Karate Kid--rebooted

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Koohii, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    I thought it was an excellent film, and it's successful with my 5 year old. Even helped amp up his interest in martial arts.

Also, Daniel Larusso was actually kind of looking forward to his move to a certain degree. After all, it's that storied Californ-i-ay he's moving to. Dre is a 12 year old kid being moved from all he knows, his friends and family, and most importantly... his culture to go to Beijing. I can understand his beef. If it were Detroit to LA the transition would be less jarring for the kid, things are done mostly the same. Very different world in Beijing.

I think you're just generally a crotchety old coot! [face_laugh]
  2. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's because I am. So there. Crotchety, complaining, grump. You kids and your damn loud music and louder, uber-flashy videos just don't appreciate the old quality static way of doing things.
    Funny that the original was credited with boosting strip-mall dojos. The stripmall dojo in the movie is where all the evil kids are!
    Daniel seems like he was pretty ticked about having to move, but tried to make the best of the situation. Dre doesn't try. He was determined to be misserable, and seems to have succeeded. That's as far as I got. He was going to look for Mr Chen the fix-it guy(Jackie Chan?). Still determined to be miserable. By this point in the original, Daniel had reason to be pissed. His first attempt to be accepted resulted in getting beaten up, and in front of the girl. Dre continues to make negative effort, in spite of several people being nice to him.
    Maybe the movie got better. I don't know. I have no intention of finding out. I tried it. I gave it a fair chance. Yes, 15 minutes of a 2 hour movie is a very fair chance. If I don't give a crap about the characters, and the pacing is not moving, by the end of 15 minutes, I'm done. There are better things to watch.
  3. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, it does turn out quite good shortly after meeting Mr Han.

And a beautiful trip to Wu Tang Mt.
  4. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8

I'm going to echo this.

I was honestly surprised by how much I liked this movie. They didn't treat it as a remake in the sense that they just copied and pasted the story with new actors; they treated it incredibly different and used the theme of the original and presented it in a completely new and very good way.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.