main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kaminski for E3?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Long_J_B, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long_J_B

Long_J_B Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    Several services around the web posted that Janusz Kamiñski will be director of photogrphy in E3. So. What do you think?
    As for me- I think it is sooo cool. :D I mean he's great. Real profesionalist and fantastisc filmmaker. It will really work for E3.
    Well... hard to belive it, I think. Aspecially that it's not yet confirmed. But what if it IS true..?

2. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Who is this guy?

What has he worked on?

Can you post a link to prove your statement?

3. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    If id like anyone to be a special "mood-creator" i'd like it to be David Lynch. But its silly !!! Why do you want anyone else for the task of creating and enhancing EpIII, rather than the brilliant people already working on EpII ? Tis a silly thing.

4. Darth_Darren

Darth_Darren Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    I doubt it's true. Simply because EpIII is going to be shot on digital and (if janusz is like any other director of photography that I know) I don't think he'll want to shoot on anything but film.

It would be cool though.

5. Long_J_B

Apr 29, 2002
    Well, Kamiñski is the one that Steven Spielberg worked very often with. He was working on "Schindler's list", "Saving privet Ryan" and several other Spielberg movies. Recently he made "Minority report".
    He also directed his own film: "Lost souls" with Winona Rider.

6. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    So he is :eek: ... here's is a link that says so!
    Wow that guy is the best director of photography at this moment in my opinion :) if this is true...then all I can say is WOW :D I mean.....WOW :)

7. flyingseal

Mar 20, 2002
    Yo this is important people :D...the greatest of all is going to do the photography for Episode III !! (or so it seems :p :D )

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    If its true, great.
    I adore the visuals that I've seen from Ep I & II but using one of the best in the business is not something I have a problem with.

9. flyingseal

Mar 20, 2002
    Can we conclude from that that episode III will have less blue/green screen and more inside and "real" nature shots ???

10. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I'd like to believe this, but: a) He may share Spielberg's view on the celluloid vs. digital debate. b) Neither TFN nor StarWars.com have reported on this.

11. flyingseal

Mar 20, 2002
    Awaiting confirmation then :eek: ... fingers crossed :p

12. Darth_Darren

Darth_Darren Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    IMDB backs it up, and usually they're dead on about information. But, I still can't fully believe this becasue I think he's one of those DP's who would refuse to shoot on DV, he would prefer film.

13. Darthfunkasourous

Darthfunkasourous Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Um imdb is all fan info dude,not true at all

14. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Heh...? This is weird. ?[face_plain]

This guy is one of my all time favourite DPs, but the real questions are 1)Why would Lucas ditch Tattersall, and 2)Why would a deal have been done with Kaminski a full year before production? That would mean Lucas was over-anxious to work with him, and I'm not sure that I buy that.

For the digital thing; Don't be too quick to assume he wouldn't go digital. This guy did do Jurassic Park, and he's done plenty of other FX-heavy and digitally enhanced movies. Not so unlikely that he'd want to try digital filming too.

But...I'm just really confused about this.

15. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    This actually makes sense.

Kaminski on Episode III would go a long way to legitimize digital as a worthy medium to replace film. And come on, we all know it's going to happen eventually. The people in Hollywood (and elsewhere) trying to vilify DV remind me of those who tried to stop "talkies" from taking over films.

Dinosaurs die out eventually.

Here's another step Lucas in apparently taking in that regard:

(from Jedinet.com)

"George Lucas drops a bomb on theater and cinema owners in the current issue of Wired magazine. Apparently the Wars guru stated that Episode III will only be available for those movie houses that have digital equipment and screens available. Here's a brief quote from ShowBizData which tells all:

Lucas has said that no theater will be allowed to show Episode III unless it is equipped with digital projectors.

There you have it. Looks like the push to digital might come sooner than expected for grumpy theater chain monarchs."

Give em' hell, George.

-Otis

16. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Can you not say E3...this is E3.

17. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    imdb.com is not reliable. Tattersall will be back for Episode III.

18. flyingseal

Mar 20, 2002
    Yeah I have to say IMDB has been wrong about a lot of things before...but they must have it from somewhere, I mean they didn't made it up...

19. Long_J_B

Apr 29, 2002

E3... :(

Oh... Stupid me... :D But what can I do, I can't change it. It just happend and I have to live with it. ;)

20. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    "I mean they didn't made it up..."

No, but whoever submitted the info could have. It's not like imdb is known for their dilligent fact-checking.

21. flyingseal

Mar 20, 2002
    I know :( ... I just hope it's true :)

22. Long_J_B

Apr 29, 2002
    Unfortunately, there is a info on www.stopklatka.pl about the interview, for this site, in wich Kamiñski totally denies that speculation. He sais, that he will not make SW, because he has no respect for it, for it is made with digital camera.

The site is polish.

23. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `He sais, that he will not make SW, because he has no respect for it, for it is made with digital camera.'

Oh the poor lamb.

24. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I think he is a poor choice for DP of Ep3.

Look at The Lost World, for example. The mood of that movie just did NOT jive the kind of movie that Spielberg was making. Spielberg was making a monster movie. Kaminski treated it like a horror movie. Didn't work.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts that imdb is WRONG!

25. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Kaminski's one of the great cinematographers, but his expertise is solely with the way light works in tandem with film. There would be absolutely no point to hiring him for Episode III, any more than there would be a point to hiring him for an animated film. It's not his medium, not his field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.