main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Kanan (watch out for puns)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    He was the one who fired the shot that fried Chopper at the end. But eh, different strokes, I thought he accounted well for himself in Gathering Forces.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We should see Kanan do this

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You're right, I kinda forgot about frying Chopper. Haven't seen Gathering Forces yet.

4. Ismeria

Ismeria Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2014
    Hello everyone.

I've been enjoying Rebels so far, particularly the ever developing dynamic between Ezra and Kanan. Though (and this was inspired a little from watching the previews on Path of the Jedi since that episode seems to focus on it a little) one thing about Kanan I'm interested by is his role as a teacher and how that's going to go down in the show. I've been hearing different views on Kanan as a teacher (mostly... not so flattering XP), but that was awhile ago and I'm curious how fans think the guy is/has been developing as a teacher so far? Personally, I think he's improved a lot in some areas. I think he's gotten a lot more attentive and protective over Ezra since the beginning with paying attention to what Ezra responds best to when it comes to learning: survival, as well as paying mind to assuring Ezra he's there for him (least he's not letting hazards like cans getting chucked at Ezra till he falls to his doom anymore). I thought he shined particularly a little for me in Gathering Forces with how he reacted to Ezra's brush with the dark side. He was honest about why what Ezra did was wrong, but he was gentle about explaining it and didn't make Ezra feel worse about his ignorance by putting more of the blame on himself for not teaching Ezra better (which I thought was some good growth from ROTOM).

The main con (besides the whole lack of training past padawan bit) right now that comes to mind is that he still seems to be lying to Ezra about his Master status for some reason from what I saw of the Path of Jedi clip. I'm honestly a little confused about that. You'd think things would be easier on the both of them if he would just tell Ezra he doesn't always know what he's doing since he was so young when his Jedi training was cut short (I don't know, maybe Path of the Jedi goes over this)? Idk, I think Freddie (Kanan's voice) said something about it stoking a part of his ego or something, maybe it makes him feel more like a Jedi or he thinks it's what Ezra needs?

Either way, that's my opinion so far. He's not perfect, but I think he's growing into a good teacher so far, even though I fully expect some setbacks/hiccups here and there since he's doing what he can with all the lack of experience and dealing with his own demons along the way. Above all, I'm curious to see how being Ezra's Master will impact his destiny as a Jedi and anyone's thoughts on that aspect of his character?

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Kanan was great in the newest episode.

6. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    No matter what Kanan does or tries to do he is still an inexperienced Jedi trying to teach another. It would be similar to a fourteen or fifteen year old girl trying to raise a baby. It's hard to teach someone to grow up when you are still learning how to grow up yourself.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Still, I feel like Kanan is more awkward than he needs to be in trying to train Ezra. He could be like "okay I'm not that great at this myself, but I'll try to teach you what I know" but instead he just goes on about "No, no, no! You lack discipline and focus!" without really explaining how to attain that discipline and focus...and of course Ezra gets all upset at this.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Kanan will become a Master, judging from the remarks of Yoda and himself. I wonder if he'll meet Luke one day.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I think Kanan should die at the end of Season 1. Then he can return as a ghost because he somehow accidentally discovered how to do it and continue to teach Ezra and hang out with the Ghost crew as normal, except he's already dead. Then later in the show he can help Qui Gon teach Obi Wan and Yoda how to turn into ghosts.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I protest only because his ass won't look as good if he's a ghost.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  11. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    Soon to be released in the new Dave Filoni Star Wars Saga Box Set

12. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    FPJ has talked season 2. I'd rather him die at the end of season 2 and change the game in S3. Especially since S1 isn't a full season

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, he needs at least one more season.

14. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Now that Kanan has been captured by the Empire and a signal has been sent out across the Lothal system I'm thinking this is going to lead to the first appearance of groups that will ally with the Ghost crew as part of the larger Rebel Alliance to help rescue him. It might also finally give reason for the Ghost crew to go somewhere else in the galaxy other than Lothal and vary the worlds they visit.

15. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree that he should die in Season 2, but I can't picture how. After avoiding the Inquisitor so many times, it would be kind of anti-climatic and Vader would be too much. Heck Tarkin is too much, this must be the yearly vacation he takes between obliterating planets.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What ass? He has a shameful lack of one.

17. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I wouldn't mind seeing Kanan tortured by the Empire for his role in being an insurgent.

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I reckon he'll die half way through season 2.

19. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm confused about Kanan's rank in the team I've always thought he's the leader after all isn't that how he was described when the characters was first revealed yet I keep hearing people say that Hera's the leader and it's her crew..... which is the truth?[face_dunno]

20. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I look at it like this, Hera is the leader of the group and picks what missions the team does. Kanan is more of the ground commander for when the mission is going on. For instance, when they went to raid the radio tower Kanan was making the tactical decisions on the ground. So Hera is still the leader, but may not be the one giving orders on the ground.

21. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I don't know why but I find the Kanan/Hera leadership dynamic hard to get my head around. Why can't it be like Marvel's AOS it's clear who leads that group.

22. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015

Hera is the General, Kanan is the Captain. In battle he knows better, and thus they listen to him. Outside of battle Hera get's to call the shots and incidentally pick the battles she wants to fight.

Iron_lord and jabberwalkie like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I remember we were kind of debating about Kanan's eye color, green versus blue, but the concept art from Rebel Resolve explicitely lists them as green.
    [​IMG]
    Also lol I guess Kanan never bothered with taking a driver's test.

Revanfan1 and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    My guess is that Kanan is the OFFICIAL "leader." Hera even said in Idiot's Array that he didn't need to consult with her before taking the Lando job/settling on a price (which you'd think that he would if she was in charge). However, Hera seems to be the member of the crew who's the most "stable" and pragmatic, and she's privy to secrets that the rest of them aren't. So they often end up following her lead on things.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They arent military based , they're more honor system and a loose fit unit acting out more like a family than a crack commando unit of an organization. Basically like the Falcon was in the OT, lots of arguing and no real leader, just Han often throwing out its his ship and attempting to take control at times. The Ghost being Hera's ship and Hera appears to be the one in direct contact with Fulcrum who gets them their most work, she's basically a ships' captain and a kinda mother figure for the crew are largely undisciplined militarily as Zeb, Chopper and Ezra are messes and Kanan isnt that far behind.