't recall that he's ever uttered the words "I'm Batman" in Justice League or even in BvS. And if that's the case, I think the line where Bruce Wayne responds to Barry Allen's question, "what's your superpower?" (instead of saying "I'm rich") should have said, "I'm Batman" which is really a nod to the other Batman flicks (including Lego Batman) and truly a "mic drop" moment.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

24. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm going to torrent MI:6 in retaliation.

heels1785 likes this.