main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Keeping it PG, and the Star Wars Rule

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Obey Wann, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEICIDE

DEICIDE Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    point taken void and very well stated! thanks and sorry for my age oversight

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Please note something that I said in my first post, with some emphasis added:

I know that several of the people in this group have become very good friends, and I don't want to squash their friendship, or discussions or flirting, or whatever. But I do need to squash the inappropriate discussion on these forums here. It is driving others away from the group, and that is not what we should be doing.

I gave you an acceptable solution to where we can continue conversations like that. (I'd love to see it happen) This is NOT telling you how to think, act or anything else. But as a moderator and RSA on these boards, I have the responsibility to maintain the boards the way the owners wish. That goes with the job description, regardless of how I feel about the rules.

The discussion about PG/PG13/PG13+ has gone on for years, both in Communications, the Mod Squad and in the Old Folks Home. The owners of this site are firm in their stance, and I am obligated to moderate accordingly. Most of the time, I am very, very lenient. Probably too much. But I saw stuff that IMHO was over the edge,a nd i stepped in. That is within my rights, and responsibilities of being an RSA att his site.

An advantage of having a separate forum where the rules can be different is that we don't HAVE to follow the rules as set down by TFN, and it can be invitation/request only, and be maintained at the >18 years old level. I would love to see that happen, and you can flirt to your heart's content [face_devil] , swear, post pics, whatever. You just can't do it on these forums.

Let's all try to keep the drama down, and deal with this constructively, OK?

3. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I was going to use my sock to post this but I re-thought my decision.

G - General Audience. All ages admitted. This signifies that the film rated contains nothing most parents will consider offensive for even their youngest children to see or hear. Nudity, sex scenes, and scenes of drug use are absent; violence is minimal; snippets of dialogue may go beyond polite conversation but do not go beyond common everyday expressions.

PG - Parental Guidance Suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children. This signifies that the film rated may contain some material parents might not like to expose to their young children - material that will clearly need to be examined or inquired about before children are allowed to attend the film. Explicit sex scenes and scenes of drug use are absent; nudity, if present, is seen only briefly, horror and violence do not exceed moderate levels.

PG-13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. This signifies that the film rated may be inappropriate for pre-teens. Parents should be especially careful about letting their younger children attend. Rough or persistent violence is absent; sexually-oriented nudity is generally absent; some scenes of drug use may be seen; one use of the harsher sexually derived words may be heard.

R - Restricted-Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian (age varies in some locations). This signifies that the rating board has concluded that the film rated contains some adult material. Parents are urged to learn more about the film before taking their children to see it. An R may be assigned due to, among other things, a film's use of language, theme, violence, sex or its portrayal of drug use.

These were the description I found online.

I worked at Atomic for 2 years and owned my own comic shop prior to that. I would bag comics if I thought there was any chance that that material would be either offensive or cause a parent alarm. Some of the other mangers said I was taking it too far but I thought not.

There have been a couple times we have walked very close to the line...however most of us are adults (according to the US 18+ standard) and we know when we have gone far enough. It shouldn't come to something like this and I hate to see it. It is part of the reason I stopped hanging out on another board. It became so strict that you couldn't say 'peep' without getting jumped.

Saying that I believe we should all stop and ponder one question prior to posting anything that may push the line...

If you were a parent, would you want you teenager to read what is posted here?

4. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    applauds both Sistine's findings and comments.

We might walk the line a bit but we usually stop if we go over that line. If we dont, most of us dont mind a little warning to cool it. It is not meant to offend anyone.

5. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    It became so strict that you couldn't say 'peep' without getting jumped.?

I don't want this to happen. At all. That wasn't the point of my post, or of my edits.

Saying that I believe we should all stop and ponder one question prior to posting anything that may push the line...

This pretty much goes with the intent of the "Star Wars Rule". Unfortunately, some people don't care what their teenagers see, and others are more protective.

This has blown way out of proportion, and I am sorry for that. What I meant to be a simple correction has turned out worse than intended. But some correction was needed.

(I'm also comin don with a nasty cold, as we speak. I'm sure that isn't helping things, either. :( )

I'm also going to remove the images I posted. They were meant in humor, but I guess the humor didn't translate well. My bad. :(

6. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Oki, just an FYI. I have been PMing with Obey and we've been getting each other's points of view to work out all the problems here...things are coming along to a good resolution regarding this and any action in the future. Thanks team.

7. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    *gives everbody a PG hug and goes back to posting on other threads*

8. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I?m just gonna pop in here to add a word of support for what Obey Wann said about the rules. As stated, the owners of the site have dictated certain (albeit slightly vague) standards, and one of them is to keep the boards family friendly. The constraints can be annoying, but they are the tradeoff for using such an awesome resource.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these are public boards, and if you want to work with or be associated with a charity or be seen as a professional group, keep your general image in mind. Charities are extremely sensitive about their image, and will not associate with any groups that could diminish public perception of them.

That said, how professional does it look to be discussing blow up dolls or how you like to show off or ogle women in baby T-shirts ?

Are these discussions bad? No, and they might (and do[/do] come up at any FF event anywhere. However, what you do or say at a meeting or social event is not recorded for anyone to see for posterity.

You guys have an awesome group going here, you just need to remember to keep the dirty laundry (and dirty thoughts ;)) a little more behind closed doors. There?s nothing wrong with having a public front and a more private, informal side.

~H~

9. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    3 things, then I will crawl back into my corner...

1) PEEP!!!
    2) PEEP!!!
    3) Bad Obey!! How dare you try and be humorous...

I think that now that we have been corrected, and have had this refreshed in our minds, let's just drop it, a la *********r, and get on with enjoying each other's company, wit and occasional bad humour.

We're all friends, let's not let something like this hurt that...

"Can't we just all get along??"

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    [face_laugh] LOL --Commander Chaod!!! Too true.

Please understand, everyone: I did not intend for this to get as out of hand as it went. Forgive me, as I accidentally stepped into my "Drill Sergeant" hat instead of my cautious politician one. I came off harsher than I would've liked (and obviously, this came as a big surprise to many of you), but the correction still needed to be done.

I'll use a softer hand next time, but hopefully there won't be a next time. :)

Please try and keep in mind the kick-@$$ time we all had at IMAX last week, and all of the effort that went into making that happen. I'm not the megalomainacal ban happy war monger that some of you seem to see me as. OK, warmonger maybe, but the rest --not so much. [face_devil] ;) :D :p

...and I'll take you up on that pint, CC. ;) :D One Kimballade, please. :D

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    OK, I'm heading off to school now, so if you have any major questions for me, or comments, please PM me and I'll get to them tonight/tomorrow.

I've been talking quite a bit with Void and am sure that he will handle things well tonight in my absence.

Please accept my apoligies for coming across as a father talking to disobedient 5 year old children, and I will heed Void and krelia's advice to give the CR the correction first, and let him try and clear up the issue at the local level first, without "imperial intervention". Their points are valid, and I am willing to publicly admin that I screwed up and jumped the chain of command a bit, which added to today's (unplanned) drama.

I have also recommended that the TOS be looked at, and possibly revised, to give everyone better guidance on where the line is, and what is/isn't appropriate. But if you create the other discussion forum (invitation/request access controlled), then you can talk, flirt, post and carry on without the restrictions put on you by the owners of the boards here.

TTYL, and MTFBWY!!!

OW

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Obey, thank you for your apology. I too am sorry for participating in "blowing things out of proportion." I should've taken what I had to say directly to PM in the beginning. Live and learn.

I also want to apologize to anyone else whom I might have offended. I feel like I can call everyone here a friend, and I would prefer that it remain that way. Thanks, everyone, for participating very cool-headedly and helping us clear up this little disagreement. ;)

kreleia ^.^

13. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    whoa!
    see what happens when i go to work for a little while!!!

:p j/k

i do understand what OW is saying, and i feel a little responsible. i hope i haven't been asleep at the wheel too much! :eek:
    i have been at this job for a month, so i will try to get better.
    i don't think we were too bad, but it was going a little overboard, so from now on, i will definatly keep a closer eye on content.

14. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Thanks, all.

I think what surprised people was to have them see me take off my "normal FF poster/friendly hat", and have to put on my "FF RSA administrator/drill sergeant hat". I do it so rarely that when I do, it seems to scare the crap outta people.

I would've hoped that you all knew me better to think that I was going to head around arbitrarily abnning people right and left. Nope. Not going to do it. I talked with JW quite a bit today, and she took it very well. Just a few people must have totally read me wrong, and obviously didn't catch my humor, or read for the intent of what I was talking about.

I won't apologize for doing my duty as an RSA, and for laying down the law (again). It's good to have a reminder once in a while. Maybe if I put on my RSA hat once in a while, maybe it wouldn't have surprised so many of you. Maybe if Josh, or some of the other officers assisted me in policing the threads here, and keeping people in line, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal. And if it doesn't escalate, then we can move along happily. Maybe. ;) (that's a lot of maybe's [face_puke] ;) )

Time will tell, but at least we can all share a Kimballade, and make up in the end. :)

I have no hard feelings towards any of you, and I look forward to doing more events and such in the future. :D

15. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Ok can we all hug and make-up now? [face_principle Skinner]

I'm working on cleaning my posts as well. I have tried to stay with the them while toning it down. If I need to re-edit them, let me know and I will.

I guess we all just get caught up in the fun and before we know it, it's a lil' crazy! :(

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Thanks, Dave. :)

17. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    First off, let me say I DO agree that the board needs to remain "PG"

There are people who post here, and CAN post here under the age of 18.

But, has anyone seen what a PG movie is like nowadays?

If thats the way it is going to be judged, maybe the whole idea of it being PG needs to be re-thought.

I have seen in PG movies in the last year or so..breif nudity, almost any swear word that doesnt start with F and more violence than you could fit in a super star destroyer.
    Im not tryin to cause any trouble, but maybe calling it a PG board isnt the best idea if we cant use todays PG ettiquite.
    JMO

18. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    Just one thing bothers me about this whole mess you Rebels have brewed for yourselves....

You state "If it wasn't said or seen in Star Wars...etc"

You gripe about/edit out stuff about a chain mail bikini top.

Well, I saw something pretty darn close to it in RotJ.

Leia's slave outfit. Not chain mail, but come on...Same thing basically.

There's also Oola?s outfit which was pretty darn see-through. (one her jublies even pops out when she's freakin' out at Jabba, who obviously just gave her an indecent proposal of some kind...)

Plus, there's a sexual innuendo in ESB...
    "Being held by you isn't quite enough to make me tremble." "Sorry, sweetheart. I haven't got time for anything else."

Point is, if you're going to live by this rule, you need to live by this rule, and not just how you choose to interpret it.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Since I don't usually take part in the public flirting/sexual innuendo/yackity-smackity, I'm clean of all charges.

So there! :p

19. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    He said "Since I don't usually take part in the public flirting/sexual innuendo/yackity-smackity, I'm clean of all charges.

but.. but... but.... I SAW you yackity-smackiting!!!

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    There has been much PG/G/PG13 debate all over the admin boards, the two communications forums and other places. You can check it out yourself, if you feel so inclined (not necessarily fun reading, though). [face_plain]

All of you have valid points, and I respect them. :) (even the ones that I don't fully agree with) Like I said before, I don't necessarily agree with all of the views of how this can be interpreted, and I used too heavy of a hand yesterday, which I have apologized for.

But suffice it to say that on these forums, we need to keep things a bit more family friendly. I'm not interested in debating minute details of the law, but would rather that we just all try to keep to the spirit of the law. I simply don't have the time to dig through all fo the old arguments, and issues that have been debated ad nauseum in the various threads on these boards.

How about we all just simply take this as a reminder that we need to be more careful with what we post online here, and remember that there are more people watching than just the people posting. We have new people, potential new members, parents and others coming through these boards, and we need to keep potentially offensive stuff offline, or on another board that isn't viewable by the general public.

I just ask that we all use a little discretion in what we post here. And if we can create a members only forum, well.... then you can police yourselves, without the mandates and policies set forth by TFN. I hope that that is reasonable, and acceptable to all of you. :)

21. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I was on the phone last night with Mistix, whom happens to be a Jr. High School teacher. She knows that age better than anyone since she deals with young teenagers everyday. In one of my earlier posts I said...

The rebuttal to this was every parent has a different set of standards. At Atomic there were parents who would allow their children to buy 'Chaos' comics...(if you have never seen Evil Ernie you wouldn't understand) and the 'Insane Clown Posse' comic. Again some parents were more lackadaisical on what their children read. HOWEVER, and this applies to us all, it only takes one parent or person to be offended by something said to bring the whole thing down.

If Jenny is a Star Wars fan with a crush on Ewan who lives in Phoenix and meets the PFF age requirement to post here, she may think it is all fun and games...HOWEVER, if her mother checks her internet logs and decides to come by this site to see what her daughter is reading and sees something that SHE doesn't agree with...BLAM...we could be shut down. All of us could be banned from posting here. I am not kidding, she could report it to the higher ups and all of the PFF Officers could get in trouble. Heck in this day and age maybe even end up an court being sued.

The Comic Book Legal Defense fund supports shops that have been taken to court over things like this. Parents have sent in 'unknown' shoppers to see if people are carded when buying 'Mature' comic and I am talking about things like Vertigo, not the 18+ comics. People do strange things.

It only takes one person getting offended to bring this entire place down.

Sistine gets down off her soap box and head's over to Duron's.

22. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Well thats a shame if you're right Sistine, because there will always be someone who's offended by something. So much for freedom of speech if thats all it takes to force people to shut up

23. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    Well from everything I have been reading unless it deals with the movies or expanded universe then we need not say it on the boards. So here is what I propose everyone who wants to have fun and be able to talk freely we start a board on Yahoo! or something so we dont have to worry about getting edited for say chainmail or something stupied like that.

24. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    Hey everyone! I haven't read this thread so I don't know what has already been said, but I would like to interject something here.

I just love this group!! I've never met a group of more fun, intelligent, exciting people. I feel so privelaged to know you all and consider the vast majority of you as my friends. I think it's wonderful that we have the chance to be a group together and I would hate to see anything ruin that.

With that said I think it's great that Obey Wann is doing such a great job of trying to keep us up and running. I'm proud of the way he's tried to make sure that none of us looses the chance to be together in this group.

I'm the first to admit that I get a little out of hand sometimes. I don't mean any harm, but this is a public board. I'd like to apologize to everyone for my hand in this. I know that I often cross the line and for that I'm sorry to the extent that it jeopardizes our presence online. I would hate for anything I've said or done to ruin anything for this group. I love having a great time with you all and if that means that some of the content needs to be on another board...so be it. I'm not about to change who I am, but I am willing to keep the PFF safe for everyone.

One of our members has made some attempts to create a board that we can chat about our misadventures on and I think that is fabulous. I hope soon that something like that will happen. Just a place where we can be a little more naughty when we feel like it.

Anyway....I just love you guys and I think we have a great thing going here!!! I'm gonna do my best to keep it that way!

WENCHY HUGS FOR THE PFF!!! You guys ROCK!

25. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Yes, to the Wench you should listen. [face_love]

Thanks, JW. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.