main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Kanto wait to Go catch 'em all: Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Mar 4, 2007.

1. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    Instead of missingno, I got a level 100 Starmie and kicked butt for the rest of game (even crushing Mewtwo in one shot with watergun!!!)

2. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm fairly new to Pokemon, even though it's been out since back in the day, but I just reserved my copy of Pearl and my brother's getting Diamond. Got the free styluses and I'll be getting battle revolution when it comes out. I did play Pokemon Snap though for N64.

3. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    That's pretty much what everyone wants. It's established that the snagging system was a failure. Not a bad decision but not the true 3D experience we want.
    I'd love the next Wii game to use all (except maybe the new one) worlds for a true pokemon experience in 3D.
    Travelling through Kanto, Johto and Hoenn would rock. Even those Orange Islands from the tv series would be a nice distraction too.

4. Spartan786

Spartan786 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, I can't wait till Diamond and Pearl. After the Anime died out (Thanks May and Max, you too are horrible) I had to get aNOTHER GAME. Nintendo is also making a new game due this Fall. I'm not sure what it is (Probably Puzzle, or a remake of G/C/S) but it looks good on my Holiday list.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  6. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    Yeah, so here are the starting Pokemon for Diamond and Pearl.

Turtwig:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Turtwig.png]

Evolves to Grotle:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/388.png]

Evolves to Torterra:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/05/Torterra.png]

Chimchar:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Chimchar.png]

Evolves to Monferno:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/391.png]

Evolves to Infernape:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Infernape.png]

Piplup:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Piplup.png]

Evolves to Prinlup:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/Prinplup.png]

Evolves to Empoleon:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Empoleon.png]

Additional facts:

At level 18, Turtwig evolves into Grotle, which evolves into Torterra at Level 32.

Chimchar evolves into Monferno at level 14, which evolves into Infernape at level 36.

Piplup evolves into Prinplup at level 16, which evolves into Empoleon at level 36.

I normally play through the game, at least, once with each starter, but I don't like Chimchar, so I may abandon that tradition of playing these games. I do like Turtwig and Piplup, though.

I'll probably start with Turtwig, because Torterra looks friggin' awesome.
    Who will you start with?

7. Spartan786

Spartan786 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2007
    the penguin, he's too pimp to NOT pick.

8. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    They are all cool starters this time, so I don't know. Maybe Turtwig, because I like turtles.

Diamond and Pearl are going to be awesome. I haven't played since the red/blue days, but I'm super excited about the online play. Does anyone know if you can have more than one save file?

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm going to go with Turtwig, and then I'll play through again with Chimchar.

10. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I really don't like what they've done to the fire type. Blaziken was ruined by being part fighting before and the same thing is happening again.
    Still the water one is easily my fave and the steel part will be interesting. I thought it'd be an ice type for a while but the steel will help it against some types.

11. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Yeah, word on the street is that Empoleon gaining steel type is massively helpful. Steel gets reduced damage against almost every type. That might make Empoleon the best water type in the game.

12. Darph_Nader

Darph_Nader Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    This may seem a break from the topic that's been going, but since this is a Pokémon thread...

I've been playing Pokémon Crystal for years now, and never had a problem, but I stopped playing it a while back. When I picked it up again, my game was gone, with only "New Game" and "Options" on the main menu. I tried starting a new game, and saved it, but when I restarted the Game Boy, the game wasn't there. After a whole bunch of tries, I finally got the game to register the save, but it said that the game was corrupted. I let the game sit off for a few minutes, and when I came back, the game was gone, with only the aforementioned two options. I did it again, and the game saved, and actually let the game turn on. BUT, after restarting the game again, the game was corrupted and wouldn't start. I left it off for a little bit once again, and after turning it back on, the save game was gone.

It seems like every time I come to the video game forum I have some obscure game problem, but oh well. Any advice, even if it's just that I should buy a new cartridge, would be appreciated. :)

And while I'm at it, I discovered a way to catch Mew (and this one actually works). I found these instructions on Cheatingdome.com of all places, but it worked for me.

I've found it! Nintendo said there was only one way to get Mew (from them), said there was no possible way to get it through the game. Well they lied! The cheat about going behind the S.S. Anne and moving a truck on the land surounding it doesn't work (moving the S.S. Anne I don't know about) [that doesn't work either]. But this cheat does work (I've tried it) [so have I]. It works for either Red, Blue, or Yellow Version. You first must have never beat the Youngster with the Slowpoke on route 25 (between Nugget Bridge and Bill's Place) and the Gambler in front of the underground passage between Celadon and Lavender. Now, first you go to the entrance of the underground passage leading to Lavender. When your right in front of the door, save, and go down one step and press start immediatly. You must press start and access the menu before you get into the fight. Make one of your Pokemon fly to Cerulean. When you do that, the menu will go away, the gambler's exlemation point will go up and you'll fly to Cerulean. When your there, you will not be able to access the menu for the game will think you are in a battle and you can't access the menu in a battle (you will also be unable to talk (or fight) anybody but the two Youngsters on route 25 (those are the only people to my knowledge). If you try to talk to anybody, they will only turn towards you and say nothing). Find the Youngster (he should be the second Youngster there, going from closest to farthest). Do not walk straight up to him or your game will crash. Have it so he'll walk up to you. Beat him. Access menu (you will be able to now) and fly to Lavender. Go left, to route 8 (where the Gambler is). When you get to route 8, the menu will automatically appear. DO NOT SAVE! Exit menu. You will be attacked by a level 7 Mew. I have only tried this cheat on yellow. I do not know if it will work on Blue or Red (it's supposed to) [I did it on Red, and it worked].

D_N :cool:

13. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    This is kind of random, but I heard this on a podcast and agreed. If Nintendo ever released a Pokemon MMORPG, it would top WoWs 9 million subscribers.

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    There is a Pokemon MMORPG, the website. It's very early days and it's kinda sucky, but oak trees from acorns grow.

15. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    I think he means an official one made by the Pokemon Company, endorsed by Nintendo. You know, one that doesn't suck.

I've been playing Pokémon Crystal for years now, and never had a problem, but I stopped playing it a while back. When I picked it up again, my game was gone, with only "New Game" and "Options" on the main menu. I tried starting a new game, and saved it, but when I restarted the Game Boy, the game wasn't there. After a whole bunch of tries, I finally got the game to register the save, but it said that the game was corrupted. I let the game sit off for a few minutes, and when I came back, the game was gone, with only the aforementioned two options. I did it again, and the game saved, and actually let the game turn on. BUT, after restarting the game again, the game was corrupted and wouldn't start. I left it off for a little bit once again, and after turning it back on, the save game was gone.

Nader, sounds like you have a bad battery in the cartridge. Saves are battery backed. IIRC, Crystal has a clear case, so look for a button battery about the size of a dime. You'll have to open the case to the game and swap out the battery.

If that doesn't work, buy a new cartridge.

16. Darph_Nader

Aug 17, 2005
    Skye, do you have any idea what exactly I'd use to unscrew the screw on the back? I've never seen a screw head like that before. My mom said I ought to take to a jeweler's shop and have them do it, but I'd rather do it myself (who wouldn't?).

17. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Welcome to Nintendo's non-standard screws.

There are screwdrivers available through import stores that unscrew GB carts (and others for controllers and consoles). However, you are looking at $10-15 plus shipping to get them. IIRC, the GBA screw is round with some notches in it. I remember reading about people able to do it with thin needlenose pliers.

Edit: sorry, the round bolt was the old style. You want to look for tri-wing screwdrivers.

Google "video game screwdrivers" for some solutions.

Might be easier to try and find the game used though.

18. Darph_Nader

Aug 17, 2005
    Thanks a bunch, Skye. :) I found a 3.5 mm game bit that'll work on it, but I'm gonna check if EB Games happens to have one that they could use on it before I buy one, mostly 'cuz I'm too cheap.

19. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    The Pokemon franchise deserves to be turned into a MMO. Just the idea of such a game makes me drool. Being able to play others online, live in the Pokemon world.

20. asfnone

asfnone Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2007
    I have a total of 12 of the games

21. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Red/Blue was the ****! Good times, many a lesson I didn't pay attention to because of those games.:p

The last Pokeman game I bought was Pokemon Silver. I took a look at the updated list of monsters and I didn't recognize a good number of them.:(

22. asfnone

asfnone Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2007
    Yeah they added tons

There's like 500

23. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    So, after being so annoyed by the Pokemon fanboys in my school growing up for so many years that I have avoided ever playing a Pokemon game...I'm ready to buy one and try it out. They've always looked fairly interesting, and this time I think I'm going to go ahead and bit the bullet and join the fandom.

Plus, there is a Penguin. I shall name him Pen^2.

24. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Why not name him Crosby?

25. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Because Pen Pen/Pen^2 is from Evangelion.