main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JVC- mini????

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by cyrax037, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyrax037

cyrax037 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    Ok, I got a question about a camera, The JVC mini DV,
    model # GR-D37OU. What is the quality of that cam? Is it desent for filming? Its pretty much the only digital I'm going ot be able to get right now cuz I can only rent one, I don't have to cash to purchase one outright. Would this cam be good to film with, What are the pros and cons? Please help!!!!

2. Kaurotu

Kaurotu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006
    It all depends on what you're using it for. If you're just doing some effects tests like rotoscoping then yeah it's fine. Now for actual films, it would be descent if that's all you can afford, but I would save up more money and get one that you can manually set the focus and all the other settings so it doesn't keep unfocusing then refocusing. In other words, don't get a "point-and-shoot" camera.

3. dvdcdr

dvdcdr Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2006
    I agree it depends on what u use it 4. I have a JVC mini DV camera (not exactly sure what the exact model number is at the moment) and i find that the more special effects, the more use i get out of it. For example, if you want to do keying with it just film your talent sideways and then in your keying software rotate it ninety degrees and the hight could increase your quality by 50 percent if it's widescreen. If you plan on having action scenes and stuff, stay away from the handheld, and probably make a lot of it CGI. Then again, if u can afford all that software then why not get a good camera (hey why am i asking this? im in that same boat):confused:

4. cyrax037

Apr 13, 2006
    yeah, right now its pretty much all I can get right now. Its only 20 bucks to rent it for a week. What I will be useing it for is a few long shots whice I want the faces kinda obstructed so you can't really tell what they look like, just hinted at.(The reason will be obvious when its done) and then a couple of other shots like that mugging scene I mentioned on one of my other posts. Its realy a bounce between the mugger, and the "hero" with the victim in the background. This film will have action scenes but 90% of then will be done with greenscreen and cgi/miniture whice I'll probably have someone make that for me cuz I have 0 experiance and telent when comes to cgi rendering lol. So what would I have to do to get decent shots with this cam? I'm also kinda under a time cruch cuz a couple of my actors are only available for a couple of days and if I don't get their scenes shot then, then its not going to happen atall. Any tips would be greatly appriciated!!!!

5. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Why not just save that $20 a week?

6. dvdcdr

dvdcdr Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2006
    You should be fine with the JVC mini

7. cyrax037

Apr 13, 2006
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Right now, I am just going to need it the one week, cuz b4 I star doing my major shots, the greenscreen shots and stuff like that, I gotta get a new computer that can handel the editing, and the programs needed, as well as the capture card and stuff. But due to the time crunch I need to get a few shots done between the 13th and 16th. My main star only works with people he trusts, and a certain role there is only one person I know that can play him, and has the relationship with the star to work, and that is my brother. He's going to basic soon and him and is wife are going to visit on that weekend so I gotta get it filmed then!!! Heck, I haven't even completly writen it out yet LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.