main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kathy Kennedy specifically confirms sequel trilogy to be about next generation of Skywalker family

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I know she sort of already did once by saying the saga films are a generational family saga. This time she spelled it out:

Two types of Star Wars projects are being planned, which Kennedy has labeled “Saga” and “Anthology.”

“The Saga films focus on the Skywalker family saga,” she explains. “The stories follow a linear narrative that connects to the previous six films. The Force Awakens follows Return of the Jedi and continues that generational story. The Anthology films offer opportunities to explore fresh characters, new storylines and a variety of genres inside the Star Wars universe.”

Here is a link to the article for reference:

http://waltsbasement.yuku.com/topic/47022/The-Force-is-Still-With-Them
    Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread, but it didn't seem to fit specifically into any other thread on quick glance

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    where's the article from? someone could have just written that.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  4. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    This pleases me.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    There already is one so this is nothing particularly new just a re-affirmation of the same. I don't know that she has said it so very clearly before but we got the gist already and the second teaser really tells you that anyway.

"The Saga films focus on the Skywalker family saga. The stories follow a linear narrative that connects to the previous six films. The Force Awakens follows Return of the Jedi and continues that generational story."

NostalgiaFan and Dak Oolron like this.
  6. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Yes me too.

Also for me it confirms Rey is part of the Skywalker bloodline.

We have Kylo Ren is supposedly Han and Leia's son, who has turned to the dark side and is obsessed with his grandfather's Darth Vader persona.

To me, there is no way in hell that the only Skywalker grandchild would be a bad guy. They are also probably trying to create a yin and yang dynamic with the grandchildren. One the bad grandchild and the other being the purely good grandchild and will likely build the whole thing towards an epic and emotional confrontation by the end of the trilogy, much in the way the Luke/Vader confrontation went in ROTJ.

So, if one of the grandchildren is a good guy, he/she would have to be a lead character. They wouldn't make him/her be a secondary or supporting character.

Of the 3 leads, you have one who already has been given a last name (Poe) and already has a cannon story published which seems to tell the story about how his parents met and conceived him.

Another of the leads is a black male. While he hasn't been given a last name, there seems to be no indication that he would have any blood relationship to the family.

That leaves Rey, who has a striking resemblance to Padme and also has not been assigned a last name yet. She also seems to be force sensitive and gets to be the character who is the one the lightsaber is meant for to take it to Luke at the end of the movie. There is also evidence of her inheriting the Falcon after Han is killed by Kylo and also a photo showing her and Chewie at the controls of the ship looking sad and distraught without Han (the obvious presumption being that this taking place after Han's death near the end of the movie).

The way I am seeing this is that the grandchildren/next generation Skywalkers are Rey and Kylo and the whole story will revolve and build around them and their conflict with one another.

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    COOL! So wheres the trailer Kennedy ? [face_whistling]

8. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    [face_sigh] You know, if PT had come first and we hadn't already known that Anakin was Darth Vader; everyone would have sworn up and down that there would be no way that he could fall to the darkside. It wouldn't have made sense for the hero to be a bad guy, bad narrative, whatever. If Kylo is the grandson of Skywalker and goes off the deep end doesn't automatically make Rey or Poe or Finn a Grandchild of Anakin just because it makes sense story wise and it is not fair ... blaw blaw blaw

Just my two cents.

9. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    Rey is a Skywalker. The end.

10. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Who knows? Kylo's arc could be a return to the light side, while Rey's could be a descent to the dark side... A lot is still possible, at this point.

11. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    As well, 'Yoda 2' on the Cantina forums, the guy who knew the name of Jakku before it was even revealed, said the same source told him that Rey is Luke's daughter.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This all sounds very good.

13. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Rey being Luke's daughter adds another interesting element: Luke's daughter vs. Leia's son likely has to put strain on the Luke/Leia relationship at some point.

14. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Exactly!

Also, if Kylo is so deep into Sith and Vader lore, maybe he believes that the only way to take down the real villains is to do so from the inside as his grandfather did.

15. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah and there was some talking of Lucas at one point that the ST would be about the fight of 2 families that would shatter the galaxy. I know Lucas said a lot in different times, but who knows, maybe this idea was kept. [face_dunno]

16. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Not necessarily. Remember, Leia's son also will have killed his own father/her ex partner/husband. Very likely there is no love lost between her and Kylo. She may even be fully in favor of Rey confronting him in the end.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  17. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    I imagine that relationship might already be strained, given what Leia is rumoured to be doing in TFA (being a little bit of a hypocrite with the superweapon) and maybe Han's death will add to the strain too. Y'know, because if Luke hadn't been hiding, he could've saved Han or something

18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Remember Luke's compassion for Vader because of the good that he still felt was there? A mother will hold that same hope for her son till the very end. She may agree that he needs to be stopped, but she surely does not want him dead.

19. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    ^ Agreed. I think that while she feels he needs to be confronted by Rey or Luke, she doesn't want him dead. She probably still sees the good in him, like Luke (and Padme) did with Anakin.

danmcken, TheBBP and nightangel like this.
  20. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I don't know why everyone is going so crazy over this story.

All it actually 'confirms' is that someone in the new cast is descended from Anakin and therefore continuing the Skywalker family line (YES even if their surname turns out to be Solo not Skywalker). It gives us no new insight other than that presumably one or more of the new young cast are the offspring of either Leia and/or Luke.

Anything beyond that is purely speculation.

21. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It's nice to see her reference all six films, reassuring that yes, the PT is recognized and will be referenced at times.

Jobertus, B99, Wildcatbarry and 2 others like this.
  22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  23. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Interesting that more people think that Rey is the only Skywalker descendant than thinks that BOTH Rey and Kylo are descendants. I thought up until this point we had more "evidence" that Kylo was part of the bloodline than we did for Rey, other than her look.

24. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm almost certain Rey is a Skywalker now. With the (re)confirmation that the saga is about the Skywalker family, I don't believe for a second that Luke and Leia will be book-ended by an evil father and grandson. That strikes me as going too dark. And it would be folly to try to continue the generational saga by focusing on a "hero" who murdered Han Solo. You need someone the audience will root for, not against. So I think there will be another Skywalker, and one who either is or will become a hero. Given that we know Rey appears to be training with Luke in 8, she seems the clear candidate for this familial role.

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Are you saying Anakin did that, or that Anakin believed that? Because one of those is false.

Yes... it'd be Leia's time to go thru what Luke did in ROTJ, believing he could be saved when nobody else does.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.