main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Kathleen Kennedy "Disney to release two to three LUCAS FILM movies a YEAR"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Saurion-Fett, Nov 17, 2012.

1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Recently we had two Lucasfilm films in one year back in 2008, but both were duds imo. :p

2. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    OH.

How about a fun "Planet Earth"-like series, narrated by Sir David Attenborough, providing overviews of landscapes and life upon all of our favorite Star Wars planets/galaxies?

I think that would be pretty awesome

3. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Can anyone tell me how 2-3 films per year is equal to "fewer than four per decade"?
    This still looks like a misunderstanding (still the same source as when this news originally hit). one movie every two-three years = four or less in a decade. And that was also the original announcement.
    Hope they clear this up soon.

4. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    The way that is worded is confusing but I think it means that they want to make 2-3 films per year in CONTRAST to the fewer than four per decade that they are currently producing.

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    If LucasFilm ends up producing 2-3 movies a year, I think that might lead to saturation of the market for them. I mean, a full Episode is one thing, but LFL has never been one to really flood the market with projects (like other companies), and I think that it would end up being more of a quantity thing over quality in the end, especially if deadlines aren't met and the release schedule gets haphazard.

6. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    What is it about "has told employees she wants the company to produce two or three films a year (it’s averaged fewer than four per decade)" that makes you think they mean "as opposed to fewer than four per decade"? English isn't my first language, so maybe I'm missing something here. The fact that they never used the wording "fewer than four per decade" before makes me think this is just a misunderstanding.
    "Two-three movies per year" is a lot closer to "a movie every two-three years" than to "fewer than...", as far as wording goes.

and if we're talking strictly star wars movies I have a hard time seeing how they're going to get resources to make 2-3 a year. Not to mention how much they'll flood the market with SW stuff. There is such a thing as too much.

7. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    What this says is that KKennedy told her people she wants to make 2-3 films per year. And in parenthesis, the author of the article is telling us that Lucasfilm has only averaged four films a decade.

On behalf of all English speakers, I apologize for our goofy language. ;-)

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd love to see them complete the Redtails "trilogy", of course more "Willow", there are also two good book series Lucasbooks published, The Alien Chronicles and The Seventh Tower. If you root around, there's a lot of good content under the LFL umbrella. I'm sure GL has many unproduced projects. And some things need a complete video release: Twice Upon A Time, Droids, Ewoks.

9. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I like to have Boba Fett movies. Republic Commando movies. KOTOR/TOR movies.
    [face_laugh]Agreed! I be worried if Lucas wanna make 2-3 SW movies per year!

Anyhoo, Disney will bring in the best to handle SW. 2-3 movies per year? Bring it on!

10. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    This has actually very little to do with Star Wars, and is news only because it represents a desire on Kennedy's part to rejuvinate Lucasfilm and make it so that the studio is known for more than just two franchises and its plethora of sister companies.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Why not? It worked so well for the Matrix franchise.

12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Sarcasm? :)

Even back-to-back trilogies like LOTR and Hobbit have a one per year schedule.

Maybe a main storyline movie and a spinoff? But even in this case, it's better to space them out.

13. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    I was side-eyeing this announcement until I realized they probably don't mean they're going to release 2-3 Star Wars movies a year. The company Lucasfilm will be making 2-3 movies a year some of which will probably not be Star Wars. Disney's kicking them in the butt saying "We just shelled out cash for you, now you're going to earn your keep."

tl;dr this doesn't necessarily mean 2-3 new Star Wars movies a year. Just 2-3 movies a year with the Lucasfilm logo in front of them.

But just an idea of what this could mean in a positive light:
    Imagine a Pixar Star Wars animated movie.
    I'll let you ponder that for a while. :D

14. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Sounds like most of you guys are in the first stage of grief, denial. There will be 2-3 Star Wars movies a year. The Episode movies will be like The Avengers every 3 years. Between there will be spinoff movies that are in the universe but don't necessarily tie in.

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why? Why? Why can't they move on to a new generation in the STAR WARS saga? I don't mind if Luke, Leia or Han make a cameo appearance. But why not create new characters or focus on a different generation? I'm getting a little tired of the lack of originality in Hollywood films these days.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I see that you have, also, read the leaked script. I was similiarily disappointed with the early cut of the film when I saw it...

17. Suginami

Suginami Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2012
    I'd like to see a Knights of the old republic series of films.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  18. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Anyone know how many movies Pixar releases a year?

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    on average... 0.25-0.50

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Roughly one a year, but those are pretty complex projects. I'm sure LFL has the resources to produce 2-3 live-action movies a year, say.

Anyway, anyone thinking this means 2-3 SW films a year is reading all this incorrectly. It'll in fact mean that SW will represent 25% of LFL's output at best--the rest will be non-SW content.

21. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    We're not in denial about anything. Nowhere in that article does it say or even imply that Kennedy wants LF to put out 2-3 SW movies a year; what it DOES say is exactly what myself and others have said: Kennedy wants to see LF become a powerhouse production studio that is known for more than just two franchises (SW and Indy) and its sister companies (ILM, LucasArts, Skywalker Sound, etc.).

22. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Phew, guys - it's a pretty simple statement when you pick it apart. All it's saying is that Lucasfilm has been a low-output studio up until now, and Kennedy wants to increase output to about 2-3 films per year as opposed to 4-5 per decade. It doesn't say 2-3 Star Wars films, just films in general - although of course the first in line is SW7. Some of these other films could be Indiana Jones, original projects (a la Red Tails), or anything else, really. Maybe people are confused because of previous statements that say to expect a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years. Let's all just calm down.

Jango_Fett21 and fishtailsam like this.
  23. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Coming summer of 2017, Even More American Graffiti!

Jokes aside, I wouldn't mind if they made some animated movies like Marvel does for tv or video based on the best of the expanded universe, maybe even retconned a bit to fit whatever they're cooking up for ep7. I want to see something new for ep7 but would love to see the Thrawn trilogy animated. I have a feeling we will see SW spin offs (Joe Johnston's Boba Fett), Indy reboot and unrelated films.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Is the idea to harken back to old serials? I think Clone Wars is sort of like that(though weekly) but 2 to 3 a year? How about some quality control and realization that the EU on screen is not going to be good? I am mixed on this. How about once a year for no better reason that anal retentive quality control? The Clone Wars theatrical release was decent but not that decent. I actually liked the first episode of the tv premeire better.

Perhaps every thought about how to make Star Wars should be followed by the question, "Does this suck?"

Do not reduce SW to a tv show on the big screen.

25. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Tucker needs a bluray release, IMHO.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.