main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Keeping it PG, and the Star Wars Rule

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Obey Wann, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    OK folks, it has become apparent that while I was focusing all of my attention of making the AOTC IMAX events a success, I failed to appropriately moderate my forums. Specifically this one. And when the cat has been away, the mice have been playing. [face_plain]

First, let me say this: You all are my friends, and I love spending time with you. If I didn't, I wouldn't do the things that I've done, and I wouldn't head up the projects that I have. Trust me --my wife wants me to step down, and has for a long time. But I've stuck through with being an RSA because I love having a good time with all of you lunatics, and I love organizing and making events happen, and being an RSA gives me a good platform to organize events, activities and fun all over the US.

That being said, things have gotten out of hand here in a big way. Sexual content, flirting and innapropriate content has been infiltrating through quite a few threads, often corrupting what were good threads. And being an RSA means that sometimes I have to lay down the law.

I will be locking (some) threads in here today, and editing out objectionable content. If you have been responsible for skirting the line, or crossing it, please stop now. These are family friendly PG rated boards, and we need to follow the Star Wars rule:

If it's not said or done in Star Wars, then it shouldn't be said or done on the boards

We need to keep these forums here more family friendly. Period.

Now, that being said, I have a semi-constructive solution. You should create a separate discussion forum from the boards here that is for non-TFN/FF appropriate discussion. The PG+ section should be invitation or by request only, as to keep "virgin" eyes from seeing stuff that either they don't want to see, or shouldn't see.

I know that several of the people in this group have become very good friends, and I don't want to squash their friendship, or discussions or flirting, or whatever. But I do need to squash the inappropriate discussion on these forums here. It is driving others away from the group, and that is not what we should be doing.

If events during a non-official event, or an after hours non official event get beyond the PG rating, then please take that discussion to the other board. We need to keep this forum PG, at most.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

ED: I have removed the images, and edited a few coments help get my point across, but not quite so harshly.

2. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Obey, you're absolutely right... There should be a limit, and we are all a little guilty of not following the rules. We'll be good now.

Three cheers for Obey Wann for being a great moderator!

3. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    HIP HIP HOORAY!!
    HIP HIP HOORAY!!
    HIP HIP HOORAY!!

4. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Smacks her own hands...

You go Obey!!!

5. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Thanks for understanding, folks. You do have unlimited editing, so please feel free to clean up your own mess as well. It'll make life easier for me, and make the place more family friendly, quicker.

BTW, EZ Boards are great places for cheap small discussion boards, and I think the RMFF has one with their site. You might want to check with them to see what they've done.

6. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    I am not trying to be a jerk or stir up trouble. But with what you are saying OW 90% of these threads in how ever many pages we have need to be deleted or dissapear some how. I have taken a quote from your exact words and put it below and if this quote is true than we need to start getting rid of some threads.

If it's not said or done in Star Wars, then it shouldn't be said or done on the boards----Obey Wann

As I said again I am not trying to stir up trouble or cause problems I am just trying to clear up what I got from the head post.

Otherwise I understand and cleaing it up is a good idea.

7. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Got it! Thanks for the tip, Obey!

LP :D

8. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    Smacks self in forehead

Dooh

You got it oh fearless leader.

9. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Greedo:

It's the spirit of the law (and I'll try to find a better version of the SW Rule) that I'm trying to talk about. I don't want to get into legalistic crap right now, and I'm trying to avoid drama. Most people (including the main offenders) have already PM'd me, and agreed that they have crossed the line, and will walk it better. That's what I was looking for.

Basically, we don't see Han and Leia or Anakin and Amidala consummating their relationship, or doing anything more than just light kissing. We need to maintain a family friendly atmosphere in here, and that's what I've asked for.

Now as far as older threads and posts, I'm busy going through them and cleaning stuff as I go.

I gotta run... TTYL...

ED: Something to keep in mind: For stuff that is objectionable, or possibly objectionable: What goes on in the Falcon, Stays in the Falcon. We just need to try and keep that stuff off the boards here. thanks!

[image=http://members.cox.net/obey_wann/widitfsitf2.jpg]

Heh, I even created an image for this, just to remind people. ;) (Crappy as it may be, but it works. I'll fix the font so it works better, but it's rev 2.)

10. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    I must need to reiterate I am not trying to cause drama I was just trying to make a better understanding of it and thank you for clearing it up.

Thanks again,
    DG

11. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Obey mentioned the possibility of creating our own discussion boards for slightly less...PG-13 discussion. If we like this idea it wouldn't be hard to implement. EZBoards are crap now that you have to pay for them, but there are several open source (meaning free) BBS systems out there and I have experience with several of them. I'm sure we can set something up on our Fan Force web space. If there's enough interest we can bring up the topic at the meeting on Saturday.

12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    IA, I highly recommend doing that. Honestly, I still would like to talk and discuss some of that stuff, and I think that an alternate forum would be the best place to do that.

However, we will still use this forum for the majority of our discussion. :D

13. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Obey... you forgot to wave your hand...

So I will do it for you...

/waves hand
    However, we will still use this forum for the majority of our discussion. :D

14. Darth_Myles

Darth_Myles Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    why not setup a Yahoo message board?

15. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Either this must be bumped every week or made a sticky thread, just to constantly remind everyone.

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm hoping that this doesn't have to remain a sticky thread, as I'm hoping people will remember this in the future so that this doesn't remain a problem.

heh. I probably need to quit smoking that stuff the jawas gave me, too. ;) :p

17. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    While I agree with keeping things family friendly, I'm a little (only a little - nothing to be dramatic about) perturbed by the babysitting that's going on here. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by us playing while you've been gone Obey. In all honesty, I haven't seen anything different from what the norm has been for the past few months. Up until now, it hasn't seemed to be a problem.

More of my opinion is posted on this thread (hey, I was kinda miffed to see one of my posts edited for - what seemed to me - no apparent reason).

Also, from what I remember, it is the CityRep's position to monitor the boards. Granted sideshow can't be on all day long, but he is here quite frequently again. Isn't this *his* arena? Shouldn't *he* be making the calls as to what is appropriate and what isn't, and THEN contacting the RSA?

18. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Interesting point Kreleia. :)

Not that I've participated in any kind of naughty talk, ;) but I am surprised that there was a problem.

19. Mara_Jade_AZ

Mara_Jade_AZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    I think ObeyWann is just trying to be proactive. Whether he's the RSA or the City Rep it doesn't matter. He's in a position of authority and he's taking responsibility for something he sees as out of line. I commend him for that and he has my full support.

Is everything questionable? No. Are there things which shouldn't be on the boards? Yes. Nitpicking about who's place it is to do the cleaning isn't going to get things resolved. So long as we all agree (as we did when we signed up on these boards) to behave and play nice there shouldn't be a problem. I myself have been guilty of muddling the line in the past and I take no offense if someone asks me to cool it down. It's part of having the privilege to be on these boards. If some find them boring because of it, fine. Go find somewhere else that you don't find boring.

Just my thoughts.

MJA

20. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    PM sent Obey

21. DEICIDE

DEICIDE Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    ????????????????????????????????????????????
    what has gotten out of hand please explain?
    this board is anything but out of hand. its a practicly a made for tv dysney movie in a bigh way thanks to the star wars mind police. when the cats away the mice will play. come on. if the games the mice are playing consist of imagineary drinking in a made up bar that doesnt exist or talk of a CHAINMALE garment is considerd bad thats fairly small in comparison. Know one needs to be babysat to keep them from coloring on the walls here. everyone here is an adult. the star wars ploice are not watching this board trust me. We have actually delt with lucas films and Steve Sansweet on many issues through my grooup the 501st. Oour boards are far worse as far as topic than this group and we have had no problems at all. they dont care. they have more important things to deal with like copyright infringement issue and stuff like that.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The mandate for a PG level board comes from TFN, and after that, from Fan Force staff.

Just because we as a group are mature enough to handle things doesn't mean the forum(s) itself are the place to be "mature" about a given thing.

This isn't about what any outside group wants. This is about what TFN itself wants, and beyond that, Fan Force.

23. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    It appears to me that we have run across an Officers dispute here. Maybe we as officers should hold a meeting that Obey CAN attend where we can straighten things out.

Oh, and btw, when I replied in Deicide's thread, I didn't realize this one existed yet. Please don't harp on me for knowing better when, in fact, I hadn't seen this thread yet.

Further comments between you and me, Obey need to be taken to PM.

24. Mara_Jade_AZ

Mara_Jade_AZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    everyone here is an adult

That's just it. Not everyone here is an adult. These are open forums to adults as well as minors, which is why they must be monitored. It's not Lucasfilm that the TFN needs to worry about so much but concerned (at times rightly so) parents. It's the same reason that BOTH the 501st and the Rebel Legion exclude minors in their membership rolls. There are too many legal issues to contend with. And quite honestly, what you consider tame and unoffensive others may not.

MJA

25. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    To be completely honest...

Not everyone here is 18+/legal adult. There is no way to police it as such. So since the owners can't keep people from reaching adult content, then the owners of this board must stress keeping content from the boards.

This is to neither agree or disagree, only state fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.