main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Kanto wait to Go catch 'em all: Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Mar 4, 2007.

1. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

They are good for low level pokemon

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I got Platinum in the mail Friday from BestBuy.com and I could NOT get a female Turtwig when it was time to choose the Pokemon. After starting over a few times, I had to settle for the male one. Then I'll eventually breed this one and I can send a turtwig to my Diamond or Pearl cartridge (Yes, I now own all three).

3. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Ah! Someone who seems to know what they're talking about...

I recently started from scratch in an effort (no pun intended) to train up a team getting the best EV increases I can. I made the mistake of simply using XP share against high level opponents to quickly raise new pokemon up.

The problem is, while I know what they are, and that they seem to come from grinding up a level very slowly against specific opponents, that's where my knowledge ends.

Can you fill me in?

4. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    @Jedi Liz
    First of all starter pokemon have a high male to female ratio to make it less easy to breed, once you get ditto you can continuously breed the pokémon to get a female starter.

I don't think levelling speed matters so much, when you deposit a pokémon in the box it recalculates the stats from the EVs, this is always what I've thought so someone correct me if I'm wrong, that applies to anything I say actually.

Stats (HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special attack and Special Defense) are calculated from Base Stats, IVs, EVs, Natures and levels.

Base Stats depend on the specie of pokémon it is. For example chansey has a high HP base stat whereas Mewtwo has a high special attack stat, abra has a low defense whereas machop may have a low special defense, base stats are invidual to each evolution, and evolution usually raises the base stats of the pokemon, legendary pokémon tend to have higher average base stats.

Natures will raise one stat while lowing another stat, for example an adamant nature will lower special attack and raise attack, and a mild nature will do the opposite. There are some natures like hardy nature which have no effect on stats.

Increasing your level will increase your stats based on the other values, this what makes higher level pokemon stronger, levelling up will not lower your stats, with the exception of some evolutions.

IVs (invidual values) are characteristics found in a single pokemon characterising it from the other members, this is why you is you caught two of the pokémon at the same level they will have different stats.

EVs (effort values) are values that increase as the pokémon battles(or gains EXP via EXP share), each pokémon starts with 0 EVs when caught/ hatched. It depends on which pokémon are fought in order to decide what EVs you get, there are EVs in each of the stats (HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special attack and Special Defense) and different species will yield their own combination of values when defeated.

e.g. when foe meganium is defeated each pokémon that faced it would gain 2 special defense and 1 defense EVs.

e.g. when foe vileplume is defeated each pokémon that faced it would gain 3 special attack EVs.

e.g. when foe victreebel is defeated each pokémon that faced it would gain 3 attack EVs

e.g. when foe raichu is defeated each pokémon that faced it would gain 3 speed EVs.

(any FireRed/LeafGreen players see any opportuniies here :) )

Theres some extra information on EVs, vitamins raise EV until they reach 100 or over, and certain berries lower them (they will say lowers the specific EV). Holding an item like Macho brace, Power Weight or having Pokérus will double EV growth. The total amount of EVs that any one pokémon can gain is 510, after that it will stop gaining EVs, each stat can reach a maximum of 255, so for each pokémon you can max out 2 stats. Actually due to the way the stats are calculated from EVs its best to get 252 in one stat 252 in another and 4 in something less important, the other 2 EVs don't matter. Oh and a level 100 pokémon cannot gain EVs.

Now my most successful EV attempt is my alakazam. It was hatched with a mild nature given 10 calciums 10 carbos then trained against 51 raichus and 51 vileplumes with exp share.

(If you meant to train in Red/green/blue/yellow/gold/silver/crystal theres no limit to how many EVs each pokemon can have and lvl 100 pokemon can gain EVs as well, the game does prevent stats from reaching great heights somehow)

5. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Where do you find Rotum in Platinum. I always remember that in D/P he was in the TV, but I can't find him.

6. Commander_Deviss

Commander_Deviss Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2007
    ILuvJarJar are you going at night?

I haven't gotten to Eterna yet, just got Plat, I like what they did with Giratina (one of my friends was gloating)

Don't disturb the witch
    Ash disturbed the witch

7. Legend_of_Leroy

May 16, 2008
    Its finally happened, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver have been announced.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/game/g090508_01.html

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have Pearl and I still haven't completed it yet. I am, however, tempted by Platinum, which comes with a free statue when it's preordered and bought. Is it worth getting Platinum as I have Pearl?

9. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I have Diamond AND Pearl and I still bought Platinum.

1) I wanted it

2) There's the new Battle Frontier (like in Emerald GBA game)

3) I wanted to start with Turtwig and since I didn't want to reset Diamond or Pearl (because I had transferred many Pokes from FR/LG/Emer/Saph

10. Commander_Deviss

Aug 2, 2007
    They are really running out of ideas, aren't they.
    Although you can't really complain about Gold and Silver returning.

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I want it but I don't really have the money to get it.

12. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    My fiancé bought me Platinum as a last birthday present. However, I've been playing Pearl more right now. I'm a completionist. So, I also recently bought Ruby. I still need to get Emerald and FireRed, to have all of them for the GBA/DS. And knowing me, when HeartGold and SoulSilver come out over here, I will get both of them. My fiancé plays Pokémon, too. I'm seriouly thinking about getting another DS (Only the DS Lite because I don't want the DSi) just so he could play while I'm playing.

13. Commander_Deviss

Aug 2, 2007
    I hate that they took the GBA slot out, I'm debating whether to get it or not, but I don't want to lose my lite in the process.

DSi does seem pretty cool though

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Why not pick up a GBA? You should be able to get one cheaply enough.

15. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    It seems there is more Pokemon goodies coming for the Japanese later this year, as they are going to celebrate Gold and Silver with DS updates.

http://www.gamepro.com.au/index.php?id=754575776&eid=-160 and here for more details.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Heartgold.

I loved Gold and Silver, i owned Gold and look forward to getting my hands on HeartGold now.

Suicune FTW!

16. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I got Platinum a few weeks back and I'm loving it! It's brought back my Pokemon obsession from wayback.

FC: 2750 8294 7087

17. Jackrack

Jackrack Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2008
    how do you get a cyndiquil in ruby hes the only one i need besides feebas and volbeat

18. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I thought cyndaquil was a starter from a different region and the only way to get one (I THINK) is to complete the National Pokedex in either R/S/E or FR/LG, but I'm not sure. I haven't been playing Pokemon that long (only probably 4 years).

19. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
  20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Two new pokemon games, Soul Silver and Heart Gold. Who else is excited about these and who's going to get which?

21. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Going Heart Gold with fire starter.

Anyone interested in setting up some trades for starters? I'm going to reload until I can start with a female Cyndaquil so I've got the ability to breed them.

22. Legend_of_Leroy

May 16, 2008
    ^its probably not that necessary, given you'd get to ask for them over the wi-fi anyway, once you've seen the right pokemon. Might be more worth trading for seeing groundon/kyogre so that the wi-fi can be used to find one (I got an event Regigigas that way once), but since i'm going for HeartGold as well you would need someone else.

I have planned to use Chikorita, not sure what else will be added to my party though.

23. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    You mean that once I've seen them, I can trade for them over wifi? Wouldn't it be easier/quicker to just agree to a trade with people I know? Not very familiar with how the wifi works. Didn't do much of anything with it in Diamond.

24. Legend_of_Leroy

May 16, 2008
    It could be quicker if your friends are ready at the right time, but wi-fi gives you the chance of getting other language pokemon which speeds up growth (in addition to the usual traded pokemon boost) and gives you a higher chance of getting shinies when breeding them plus its quite effective for getting a wide variety of Id numbers for the lottery.

Also most people you know won't do stupid one sided deals which can get to work in your favour over wi-fi, the internet is large enough such that even some of the most ridiculous offers are met if you wait long enough.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Wait, what? Has pokemon become even more complicated that Diamond/Pearl? :eek:

I thought it was bad enough that I had to make pokemon happy to level them up, now you have to use wi-fi to find them? :(

Still, I know I'll be getting Soul Silver. I prefer the pokemon on the box art the most. Incidentally, this is the reason I went with Red in the beginning and Pearl. [face_blush]