main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kanjiklub Gang

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by QuiWanKenJin, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Regarding the Pirate groups that caught up with Han Solo and company, aboard the Eravana. The Guavian Death Gang, seemed strange to me, very uncharacteristic of Pirates in the Star Wars Universe, they looked very militaristic, with their matching red uniforms and helmets. What species are they? They looked like they escaped from some other Sci-Fi universe. The Kanjiklub Gang is even more of an enigma. Out of universe, I believe this is the result of the SJWs infiltrating the last Star Wars Celebration and asking JJ Abrams, stupid questions, such as: "we noticed there is black man who is a lead in the film, can you also include some Asians as well?" JJ, wasn't sure how to answer such a strange question. This is Star Wars! There is no Earth! Earth politics don't exist there! Up to now, I thought there was no segregation of Human races in the GFFA, they seemed to have all been regarded as one species: Human, who's home planet is Coruscant. Now we have a group of all Asian Pirates, and further confusing the matter, they don't speak basic, but some other language. What language was that? It doesn't sound like Huttesse. What planet are they from? They look like monguls, which is out of universe. Sure, they would have fit fine in StarGate SG-1, Earth cultures all exist in that universe.

No confusion would have occurred, if they just put a couple of Asian guys with a couple of alien species in their group, but no. So, apparently there is separate cultures of human races in the GFFA. I knew that was the case with other alien species, but I thought all humans races were pretty much all united as the same culture. So, I guess just like there are Rutian Twileks (blue) and Lethan Twileks (Red). Humans also have this in the GFFA, so what are the in-universe names of the different human races?

Please, understand I am not racist. I loved the Mace Windus, the Lando Calrissians, the Captain Panakas, the Captain Typhos and Finn. I just didn't think human races, had separate cultures in the Star Wars universe, till now. Unless, there's something I'm missing, like maybe the Kanjiklub Gang were all family and they were raised by some alien group that didn't know basic, on some planet far from other human cultures? Somebody help me out, here. I am trying to get my head around this. Did Coruscant or some other planet in the GFFA have separate human countries/nations?

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
  3. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    They made me think of Red Dwarf, a little.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  4. CmdrWedge

CmdrWedge Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    All I know is that the two up front starred in the Indonesian movie The Raid and its sequel.

5. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm sensing a thread-lock in 3, 2, 1....

6. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    They reminded me of the matrix or something

7. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    You're overthinking it. If there is one thing I learned from TFA: JJ did NOT overthink this film. I can almost guarantee he has never considered it.

Doesn't the visual dictionary mention Kanjiklub and Tasu Leech? I seem to remember him speaking his native language because he considers Basic "weak"?

8. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    Best not to think about this stuff too hard.

Also if you have to say "I am no racist but" its also best to just dont say anything.

9. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    Good advice

Poor Greedo, episodenone and medar like this.
  10. jetsdude8

jetsdude8 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    They gave me a 100% Trek vibe, and should have been a deleted scene. But guess they quickly came up with an excuse to have Han help Rey.

I agree with what you're saying in the sense that one of the beauties of Star Wars is you don't think about race. You have aliens with blacks and Asians and whites, etc. etc. and you don't think twice about it. So a scene with an entirely Asian gang just seemed to stand out.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  11. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005
    Jetsdude8, you got me. That's exactly what I'm saying.

Zev, did the visual dictionary say what language that is or what planet Tasu Leech is from?

12. Oberron

Oberron Jedi Padawan

Sep 6, 2013
    I wonder if we'd be seeing the same complaints if the gang had been entirely made up of white people.

13. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005
    I did not say, "but". You did.

14. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005
    If they were only white people, then it would almost feel like their loyalties might be with the Empire, er....First Order. Atleast, that is way GL envisioned the Empire, that it was, anti-alien, racist and sexist.

15. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Honestly, it did strike me as a little strange. Not the Asian pirate gang, but that whole sequence. It actually felt a bit more like Firefly than Star Wars to me. I think it would have been better if one of the gangs was non-human. Heck, why not put Hondo in there? Sure, he'd be old but it could have been a cool little cameo.

16. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That whole scene showed Han in the smuggler role for which he was a legend. It basically illustrated the conversation with Greedo, with creatures getting him out of a jam instead of blasters.

17. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Making Star Wars has a great article in terms of why that freighter scene was fitting in establishing Han Solo's persona in TFA:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/f...-important-after-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Oh, and there's an Asian gang in TFA because JJ Abrams is a huge fan of The Raid (an Indonesian flick) and wanted to cast the main actors of that film in Ep VII...much as how JJ cast John Boyega because he's a huge fan of his movie Attack the Block. And how JJ cast his buddies Simon Pegg and Greg Grunberg in TFA--because he can.

18. TROR

TROR Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I'm not racist, but I wish these guys had a bigger part in the movie.

19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's kind of American-centric to view the Kanjiklub as a racial stand-out. If you want to bring up races, from what I've seen, humans in the Star Wars galaxy evolve on their planets in the same ways they evolved on Earth. The environment conditioned them. It is quite likely that the Kanjiklub guys were all from the same part of a particular planet.
    Han Solo said "Chewie, we're home" when they boarded the Millennium Falcon. He also said he "use to be" Han Solo. All that can be interpreted as him returning to the familiarity of Star Wars from the space fantasy fringes where he was doing things like flying a freighter like that and dealing with those groups of guys.

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'd like to see the Kanjiklub gang get their own anthology film frankly. One thing I always wondered was why Lucas never cast Toshiro Mifune or some of the Shaw Brothers actors as Jedi or Sith especially since Asian (Japanese mostly) cinema is such a direct influence on Star Wars.

Darkspellmaster and Shaak Ti like this.
  21. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Didn't he originally want Mifune as Obi-Wan?

22. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Yes George Lucas and Alec Guinness both stated that. Guinness said that in a interview when Lucas wanted him to have a samurai movement when he walked around and when he was fighting with the lightsaber.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rathar's got them.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I just came here to say that I thought these dudes would have fit perfectly in Indiana Jones. In fact, that scene felt more Indy than Star Wars to me.

25. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    ....and British.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.