main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Keep your concentration here and now." Qui-Gon's first tip.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarkLordoftheSith14, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordoftheSith14

DarkLordoftheSith14 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2004
    At the beginning of TPM Qui-gon says "Keep your concentration here and now." Does anyone else think this could be George telling us not think of the OT while we watch the PT, but of what is happening at the moment in the PT? Some people talk about contradictions between the PT and OT. If you only focus on what is happening in the PT, and don't think about the OT these apparent contradictions don't seem to be a problem. Does what Qui-Gon says to Obi-Wan have a double meaning meant exclusively to the audience?

2. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Yes.:eek:

You could have cited your source, though.[face_tired]

http://boards.theforce.net/the_star_wars_saga/b10456/27480754/p1/?9

[face_peace]

3. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Brilliant observation, and I think this points out one of the major flaws of Anakin Skywalker as a Jedi he could never keep his concentration on the task at hand, in my opinion that is one of the major reasons Obi Wan defeated him on Mustafar.

4. DarkLordoftheSith14

Nov 26, 2004
    Sorry. I was so interested in this idea I forgot to cite your thread as my inspiration.

I have never thought of Qui-gon's line this way, and when I read your thread and it was referenced this idea sort of hit me like a brick wall. I have started to pick up on things, and have noticed that once you stop focusing on the techinical things such as CGI and acting, and start focusing on the story and characters a lot of neat stuff shows up.

Obi-Wan suffered from this flaw too, at least at the beginning of TPM and appearently he was not the only Jedi. This is probably why Anikan does it too. He picked it up from other Jedi. Qui-Gon was the only one I think who was qualified to train Anikan. He focused on what was happening at the moment, and made a decision based on what was happening as it happened. He didn't allow himself to become unfocused by thinking of what could happen, he concentrated on what was happening. If he had trained Anikan Ithink Anikan would have turned out a lot different.

I really like Qui-gon. His character is like myself. I like him "will do what I must." If I think it is what is necessary or the right thing to do I will go against thg set standards and idea. He respected the Jedi, but if he thought he needed to do something he did it.

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    You may want to take a gander at this:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_star_wars_saga/b10456/25558372/p1/?96

6. DarkLordoftheSith14

Nov 26, 2004
    Thanks for the link, Cryogenic. That is a very interesting thread.

7. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    and via another thread:
    QFT, I think there's some truth to that. I'd subconsciously felt this before, but thanks to you both for verbalizing it.

8. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

Strange that you had failed to point out how Obi-Wan and the other Jedi Masters had failed to heed Qui-Gon's warning as well.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When did Obi-Wan fail in this?

10. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    That's one of the best things you can tell someone.

I actually am trying to keep this apart of my life. I notice at work or if I'm watching the kids that if I can keep my mind on the moment and just keep track of everything I get things done. If I'm trying to think about what I should be doing more/better or about something else completely it will affect what IS going on in the present.

11. RamRed

May 16, 2002

Perhaps you should watch the PT again. All THREE movies.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't know if it's intentional, but this comes at the point where people first seeing TPM might be like: I thought Yoda was Obi-Wan's Master. It's said after Obi-Wan talks about what Yoda told him, which just furthers that effect.

I also like it in AOTC, when Anakin gets whiney about Padme not quite remembering him at first.

Obi-Wan looks at Jar-Jar and warns Anakin not to focus on the negative, which is another case of impeccable timing that seems to be directed at the people who couldn't stand Jar-Jar in TPM.

13. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Aha! Nice catch. That AOTC scene is very similar. It's like an ideological preparation served at the beginning of each film.

"Be mindful of the living Force."--TPM (Don't focus on the future)
    "Be mindful of your thoughts."--AOTC (Don't focus on the negative)

They're cautions against certain ways of thinking. I think they're both "correct," although the one in TPM is a bit more reasonable. You can tell people how to think to a certain extent, but to just ignore the negative seems like an unrealistic suggestion. Fun!

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Any actual evidence? No? [face_monkey]

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Exhibit A
    [b]Obi-Wan:[/b] I have failed you Anakin, I have failed you.[hr][/blockquote]

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The question was: How did Obi-Wan fail to heed Qui-Gon's warning ( see thread title )?

What is the evidence for this?

17. RamRed

May 16, 2002
    You're kidding me, right?

If Obi-Wan had successfully managed to heed Qui-Gon's tip, why did Yoda suggest that he needed more training by Qui-Gon's ghost? I'm not talking about learning how to become a Force ghost after death. Obviously, Obi-Wan and Yoda still had a lot to learn by the end of ROTS.

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003

19. RamRed

May 16, 2002

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Except that was the exact context of what Yoda meant when he referred to training.

I still don't see any actual examples ( after the QGJ quote in TPM ) of Obi-Wan failing to keep his concentration in the "here and now".

21. RamRed

May 16, 2002
    Well . . .that's your perogative.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Still waiting for the evidence. [face_whistling]

23. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003

24. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    But they end up screwing themselves in the process because they practically handed Anakin over to the Sith. The Jedi (including Obi-wan) were so concerned with Anakin's future, that they unwittingly realized their worst fears by not taking their own advice about letting go of your fears, not one of them bothering to take Obi-wan's place as Anakin's trainer, ignoring Anakin's problems (even after Yoda sensed him in pain over his mother's death), taking him for granted, and allowing Anakin to be friends with Palpatine.

Obi-wan is guilty for the latter 3 comments and that is how he failed Anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.