main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Kanan (Marvel) #4: The Last Padawan (Part 4 of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jun 28, 2015.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  2. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    I seem to recall someone else who set out to "right errors" and make things "the way they should have been" and what was the result? 1997 Special Editions, Han Shot first, CGI Jabba, I'm starting to feel sick.

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Ah, come on. Don't be a basher, we have enough of them around here. Rejoice instead that we can have properly-limbed Ortolans!

4. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    I'm not a basher, just making a passing comment in reply to what was already mentioned. I don't see how they are now properly limbed when McQuarrie's art clearly shows arms and Rebels has been heavily using McQuarrie's stuff to incorporate awesome designs that were abandoned.

spicer likes this.
  5. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Many of McQuarrie's paintings for ROTJ, including the two I know of that feature Max, were actually painted after the film was finished (which is why his art shows the more human-like Max we see in the movie). Anyway I'm sure I've dragged the Great Ortolan Tangent out well beyond its expiration date, but just to wrap it up I'd strongly recommend checking out the link JoinTheSchwartz posted above for the definitive word on the subject.

6. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Still waiting for the digital edition of Issue #4, but I kinda like what I'm hearing about the Ortolan design update. It keeps up the idea of Jabba's Palace being inhabited by some of the weirder (and freakier) sentient species of the Star Wars universe (i.e. not always on the perfectly humanoid spectrum).

Now I'd like to see them do the same with the Skakoans and clarify if they are bipedal or not.

7. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    This?

8. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    I have looked at it. All 3 or so times it's been posted. Intentions mean nothing, it's what's on the screen that counts which as you've admitted is more human-like. If concept designs and ideas mattered we'd have a green alien Han Solo.

9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    [face_thinking]

Back to the "issue" at hand (see what I did there...?), anyone else catch the subtle nod to A New Dawn, and Caleb/Kanan's tendency to "fall in love" with starships? His reaction to seeing Kleeve's little ship is exactly the same as his reaction in AND when he first sees the Ghost. Nice bit of characterization.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just read this one. I enjoyed it, seeing Caleb on the run and taking care of himself, I can easily see the progression from this Caleb to AND's Kanan.

As far as Grey and Styles--I'm of the mentality that yes, some clones might just not be nice people. I actually would prefer that to a chip deactivation and "ZOMG WHAT HAVE WE DONE???"

11. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    If you're going to grab fragments of my sentences to quote, grab everything relevant. Such as "...I know concept art isn't final but if that's your argument then I'll also point you to Ralph McQuarrie's art...". Thank you.

12. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    But McQuarrie's art wasn't concept art at all, he painted them after the movie was...sigh. Why bother. [face_dunno]

You know what? I'm just going to go ahead and say Max has arms, but no legs. Because we never see his legs on screen. Works for me.

Now for goodness' sake, let's just let it go.

13. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    I don't see why you have to be a condescending jerk about it, if you don't want to participate in the conversation that's related to the thread then don't reply.

14. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    You do realize you're calling me names because we disagree about how many limbs Ortolans should have, right? Just pointing that out.
    I've tried three times now to steer the conversation away from this absurd tangent. I deeply regret starting it, in fact. And for the sake of whatever conversation's left to be had, I won't reply about this further.

15. thatotherjedi

thatotherjedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    [face_laugh]

Do you think it is possible that Max Rebo sold his soul to the devil like Robert Johnson for another set of appendages (arms or legs) so that he could rock out on that keyboard?

16. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    No it's comments like these and taking my quotes out of context that earn you those names:
    Anyway on to something worth replying to:
    I hope the series mostly stays on that progression to AND Kanan and leaves anything of his time post-AND but pre-Rebels to another series or even something non-comics.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As for Grey and Styles, I would kind of like it that the biochip flipped their switches but it turns out they realllllly like hunting down Caleb because they're kinda jerks. Probably even got uppity superiors wondering why they're wasting time hunting down one Padawan.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I love that idea! Max Rebo as the Robert Johnson of the GFFA. This needs to be canon.

Max: "I want to be the best red ball jett organ player there's ever been!"
    Devil: "I can make that happen, you know. For a price."
    Max: "Anything, Devil! I'll pay any price!"
    * Devil laughs evilly, disappears in a puff of smoke*
    *Max's legs turn into arms*
    Max: "...oops."

19. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I'm not sure if this is the Kanan thread after reading most of these comments hahaha.... Anyways. This was another good solid issue and can't wait for more. This has been by far the most rewarding series out of the new canon comics. I'm loving the dynamics between Caleb and Kasmirs is entertaining and fun. Kashmir is another likeable so-called bad guy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    TheyMightBeGeeks likes this.