main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Kanan #12: First Blood, Epilogue: The Ties That Bind (Series Finale!!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Mar 10, 2016.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

John Jackson Miller was the one that created her in New Dawn.

spicer, Taalcon and TiniTinyTony like this.
  2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    And Chuck Wendig did a fantastic job developing her in Aftermath, and Jason Fry contributed a significant portrayal and development of her character in the short "The Levels of Power".

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm really torn. I don't want her to have anything to do with those First Order monsters. She's better than that.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So your options are death or assimilation into the NR.

Karl0413 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I tweeted at Mr. Miller and haven't heard a response as of yet. Greg Weisman did say that he probably could hear Taylor Gray as the voice of Caleb.

6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I really liked this series, and am sad its coming to and end. I will miss this as a sort of continuation of the Clone Wars. I notice past threads on the series only survive a couple pages and die off quietly but this one has been on the top of the page for several days. Just goes to show the great arts are never appreciated until its to late. :_|

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Correct, actually. I somewhat expect her to switch sides when she sees how messed up the dregs of the Empire have become, but I could also see her going down with the ship (perhaps literally, on Jakku).

8. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Are they monsters? I mean, at least their tie fighters come with an escape pod of some kind! And it's not like planetary annihilation and the murder of civilians were stranger to the Empire.

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It was a good issue, aside some facial expressions that makes me cringe. I did expect to see Kasmir a some point, but not like that and it was well done, liked the parallels. Don't know too much about Sloane but it's great to see connection between comics and books, I expect her to appear on Rebels at some point with her history with Kanan, that would make a good story. And stormtroopers nearly not falling for the trick, what a shock! :eek:

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Empire knew it was wrong and tried to hide it, and only Tarkin-style officers were involved with such project. The First Order makes genocide their central ethos and narrative arc.

11. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    As opposed to the Death Star?

12. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    The Lasat genocide does not seem to be particularly "hidden". It was even meant to be an example.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Kallus seems to suggest it wasn't supposed to happen that way.

Tarkin may have intended it to be a highly visible threat, but the extent to which the Empire downplayed it and tried to hide it suggests the opposite. SKB on the other hand was used as the defining moment of the FO.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, maybe - not so much the movies or the newcanon as far as I can tell.

15. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    Kallus seemed to suggest that it wasn't obvious to him what the end result would be when he enacted the orders but that he understood why the Empire did what it did.

If nothing else, the fact that even Maketh Tua was aware of the Lasat's extinction implies that it was something known by the lower echelons of the bureaucracy. Compare that to Geonosis, the truth of which Kallus doesn't know about because Palpatine & Co did it to protect a secret.

16. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Sloane is in this? Awesome. Sloane for Rebels season 3 too, please!

revan772 likes this.
  17. jafo

Oct 20, 2001
    Grand Admiral Jello said
    I disagree with this. Palpatine took the moment the Death Star went on line as an opportunity to disband the Senate. It was built in secret to prevent any attempt to stop it being built. Once built, this thing was not going to be secret. That its first on screen act is to destroy a planet of x billion people shows how the Empire want to use it. Anything else is speculation.

Visually, all we have is - DS goes on line, Senate disbanded, 'fear of this battlestation will keep the systems in line' (not a real good example of downplaying the DS there I'm afraid), DS blows up an inhabited planet at the first opportunity to show what can be achieved.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Speculation? I think that we're perfectly capable of drawing conclusions based on the information we have available. You've certainly done so: drawing a connection between the Death Star and the suspension of the Imperial Senate. I am not so certain that the two necessarily follow, but even assuming it's true, I don't know how your latter statement follows. The Death Star was used, therefore that's how it was intended to be used?

You also quote Tarkin there -- and it's telling, because I've noted that how Tarkin intended to use the station is not necessarily how the Empire intended to use it. All you've established with what you've laid out is 1. a circumstantial connection between the completion of the Death Star and the suspension of the Senate and 2. Tarkin's MO in using the Death Star.

The Star Wars Radio Drama shows Lord Vader objecting to Tarkin's use of the Death Star against Alderaan, noting that it was one of the foremost Core Worlds and that the Emperor should be consulted -- Tarkin rejects Vader's interference, saying that he runs the Death Star with a free hand and it's his call. This scene is not necessarily canon -- it was not adapted into the middle-grade novelization of ANH, but the author noted in interviews that the Radio Drama was one of the sources she was told that was considered canonical when she was adapting it.

It's hard to say and I don't really want to get into a canon or not canon discussion because those are profoundly wearisome. But the point is this: regardless of whether or not Lord Vader objected to the destruction of a Core World, Tarkin's use of the Death Star is not necessarily the Empire's intended use.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm sad that this was the last issue in the series. Will definitely miss it. I love the connection between the tv series and this comic. It is always great to get a good tie in like this comic series and novel (New Dawn). Star Wars is probably the only property that really has this interaction, both with this canon and legends. Still, sad to see this series end.

20. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Palpatine himself says as much in Darth Vader #1:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CooperTFN and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've noticed that.

Suffice to say that, canon or not, the radio drama is retconnable - an obvious example being "Roofoo the small time punk" being retconned into "Dr Evazan the mad scientist" back in the early days of the Legendsverse, and that retcon being kept for the newcanon.

That said - wasn't the "Jenny" scene from both the ANH Deleted Scenes, and the Radio Drama - before being drawn on for the newcanon novelization?

Maybe the Radio Drama should be thought of as like certain other Legends material - as a source that they are likely to draw on, even if they don't necessarily recanonize everything in it that's not in any movie?

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the 2nd arc of Kanan wasn't as propulsive as the first arc, generally Caleb on the run was great stuff, although it was neat to have a Clone Wars adventure. And unless the book was going to be a Rebels era, this does seem like a good way to wrap it up. It was fun to see Kanan as Kanan for a full issue and a couple of decent quips from Ezra, and the Slone cameo was great and she got to call him her "hobby" along with an Grand Inquisitor single panel of doom. Slone has a tendency to proclaim boldly a lot, which I like.

The final few pages where Kanan and his buddy are still sort of looking out for each other without even knowing it was downright sweet. Here's hoping they cross paths again because Kanan wouldn't be Kanan without his buddy looking out for him after Order 66 happened.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  23. jafo

Oct 20, 2001
    GrandAdmiralJello quotes
    I disagree. The scene starts with the group discussing the Senate. Tarkin enters and says they will no longer be a problem as the Emperor has disbanded them. He is then asked how will the Emperor keep the systems in line without the bureaucracy. The reply is that fear will keep the systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

As presented on screen, it is very clear what that battle station's job is. It is rule by fear and the thing is called a Death Star. It then blows up an inhabited planet - to make a point (Tarkin even says as much). What other possible use would a battle station called the Death Star with the power to destroy a planet have?

Now, you can try to defend the Emperor all you want but he put Tarkin in the position he holds. And I don't think you can make a strong case for the Emperor not knowing Tarkin's methods. The Empire were evil, they killed people indiscriminately. They ruled through fear. That culture and mode of operation started with the Emperor, the man at the top. No sensible case can be made for any other position.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Star Searcher

Star Searcher Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 14, 2016
    I think It'd be great if the did a seventh sister mini series.

25. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I'd certainly read it, though we're more likely to get a general miniseries about all the Inquisitors.