main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Kanan (Marvel) #1: The Last Padawan, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Who knows anymore?

2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Considering the friendships the clones developed with the Jedi and the character development a lot of them underwent, I would say no. A chip implanted in their brain to override their rational thoughts, behavior, and personality makes a lot more sense.

pepoluan and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Unless as some say Cody just thought he was following orders since Cody never really had a relationship with Kenobi outside of being his General.

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Rational thoughts, behavior, and personality? It was a legitimate order buried within a total of 150 Contingency Orders and carried out by soldiers conditioned to follow orders, which also included several orders for dealing with an unfit Supreme Commander (Supreme Chancellor), not a preset command triggered on droids. One of the Contingency Orders for dealing with an unfit Supreme Chancellor also included the option for lethal force. Otherwise, why wouldn't Ion Team follow Order 66 on Murkhana in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, believing it to be a false enemy signal? Which is more believable, four chips malfunctioning all at once on a clone commando team with a friendship with their Generals, or soldiers simply choosing to not follow an order due to friendship(s) with the target and suspicion over the legitimacy of the order?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Short answer? Ion Team isn't canon anymore.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That said, some events from Dark Lord were referenced in Tarkin. I think it even mentions that one of Vader's first missions after getting the suit, was to Murkhana.

Maybe Team Ion will be recanonized? They didn't receive orders direct from Sidious, but instead had them from their superior officer, Salvo.

Jedi Knight Fett and spicer like this.
  7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Ion Team was canon before TCW came along with this chips business. Oh wait, that means diddly squat because Lucas is the infallible Star Wars prophet who can't possibly be wrong.

Vialco likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's interesting to re-look at the ROTS novel's take on it:

The RoTS novel's version of the Order 66 scene, for Cody:

Cody responded as he had been trained since before he'd even awakened in his creche-school. "It will be done, my lord."

Followed by:

Cody was a clone. He would execute the order faithfully, without hesitation or regret. But he was also human enough to mutter glumly, "Would it have been too much to ask for the order to have come through before I gave him back the bloody lightsaber?"

Also:

The Clone Wars were the perfect Jedi trap.
    By fighting at all, the Jedi lost.
    With the Jedi Order overextended, spread thin across the galaxy, each Jedi is alone, surrounded only by whatever clone troops he, she, or it commands. War itself pours darkness into the Force, deepening the cloud that limits Jedi perception. And the clones have no malice, no hatred, not the slightest ill intent that might give warning. They are only following orders.
    In this case, Order Sixty-Six.
    Hold-out blasters appear in clone hands. ARC-170s drop back onto the tails of Jedi starfighters. AT-STs swivel their guns. Turrets on hovertanks swung silently.
    Clones open fire, and Jedi die.
    All across the galaxy. All at once.
    Jedi die.

This
    makes me wonder - would there have been tests- messages sent to the embryonic clones in their tubes - and the clones immediately responding - and the Kaminoans saying "Good - it works."

9. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    That's why the novelizations are not canon.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    How long do you guys think this comic will last.

11. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
    Let's see.

There will be stories from Del Rey filling the gap between Tarkin and A New Dawn. So, I don't think the comics will go beyond Tarkin, because that 'timeline zone' is Del Rey's instead of Marvel's.

So, it's a 5 year gap between Kanan #1 to Tarkin = 60 months.

Kanan #1 to #5 is about 8 months. 60/8 = 7.5, round up to 8.

So, my guess is "Kanan: The Last Padawan" ends at no later than #40.

Ballpark figure, I know.

12. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Shouldn't there be a thread for #2 now?

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree are we going to do a number 2 thread.

14. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This is actually a really good explanation, right here.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I was interested in this content, but never got around to picking it up, so I watched / listened to it instead on youtube as an audiobook. Its a new way to experience a comic, that's for sure. I'm not someone who has ever listened to a traditional audiobook, but this is a fun way to ascertain whether a comic is worth tracking down - this issue certainly is. I liked the story and master / padawan dynamic.

17. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
    TBH, I never quite imagine how a comic can be suitable for audio style, what with the art, the visual symbolism, etc., but I'm open for trying.

Is there a good audio comic I can try?

18. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    This is the first issue from the Kanan series, I quite enjoyed it:

pepoluan likes this.
  19. pepoluan

Feb 4, 2015
    Aah, so they used the panels from the comics to illustrate visually...

Thanks! I'll try it out later tonight.

Still reeling from the sudden passing away of my mom last weekend, I need stuff to distract me from my loss.

20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Dude. My condolences. :( I hope that comics like this one are providing you some sort of diversion from that, even if it's only for a little bit.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    :( I'm sorry bro! Definitely take some time to enjoy a good book or comic.

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I miss the Lucas days.