main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Justice League

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Justice League: War? That’s my favourite animated comic book film!

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Have you seen Mask of the Phantasm, Jordan?

Give that a watch if and when you can - it impacted the way I evaluate the DC animated films - hold them to a much higher standard.

And some people did like War, so I'm not implying that you're somehow wrong - I just really, really did not enjoy it.

3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Mask of the Phantasm is excellent.

I also really liked Batman: Year One and Justice League: The New Frontier

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ve watched Mask of the Phantasm, but I was half asleep, so I’m not going to judge it fairly.

My other favourites that I’ve seen are The Flashpoint Paradox, Assault on Arkham and Batman vs. Robin.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

It is literally one of the worst DC animated films. It's unbelivably bad.

Why is your bar set so low?

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Says the guy who put Quantum of Solace as the second best Bond film. I haven’t heard bad things about it until now.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, the adaptation of the animated from the comic book was lacking. It took me awhile and a few rewatching to finally warm up to Justice League War.

And while we're on the subject of DC Animated films, here my list of favorites in no particular order:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm It's been a very, very long time since I've seen this film. I don't remember much about it other than liking it so much. I still have the VHS Clamshell version sitting on my shelf.

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - I feel it's the best adaption from comic book to animation as the characterizations of the characters are dead on and the Wonder Woman/Big Barda fight choreography with the Furies is outstanding as shown in this YouTube clip:

The Unrated Version of The Return of the Joker - was both creepy and thrilling as it had that horrible incident. The mystery of the plot draws the viewer in.

The Dark Knight Returns

I hated the Wonder Woman animated film because it had Steve Trevor rescuing Wonder Woman and bringing her to a hospital in her origin story. I thought that was a disservice and sexist towards Wonder Woman.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Well, QOS doesn't work with people who can't think and watch Bond at the same time. The fact the plot if nuanced, grounded in Fleming, and requires you to pay attention for the payoff is probably why casuals don't like it.

Casuals don't like OHMSS either, but it's been the #1 film of the official fan club for decades.

The peaks of the DC Animated films are, in no order:

Wonder Woman
    Batman/Superman
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Batman: Dark Knight Returns 1 and 2 (controversially missing the inner monologue)
    Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox
    Justice League: New Frontier
    All-Star Superman

Batman: Year One is worth it just for Bryan Cranston as Jim Gordon; and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths isn't bad either.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That was a fun line in the trailers but made weird in the film since there’s now a scene in the village early in where he’s introduced to the Bat costume concept, so his surprise/“well, that’s weird” reaction on the rooftop seems out of place.

Jedi_Samurai likes this.
  10. Jedi_Samurai

Jedi_Samurai Jedi Grand Master

Oct 4, 1999
    I just got out of seeing Justice League a second time and I did not leave the theater disappointed as I didn’t have the same hopes and expectations. Additionally, a couple of the script problems regarding the Amazons and Atlanteans that I posted earlier were addressed in the film and some the hard edit cuts weren’t as I initially felt during my first viewing. Justice League upon my second viewing moved up to 2nd on my DCEU list behind Wonder Woman and maybe ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 in my rankings of 2017 comic book movies.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I gotta say there’s a certain artistic integrity in insisting to do all SFX using exclusively Poser and Adobe After Effects. My hat’s off.

Rylo Ken and dp4m like this.
  12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    must admit I was a little disappointed that they didn't play "Born to be Wild" when Steppy turned up .

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You're being kind. War is garbage. The absolutely worst portrayal of the League I have ever seen, in any medium. If that set the tone of the New 52, then that reboot outlasted its welcome far too long.

But yes, Mask of the Phantasm is the high standard any DC film - animated or otherwise - should set its sights at.

Ender Sai and heels1785 like this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It is fantastic. I enjoy the Batman/Superman film "World's Finest" from that era too (which was 3 episodes of Superman TAS combined, I think). It's a bit hammier, but really a fun watch.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Which is why it is slowly being pushed to the side and we can all thank the desire to have this...

[​IMG]

The choice to give Superman a son lead to "Rebirth".

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

They're all "edgy", which is apparently millennial speak for saying they're all titanic ********s. None of them are likeable, they're all hyper-macho alpha male imbeciles or infantile gits. It's objectively an awful film.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    There is one enjoyable, humorous moment represented entirely with this 3 second gif.

[​IMG]

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Green Lantern is a metaphor for the audience in that clip.

19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    [face_laugh]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, War is the worst. A weird misstep.

Ender Sai likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Was it a misstep though?

It feels like at a point they just decided to make bad films.

Son of Batman. Assault on Arkham. Batman v Robin. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis. Bad Blood.

I've not seen Batman & Harley Quinn, but the buzz isn't great. Justice League Dark was good but not great, not on par with the first half of the DCAU's output.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sorry, guys, as much as I liked Justice League, the crossover Crisis on Earth-X just ate its lunch... holy moly...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    heels1785 likes this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yes. Too much chaos within the ranks - can't disguise the stench of it in this day and age, unfortunately.

I still hope they can build and grow from these disappointments, but that possibility diminishes with each setback.

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think DC's problem is whoever is producing or generally in charge .
    Marvel seems to have a terrific team that can work well with all sorts of directors , thats what DC needs .