main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jack, FL Katrina

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Errant_Venture, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I know I'm not too active here with the FF and I can't say I'll be active in the months to come (seeing how I'm on the verge of enlisting) so I don't even know where I'll be.

But is there any chance we can do a fundraiser to raise funds/supplies for the hurricane victims? I know a great many FF groups are in the planning stages for just such a thing and I think it'd be awesome if we can do it. I'm in the jax area so I'll be able to come to meetings now.

I mean if you think about it people would be willing to spend 5 dollars to get their picture taken with a Jedi or a ST or something. Or maybe not, I dunno. But I'd be willing they'd be willing to.

Anyways I think it'd be awesome if we could assist in some way.

~Jonathan.

2. darth-blaze

darth-blaze Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I think is a great idea, just don't know where, and how is willing to sponsor us for this, people are already heartbroken due to the gas prices, I will be surprise if we can pull this one.

3. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Hey EV - been wondering what happened to you. Are you really enlisting?

I was thinking this morning about the same thing - some kind of fundraising for Katrina victims.

Maybe we can focus on the Louisiana and Mississippi FF groups and help them recover somehow - either through donated items or ???

Ideas anyone?

4. DairNimiris

DairNimiris Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    Canned beans don't go bad, they're inexpensive and you can eat them cold and they still taste good. I'm thinking of sending a big ol' box out this week.

5. jediadigallia

jediadigallia Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    Yeah, maybe a food drive to places that people still have to go regardless of the gas prices, like a grocery store, or something. I have thought about the picture thing...like collectively purchasing one of those small photo printers that you hook up to a digital camera? That way you could charge a certain amount for the photo and tell the people that the money is going to whatever charity we choose to work with at that time.

6. darth-blaze

May 19, 2002
    sounds great, anybody want to head this up, I'm kinda busy, NAS Jaxs is in alert(stby)status to receive FEMA and possibly victims. Anything you guys dicide I'm in.

7. ObiWanAmanda

ObiWanAmanda Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    sounds great guys...let me know, I would like to help also.

Manda

8. darth-blaze

May 19, 2002
    Hey guys, Albuquerque and Tucson are doing a Katrina relief collections I do not see why not, they are accepting donations(monetary, food and clothes. for more info check fanforce boards.

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm alive, I just havn't felt comfortable coming here and posting even when I'm not really at the meetings. And yeah I'm seriously considering enlisting. I don't know for certain yet. Its a big decesion. :p

I think it'd actually do pretty good even with gas being high. I mean realistically its only a few more dollars total. Not really big in the grand scheme of things.

I know that the FF admins are working on some kind of contest for whichever FF raises the most funds/supplies.

I donated 100 dollars worth of supplies today, well actually it was my birthday present. I'm currently broke until payday on Tuesday after 3 weeks of vacation. :(

10. Anakin-and-Padme

Anakin-and-Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    I can donate summer baby clothes. Got a ton of them & from what they say it is HOT there.

11. Anakin-and-Padme

Sep 2, 2005
    Just came across this on one of my Mommy Boards relavent to Hurricane Help:

Federal offices said today that people wanting to help to not attend the impacted sites by Hurricane Katrina and instead make cash contributions to organizations.

Cash donations do allow the agencies to avoid the need to store, pack, and distribute donated goods. The cost to do so becomes prohibitive which is why cash donations are currently being sought.

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency www.fema.gov) listed the following agencies as needing cash to assist hurricane victims:

- American Red Cross, 800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English, 800-257-7575 Spanish.

- Operation Blessing, 800-436-6348.

- America's Second Harvest, 800-344-8070.

- Adventist Community Services, 800-381-7171.

- Catholic Charities, USA, 703-549-1390.

- Christian Disaster Response, 941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554.

- Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, 800-848-5818.

- Church World Service, 800-297-1516.

- Convoy of Hope, 417-823-8998.

- Lutheran Disaster Response, 800-638-3522.

- Mennonite Disaster Service, 717-859-2210.

- Nazarene Disaster Response, 888-256-5886.

- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, 800-872-3283.

- Salvation Army, 800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769).

- Southern Baptist Convention - Disaster Relief, 800-462-8657, ext. 6440.

- United Methodist Committee on Relief. 800-554-8583.

12. darth-blaze

May 19, 2002
    I'm currently working on a place to do this collection event, tentative is going to be at Kmart on normandy blvd, everything that we collect I can take it to the NAVY base because they can transport it quickly there since the helicopter squadrons are making trips there. right now I need numbers I mean people that are willing to volunteer their time to do this.

13. Anakin-and-Padme

Sep 2, 2005
    We are willing to help out. Just let us know what day and we can check schedules.

14. ObiWanAmanda

Jun 10, 2005
    If you are looking to donate items to the hurricane relief and you don't want to send it yourself or even know where to take it....my church is getting a couble of our trailers to take over with food, clothes,....If anyone is interested I will try to get some info. tomorrow at sunday service and post....just a thought

Manda

15. darth-blaze

May 19, 2002
    What day is good for everybody. I'm still in the works with Kmart

16. Anakin-and-Padme

Sep 2, 2005
    We are usually good for Wednesday's & Saturday's.

17. ObiWanAmanda

Jun 10, 2005
    Fridays after 3:00 or anytime on Saturdays

18. ---Vossk---

---Vossk--- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2005
    just need to know when & where -
    and i will try to be there-
    i have also got my jawa (utinee )
    costume finished.
    it looks really good for a jawa costume-
    looking forward to friday nite-

19. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    For me and Mark - weekends only since we live so far away.

Also - I was thinking we could donate some of our 'Kids Eat Free' coupons from Golden Corral to the Red Cross shelter that is set up for evacuees out on Ramona Blvd. What do you think?

20. CRIMSONXXX

CRIMSONXXX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    I like it!

REDEYE

21. ---Vossk---

Jun 14, 2005
    hey!i thought we were gonna do this!it was forgotton!i'll start asking around at some local wal-marts,bestbuys,targets etc. if some one has one of those cameras that print the pictures as soon as their taken that wold be a good idea?i think we should so the picture thing but noe for 5$!!!! more like 1$ or 2$.but ask if we could use the employees lounge or something for rest from hot stuffy costumes.we could take shifts of maybe three at a time?letting the person select who they want their picture with or a picture with all of us.i would think 1$ a person-because do you know how many people come into walmart in just one hour!!!ALOT!!!and when walmart usually has an event they give out flyers about it!i think this would be a very succesful event!some people would preobaly come just for the picture!i really hope we can do this-so start asking around local stores like walmart and stores like that!

22. ---Vossk---

Jun 14, 2005
    THIS IS FOR THE NEEDY!!!!WE NEED TO DO THIS!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.