main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Kanan #6: The Last Padawan, Epilogue

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Sep 10, 2015.

1. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Oooh and here I was thinking somebody (Janus?) had knocked him from behind. I thought Chopper was trying to warn him.

2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I thought there was poison in his blood or something.

I don't think the next issue will begin with him being revived or anything like that, more like in his delirium he remembers back to the time he first met his master. The epilogue will probably start with him being revived by chopper or somebody.........

3. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    According to Battle to the End (Michael Kogge), and I quote:

Master Billaba had haunted Kanan for many years after her death. Sometimes he swore he saw her phantom at the edge of his vision. Often during meditation he still heard echoes of her voice

The comics in the "SWR Magazine" (canon, by the way, like every single published item is in this NewCanon era) has these two illustrations:

[​IMG]

the above was from a comic that took place likely after Idiot's Array (because in that comic, Ezra used his blaster combo, and Kanan was no longer surprised). And this one, which according to the writer, takes place between Fire Across the Galaxy and Siege of Lothal:

[​IMG]

Also, don't forget the following scene in FAtG which has a very similar parallel in the TCW series; I'll post them together:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was less "ashamed" than "annoyed" on why Kanan was acting so ... rebelliously.

I have heard on several podcasts how that interaction actually sealed their 'spacemarried' status, because they were so comfortable talking to each other (Hera said, "Talk to me", and Kanan talked). These were not two people in casual relationship with each other; they are deeply involved, connected, and attached.

4. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    ^^
    In that second image is Hera touching Kanan's ass:p

Gorefiend and pepoluan like this.
  5. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
    Sssh... she's not!

That was an accident!

She was trying to grab his right bun!... I mean, hand!

[face_laugh]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Come on guys, by now we should all know what goes on in The Ghost. I mean it didn't get it's name for nothing. How else do you explain the moaning?

7. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    The Ghost crew- Star War's very first rebel group/ swingers club[face_laugh]

8. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    That escalated quickly.

9. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
    OMG... [face_rofl]

CnlSandersdeKFC likes this.
  10. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Chopper was reacting to Kanan passing out off-panel. Janus is only in this issue in Kanan's imagination/flashbacks. The two Kallerans are Tapusk (thug from a scene in issue #3 who appears here with the same goons) and Gamut Key (Governor).

Glad to know several others are getting confused about what happened from the art inconsistencies I mentioned earlier and the odd presentation of the sequence of events. Since the Ghost crew has Kanan's location and is only 3 minutes away, I'm fairly confident they'll have him back on the ship at the beginning of the next issue.

La Calavera likes this.
  11. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Yeah I know Janus was only there in visions. I presumed some "mysterious figure" (ending up being him) had knocked Kanan out and Chopper tried to warn him. Good it's been cleared up

12. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Yeah first time I read through this issue I thought Tapusk was with Janus in that room however second read through cleared it up.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A weaker issue than the previous entries- but not without some good moments. Art wasn't bad but a little strange at times- Hera in particular looked more cartoonish than her actual cartoon version. She really looks like Harley Quinn in a couple panels.

And, yeah, this was clearly the final part of The Last Padawan arc given the "epilogue" title in the scroll and the fact that it is the bookend to the framing elements throughout TLP storyline. Of course, that makes it a bit of a pain to place on a timeline since you have the bulk of the story set shortly after ROTS and the framestory launching a longer storyline set in the middle of Rebels S1. Oh well, I guess we'll find out.

[​IMG]

14. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I think regarding timelines, stories that involve flashbacks should be placed at the time when the character is telling the story. So Weapon of the Jedi takes place just after episode 4 but it's actually Threepio telling the story 30 something years later therefore personally I'd place that story on the timeline between episode 6 and 7.

15. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    Definitely. I'll never understand people who place a story on a timeline based on when it's being told rather than when it actually happened. Some people are too worried about being 100 % accurate on a piece of fiction rather than realizing why people are even concerned with a timeline in the first place. Most people just want a timeline to determine reading order or better understand when major events happened in relation to other events. Either go by the overall story (like my site) or go all in and nitpick individual events within stories like the SW Timeline Gold, don't try to do both. By the way, I say "nitpick" in a positive way.

It's like with Lost Stars which begins in 11 BBY but the majority is set in 0-5 ABY. A lot of sites are placing it at 11 BBY on their timelines which I think is a huge misguidance for readers. I list it as "0-5 ABY" with a note and then physically place it in 5 ABY since the story is more about what it leads into rather than where it came from.

The Last Padawan arc I've listed as 19 BBY since that's when it begins and we don't know exactly when Empire Day is or how many days the arc lasts. The Epilogue: Haunt, however, is a separate story with it's own series of events that I'm placing at 5 or 4 BBY (we haven't pinpointed whether or not it takes place before or after S1E6 - Empire Day).

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The weakest issue in this series so far. The art was good though. Still prefer Larazs' art, but this was a good substitute. The next issues will be very interesting. We'll see how much of Shatterpoint is overwritten [face_nail_biting]

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I think that's exactly what the post you were agreeing with was advocating.

I tend to favor placing things by the frame/anchor story (or at least noting the frame story and main story separately where possible)- because otherwise if one were to read things in order you're left with entries that either spoil future events or portrays events that lack context.

For instance, knowing Ezra joins Kanan's group before seeing the Rebels premiere (if one were tackling everything fresh), Aayla's post-Darkness frame story for The Stark Hyperspace War or Darth Plagueis spoiling COD/DMSH/TPM.

Taalcon likes this.
  18. Cacau

Cacau Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2015
    Quite bad issue imo. Personally I don´t like neither the art nor the story. Hope the next one will be better again...

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I think they are just friends with benefits or freaky swingers or something

DelRiego and CnlSandersdeKFC like this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I enjoyed the art and story too. :)

SoloBrothers likes this.
  21. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Considering this issue was technically a "one shot" what exactly COULD it have done story wise.............

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This really wasn't a one-shot since it's paying off plot/framing setup from the prior 5 issues, but even if it was, some of the best issues we've had over the years were one-shots (Legacy's Into the Core, Republic's Bloodlines, etc). You can do a lot in a single issue.

Taalcon likes this.
  23. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    I know, that's why I said "Definitely." and then continued to back up SilentGuy66's statement with my own reasoning.

Also, I never suggested stories be placed in a timeline in the way that I did so that readers should read everything in chronological order. I prefer reading in order of release date so you know things won't get spoiled early which is why I also include release dates on my timeline in addition to BBY/ABY year and other sorting options.

24. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    On a random note, anyone else read Caleb Dume as having a core accent?

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think that's just an Imperial and Stewjonian thing, since most other human Jedi lacked core accents in TCW at least.