main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kathleen Kennedy confirms new films will continue Skywalker saga

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediAce1, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Much like Jakku's resemblance to Tatooine. ;)

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^ lol Fair point. Though I guess we haven't seen if there's more to Jakku that sets it apart.

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

To be fair a desert is a desert.

4. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    My question is why do you want Rey to be unrelated so badly? I mean you and that 0101030202 guy are the only ones that seem to want it to be that way.

How much sense would it have made watching a trailer for ANH if someone told you Luke was Vader's son. You would be been like "No way he is related" "How did he get on that desert planet" "Wouldn't Vader be looking for him", "if he ends up related its going to be totally unbelievable"

CairnsTony and Pfluegermeister like this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

6. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    If you were going to make a new SW saga but wanted to distance it from George Lucas' vision - which is what has happened, his ideas/screenplay was not used - the easiest way would be to switch the main character from Luke's son/daughter to Han/Leia's son/daughter. The obvious route to go would be Luke's son fighting the new Sith/Empire threat. That would be consistent with the previous trilogies. Switching it to Han/Leia's daughter makes sense plus the idea of Rey's twin brother (Kylo) turning to the dark side - which appears to be the case - adds more drama and story complexity.

Essentially, Rey Solo is the Luke Skywalker character of the third trilogy. She may or may not become a full Jedi but it's possible Ep 9 will see her 'save' her brother from the dark side - which should mirror the ending of ep 6.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

On what do you base the notion that anyone is trying to "distance" anything from Lucas?

Even IF they aren't using Lucas treatments/screenplays, doesn't mean they aren't using his ideas. Making the new hero the child of Han and Leia doesn't "distance" anything.

And Kylo Ren is Rey's twin brother? In what universe does Daisy Ridly look thirty or Adam Driver look like a twenty year old?

8. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Couldn't they just both pass for 25? I kind of think they could.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  9. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014

Well as we all know, Abrams/Kadan are not using Lucas' ideas. Mr Lucas said that - it's public knowledge -

but if Abrams/Kasdan wanted the new saga to be about the SW family - and Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed this - then switching it from Luke's son to Han/Leia's daughter seems a sensible approach. I didn't meant 'distancing' in the pejorative sense. I meant they've retained the idea of a generational family saga but they're not going with Lucas' specific plot for ep 7.

As for Kylo and Rey as twins, would seem likely/possible. It's a sci-fi saga - do character have to age like they do here on Earth? Nah, of course not.

Another possibility is Kylo and Rey are Han's children but not Leia's. Han may have fathered them when he was no longer with Leia (assuming Leia and Han stayed together after Ep 6!). Han is a rogue, it's not unreasonable to think he may have strayed, had a few affairs. Perhaps that idea wouldn't suit Disney, it's not politically correct to have Han Solo as some irresponsible father having kids as a result of casual sex, but that idea could work and explain why Rey doesn't know her parents. Han had an affair with some woman, a casual encounter, she gave birth to Rey and Kylo, Han was never told about them, the children were adopted. Han never saw them.

If you remove Leia as the mother you can get around this question: "how can Rey be on Jakku without knowing she is a Solo?" Well, if Han had kids and they were not Leia's - I think it can work. I don't think Disney would go that route because it deconstructs Han Solo. It makes him look like a deadbeat father.

10. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Crawling out from my self imposed lurkdom...:p

If Leia is not Kylo and Rey's mother then presumbly their mother was some other Force sensitive, but why split Han and Leia up just so Han can have kids with another Force sensitive woman when he already HAD one at the end of ROTJ?

Also Kylo seemingly has some kind of obsession with Vader, which packs a far greater punch if he is his grandson.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I don't believe so Driver could. And I don't see them ageing Ridley. Either way, there is no way they pass as the same age.

12. littlewaves

Apr 19, 2008
    I agree it's unlikely but I'm not so convinced as you that there's no way. Hollywood is full of late twenties playing teens in high school with early forties playing their parents and I think driver can look pretty youthful.

That said I think the whole idea of them being twins is just people clinging onto the EU a little too much.

They could easily be siblings though....

.... or cousins....

.....or ex-lover's roommates....

... or just two people in the same galaxy.

13. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    Exactly. We've already established it's still a Skywalker saga. Did I miss the part where it was revealed that Han was Luke's brother?

Unbelievable.

They are probably just siblings. But I can also see them passing for twins. He doesn't look that old.

CairnsTony and Claire1976 like this.
  14. littlewaves

Apr 19, 2008
    doesn't mean the bad guy has to be a Skywalker. See Palpatine, Dooku, Maul, Grevious and Tarkin.

So maybe while Leia was busy in training with Luke at the Academy Mara and Han got bored and got it on. Mara then pretended Kylo was Luke's kid but when the kid was already taller than him at age 11 Luke figured it out and got all cross and banished Kylo who, spurned by his father figure fell into the ever welcoming arms of the Dark Side.

Case closed I think!:D

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    littlewaves

Siblings? I'm not saying they couldn't be - I'm not so nitpicky as to require that only actual siblings or lookalikes portray on screen siblings :D, but that isn't the same thing as age.

Driver supposedly being the same age as Ridley would have me thinking of the cast of Grease or Kevin Bacon in Footloose. ;)

KDC1972 likes this.
  16. jewlmc17

Jun 2, 2013
    Again. Adam Driver can easily pass for younger.

17. littlewaves

Apr 19, 2008

well like I said Hollywood has previous on this!

I think she's his little sister though. Was at the academy when very but either rescued or spared when big bro either brought in or was taken by the enemy.

Sure she could be Luke's kid but that would involve a load of backstory to fill in which they don't really need to do if they just make her a young solo. She'd still be a skywalker in blood and direct descendant of Anakin/Vader. Plus more emotional turmoil if she ultimately kills her brother. I mean I barely know some of my cousins!

18. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    If Luke shacked up with another Jedi and the result was Rey would she not be more powerful than a Han / Leia child providing she inherited her parents Midichlorians?

19. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Why do so many people in here automatically assume that if Rey and Kylo are siblings(I firmly believe they are) that they absolutely, positively must be twins? Brothers and sisters can be different ages, you know... I mean, I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but I hear it does sometimes happen. ;)

I think it's pretty obvious that if Kylo is Rey's brother, he's several years her senior.

20. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013

The rumor that has started to play [and kind of like it] says that Kylo Ren might be a child of Han but his mother is not Leia. I think it's fine if Kira Rey, being Leia's or Luke's daughter [being right in the Skywalker lineage] has to confront and eventually redeem his half-brother or "half-cousin"...

21. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Where did you hear that rumour? First I've heard of it.

22. jewlmc17

Jun 2, 2013
    It's ridiculous. How do you remove Leia and thus the Skywalker bloodline? Isn't Kylo supposed to think he's Vader reborn or something? Makes a lot more sense if he's his Grandfather.

P.S. I'm loving all these "Shacked up" comments about a Disney movie. OK!

23. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I like the idea of Rey being Luke's daughter and Kylo being Leia's son.

With Han possibly dead by the end of TFA - the conflict between Luke and Leia will be very interesting. Something which we have never seen before between the two. And I hope this plays out in 8 and 9.

24. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

I'd at least prefer they not be twins. There's enough trilogy rhyming as it is. Just make him the older sibling.

DarthRosie likes this.
  25. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Same here. Sounds to me like yet another BS fantasy cooked up by people who can't stand the idea of Han and Leia's daughter being the protagonist or their son the antagonist... You know, the same people who are threatening to boycott the film if Rey is a Solo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.