Tucson **Kat and I really want to start up a BOOK CLUB in late August/early September! Who is with us? **

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, May 5, 2007.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    We want to start up a Book Club since now there are several of us in the group that do actually read the EU books. With Kat gone for several weeks it gives us time to plan and coordinate, and Kat will be in on the planning, she may be in Minn and currently being attacked by an Alien but she can still communicate with us through her computer while making butter in MN :)
  2. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Would the bok be passed around or would everyone have to purchase a copy? That would get expensive.
  3. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    that depends. so far most of us have copies of several of the books. There is always the library as well. and bookmans for used and amazon for even cheaper used.. Have to see what happens when we pick the first book.. I sure hope Kat doesn't want it to be sacrifice.. reading it would be a sacrifice as I am not to that point in the series at this point.. though I would go ahead and read it and break my cycle.. wouldn't bother me that much really. though I would be lost on some of the past references I am sure.. or a lot of them..
  4. JediObiKat Force Ghost

star 3
    I would like to discuss the Legacy of the Force series, but...I know not everyone is up to that point.
    We could do stand-alone books like the Darth Bane novel, Allegiance, or Outbound Flight. Another possibility would be some of the older books.
    To address Hal's money concern, you would not have to buy the books since the library carries all the Star Wars books, though the newest ones might not be in yet.
  5. Jada Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey all.

We started with doing the "ROTS" series [LoE, ROTS, Dark Lord] and then went to Darth Bane and we are now doing the Han Solo Trilogy leading into the Original Trilogy books with Shadows of the Empire thrown in.

Two pieces of advice I'd give:

1) There is a vast amount of SW literature. Some of it is stand alone like the Darth Bane book and others aren't [NJO]

2) Many people will become completely lost at certain "nuances" aka references in books like Hand of Thrawn Duology if they haven't read the Thrawn Trilogy. The NJO also references so much of the past literature.

You have decide as a group how important is it to you that people are "read" up to that point or willing to read a book that they might not get all the references but will still enjoy.

For example, I picked up an NJO book and started reading it and freaked because of the Yuuzhan Vong. I had no clue who they were. The same thing happened because I read the Hand of Thrawn Duology before reading the Trilogy and I didn't understand a certain reference the Noghri made to Leia. [OK, did my best not to post any spoilers ;)]

Starting in August we'll be doing the Original Trilogy. I know back when I started up the book club in Charlotte Cat and I had talked about reading the books as sister clubs. You are welcome to join us in this.

Good luck! [face_good_luck]
  6. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I never did answer the question, but I'm interested.
  7. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I get a lot of my reading material at the public library. Is the library system down here good at keeping up to date with new SW releases?
  8. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    They seem to be. I can check into it this summer to be sure about that though. Perhaps if we tell them we are starting a book club it might pave the way for them to get more copies.
  9. JediObiKat Force Ghost

star 3
    The Tucson library is okay about ordering new Star Wars books, sometimes they get them in, sometimes not. It looks like they have Sacrifice on order, though...speaking of which, is that Mara or Jaina on the cover???
    http://www.amazon.com/Sacrifice-Star-Wars-Legacy-Force/dp/0345477405/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-7773934-9462258?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178671882&sr=8-2
  10. mmmothman32 Jedi Padawan

I think the book should start with NJO.
  11. Jada Force Ghost

star 6
    It's Mara.
  12. JediObiKat Force Ghost

star 3
    That's who I was leaning towards...she just looked a little young to be Mara
  13. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I donated the first 3/4 of NJO in hardback to the library. I never got past that set. Honestly, I got board with NJO after that many books. It seemed to go too slow (for me at least).
  14. JediObiKat Force Ghost

star 3
    So, late August/early September is here...what book do we want to discuss for our inaugural discussion???
    I know a couple people aren't caught up in the Legacy of the Force series, so (as _A_V_ logically suggested) a stand-alone novel would probably be the way to go. We can talk about it at the meeting, so bring some ideas for what you want to read!!!
  15. Jada Force Ghost

star 6
    If you want a fantastic stand alone novel Darth Bane is unfreakin' believable! Now, there is going to be a sequel but even so . . . it is a delicious book. [face_devil]

Also, if you have any interest in "tag teaming" with the CFF Book Club we just finished A New Hope and our schedule is:

Sept: ESB
    Oct: Shadow of the Empire
    Nov: ROTJ
    Dec: no book just a party [face_dancing]

Then we are deciding between reading the Zahn Thrawn books or Legacy of the Force for 2008. We will probably start out 2008 with the Darth Bane sequel.
  16. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    I know Cheryl is more of a Luke woman.. will be hard for her to concentrate on a book without much Luke content.. though I suppose we will all be willing to give a little with each book so each person gets a chance to enjoy a good choice for the group.. as far as stand alone books I agree with Jada, Darth Bane-Path of Destruction is awesome!! But I am going to agree to any book as I am so excited to finally have the book club up and running period!!
  17. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am gonna have to disagree with you guys on this one. The story is cool, but I HATED the style of writing, and the lack of knowledge of the SW universe on the Author's part (He mentiones the lightsaber fighting style Vaapad, which Mace Windu won't invent for another 1000 years). You can really tell that this guy worked on the writing for the KOTOR games, and I think he should just stick to that. I was a big fan of Darth Bane until I read the book.
  18. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Cat knows me too well. I'm a Luke-aholic.

It seems to me that whatever book we choose will either be one that someone loves or someone hates. It makes the discussion much more interesting. As long as everyone knows its just opinion. So the fact that Cat loved and Mike hated Darth Bane makes for great conversation.
  19. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    That is a very good point
  20. TuskenFan Jedi Master

star 4
    In Star Wars Insider Issue #92 (March/April 2007) this question was addressed in the column Ask The Master (answered by Pablo Hildago, Director of Continuity for LFL). The author admits it is a continuity error but the explanation given by Pablo, at least to me, sounds plausable. Here is the question and answer...

Q: In Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction, it said that Master Kas'im was skilled in all seven forms of lightsaber combat, including Vaapad. But Vaapad wasn't created until Mace Windu thought it up almost 1,000 years later. what's up with that?

-Taylor Luckie, via the Internet

A: While author Drew Karpyshyn has identified this as a continuity error, it can easily be expanded into a richer story point. Remember that the term "vaapad" describes a fast and deadly creature native to Sarapin, Master Kas'im was indeed adept at a seventh form of lightsaber combat, a powerful discipline know as Juyo. On Sarapin, "juyo" and "vaapad" are as interchangeable as "cougar" and "puma" are on Earth. The details of Juyo were lost in the ancient past, but when Mace Windu began developing the modern Form VII, he resurrected the lost name of Vaapad for his dangerous new combat technique.

***This is TK-2970 again...*** Since details of using Vaapad state that in order to use Vaapad the user must just barely touch the Dark Side, I could see that using Vaapad to it's full potential could mean crossing over to the Dark Side and thus understand how Master Kas'im could be so adept at it.
  21. JediObiKat Force Ghost

star 3
    This just further proves that anything can be explained away...

So, the current semi-consensus is to do the Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley for our first discussion. If anyone thinks this would not be good discussion material please speak up! You can find the book at the library as a 3-in-1 book (i.e. there are 3 shorter books to the Han Solo Adventures, and we would discuss all three)
    Do remember that not everyone is going to like the book every time, which is part of what makes discussions interesting

I was thinking to have the discussion towards the end of September so that people would have time to read the book. What day/time works best for everyone? Perhaps Sat. or Sun. September 29th or 30th?
  22. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I know Bookmans has a ton of the 3 in 1 version for like $2 not too long ago.
  23. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Pima County Library doesn't have a copy of the Han Solo Adventures. I checked the TFF library thread and we don't have it either. Short of me running to the bookstore to get a copy I can't really afford, does anybody have a copy I can borrow?
  24. Jada Force Ghost

star 6
  25. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think I might have to sit this one out, because I'd rather spend my time catching up with Legacy of the Force than reading a book I most likely won't enjoy. I'll still consider myself part of the book club, I'll just pick and choose when I participate :D
Moderators: DieWompRatDie