main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Kanan (watch out for puns)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh well, you can rest easy that Vader would give them a very quick death.

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Indeed, on the training part I just feel uneasy the show has two Force wielding characters as the leads when I want to see that sparsely. I liked when Kanan was hiding that he was a Jedi to others in A New Dawn. Who knows how long Rebels will last so we don't have to worry about it now, but it would be great if Vader gets onto the show due to the Inquisitor's failure to defeat Kanan. With Vader being the one to end their life.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. The OT pretty much state only a full trained Knight can defeat Vader and the Emperor. Kanan should be no match for Vader.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    More like only Luke can defeat Vader and the Emperor, but yeah.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think we should remember, Vader couldve easily killed Luke in ESb at any moment, but was toying and goading him, cause he wanted him alive. The carbonate trap failed as Luke force jumped outve the pit which for whatever reason Vader did not anticipate from this force user and apparently was already aware he was his son - so Vader was forced into a prolonged duel but never wanted to kill and was holding back while Luke was unleashing whatever he had at him cause this was the man that tried to kill his friends and Kenobi had brain washed into believing he killed his father. ROTJ is a bit reversed, Luke was holding back while Vader was semi-holding back. Once Luke snapped when Vader ratted out about his sister to the Emperor and this seemed also to confirm Vader was no longer fooling around - Luke just tapped into his anger and Vader was no match for such a young warrior. Vader was on the floor basically begging for his life with his arm up,he was at Luke's mercy. The Emperor wanted Luke to kill Vader, Luke realized what he was becoming, and I guess also saw the damage he inflicted on his father could yet still be repaired threw away his lightsaber.

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't think Vader could draw on his full dark side strength in his second duel against Luke. His doubts weakened his connection to the force and thus his prowess with it.

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Here's an obvious question, why do Kanan and Ezra have to be dead by the time of the OT? There are any number of ways to explain their absence from the films BESIDES just killing them off. It's sort of like people saying that Ahsoka HAD to die because she wasn't in ROTS, when you could easily come up with alternative explanation for that (which they ultimately did).

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some of us are tired of "alternate explanations" and just want the OT left alone.

It's as I already posted...I'm over the addition of "but not really" onto the ends of movie lines.

"When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be."...but not really.

I've found every alternate explanation to be lame and flimsy.

"Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"
    "Just a little bit."...but not really.

Something something the Force something something.

No thanks.

I'll turn the question around: other than "people would be sad", which I find a lame reason, what reason is there for Kanan and Ezra to not be killed off? What good storytelling purpose would it serve?

Darth_Pevra and TrandoJedi like this.
  9. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    This. I'd be happy if they don't retcon or change anything.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    What reason is there not to kill them off, several actually:

-There's more stuff that you could potentially do with them in the future.
    -There are many other ways to write them out of the OT.
    -Killing them off simply because of a couple of lines of dialogue in movies that came out over 30 years ago strikes me as a waste, especially when you could easily explain those lines in other ways.
    -What good storytelling purpose does it serve TO kill them off. Absolutely NONE!

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Consistency is EXTREMELY important to good storytelling, and without those movies from 30 years ago, none of us would be posting here or watching Rebels. Those movies are pretty damn important.

Darth_Pevra and TrandoJedi like this.
  12. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Lucasfilm just pretty much wiped out over 30 years of Expanded Universe material so that they could create one well connected continuity without glaring errors or contradictions. Having two other Jedi being around...I don't think they should be around by the time of Luke's journey.

13. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Kanan and Ezra can just be in another galaxy, far far away....

Anyway, they don't even have to show themselves. They could be off doing other things that has nothing to do with the Rebel Allience.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan does say "Now the Jedi are all but extinct" in ANH but make what you will with that though.

15. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Well, it's not like he's been looking for Jedi. Force Sensatives still get born and I wouldn't think former Jedi would want to practice their powers in the Empire.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What other storytelling purpose could Kanan and Ezra serve? I don't want an OT reboot with them in it, and it would make little to no sense for them to hide out for decades and show up in the ST.

FWIW, I didn't think it worked at all for Ahsoka to remain alive. Too many people are still asking where she is. And the writers knew TCW was being cancelled when that arc was written.

17. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    In the Dark Times I think any Jedi not in hiding is destined for doom. Kanan brandishing his lightsaber has made him and any related to him as a target for the Empire to eradicate. There were other Force-sensitive characters in the Dark Times before, i'm referencing the Legends EU here but two of my favorite characters made it through the Dark Times. Quinlan Vos survived by what I assume would be raising a family and no longer being a Jedi (I don't think any stories ever went farther than that for him and would 20 years older by the time of ANH anyways) and Kyle Katarn didn't even realize his potential in the Force until much later. Kanan isn't like Vos or Katarn in that he is no longer hiding, he is revealed for all to see.

The only way I could see Kanan surviving is to give up his cause and go back into hiding, if the Empire doesn't get to him first.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    That arc was written and recorded like a year before TCW was cancelled.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I won't argue that point because I'm not absolutely sure.

But all the same, was that not intended to be Ahsoka's exit? And I do recall there being changes made to that arc at the last minute.

Her being alive during ROTS makes no sense in the context of the overall story.

Vader'sGoodHand likes this.
  20. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014

One of the times I agree with you! YAY! But her walking away like that left a huge hole. That and Filoni released those sketches of her and Bo Katan.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the "leaving a huge hole" might have been intentional.

But who knows.

Either way, keeping her alive made about as much sense as keeping Maul alive. "Because her fans wanted it to happen" was the only real reason. There was no reason in the context of the overall story of the saga.

I am very much a Kanan fan and I don't want that reason used to keep him alive at the end of Rebels.

Vader'sGoodHand likes this.
  22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    There are Ahsoka fans?

[​IMG]

Dave Filoni is her only 'fan'

23. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014

We just like to hide in the shadows. :p

Vader'sGoodHand and Iron_lord like this.
  24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
  25. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry. I can't help it.

Iron_lord likes this.