main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Keeping it PG, and the Star Wars Rule

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Obey Wann, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    No prob OH-DUB!

I just want us all to be able to have a good time and keep the PFF running. I would be very sad without my beloved PFF friends to play with!

I JUST LOVE THEM ALL TO PIECES!! HUGS!

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    This place isn't going anywhere. ;) All I asked for is a bit of discretion. I'm glad that JW understands, as hers were the posts that I edited the most.

If she and I can be in agreement and be dealing with this well, can't the rest of you understand and be cool with the course correction, too? ?[face_plain]

3. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    This isn't really about freedom of speech: it's about keeping this public message board appropriate for all ages. While it is impossible to know what will offend someone, or what any given parent thinks is appropriate for their child (believe me, I used to work in a video store where a mother would rent Faces of Death for her 9-year-old and then get upset when that same child saw something with bad language [face_plain]), we all know when we have crossed over into something questionable.

The only issue seems (to me, at least) to be whether this is the place for certain, um mature subject matter? or not. According to the TOS that we agree to everytime we click that "POST" button, it is not. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, just that this is not the place.

I am very pleased that everyone is being mature about this (pun not really intended :D). I, too, [face_love] you guys. It sure makes my workdays (which have been rather stressful lately) a lot more bearable to have a place to play around whenever I get a few minutes. :)

4. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yo Man...I am Kool Mo Dee...
    Just hanging with the chickens and bunnies!

5. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    One other thing,

When Obey Wann said "If it isn't in Star Wars..." he wasn't saying that we can only talk about Star Wars and not what happened at work last night or anything non-star wars. He was talking about concepts...like swearing or gory deaths. If a concept isn't in star wars then it shouldn't be on the boards, that's all. A couple teammates seem to think that he was saying that we should talk about Star Wars only and never anything else on these boards...that wasn't the case, and I just wanted to make sure that was cleared up.

6. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    I also want to say that I'm not taking sides here...I just wanted to do what was asked of me. I don't want to make any enemies here or cause any trouble. I just want to have a good time and play with my friends.

So, I'll be bowing out gracefully now. I love you guys and I'll see you all tomorrow at the meeting.

Kisses!

Wenchy

I'm gonna go have fun in the Tavern now!

7. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    It looks like everybody that was tip-toeing over the line has no problem cooling off a little and try to watch what they post. Enough said. :D

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Excellent clarification, Void. that's exactly it. :D

9. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    To butcher a famous movie quote...
    "They may take away our boards, but they can never take our FRIENDSHIP!"

Anyway, At this point I would like to express a concern about starting a separate forum. That is that if we have a separate forum with the same people and none of the censorship then most people would probably wind up bailing out of here and moving there for the majority of discussion.

10. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    To Obey- [face_plain] You altered the deal. We need to talk. In person.

11. Mara_Jade_AZ

Mara_Jade_AZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    Sistine Thank you! That's exactly what I meant to say in one of my previous posts. You just said it waaay better :)

Not that I always agree or disagree with certain parental objections. Like the lady here in Phoenix who pulled her son from a Pop Warner football team because the coaches drank some beer around the kids at an after event function. Oy! :) But, we do need to watch our P's and Q's.

HEY! We can still have fun, right?! :)

MJA

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Anyway, At this point I would like to express a concern about starting a separate forum. That is that if we have a separate forum with the same people and none of the censorship then most people would probably wind up bailing out of here and moving there for the majority of discussion

Personally, that's my concern as well.

13. army_no_arms

army_no_arms Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    "Yo Man...I am Kool Mo Dee...
    Just hanging with the chickens and bunnies!"

How about hanging with the monkeys?

14. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    Point taken. The only thing is keeping it "PG" what does that really mean? Anything said on this board could be considered not PG..... So we need to set exactly what can be said and what can not be said to settle this debate. I would like this to die down as soon as possible but the whole thing is that "PG" could mean one thing to one person and a whole nother thing to a different person!!!

So how do you we decide what is right and what is wrong? Because without knowing what offends other people we dont know what to say....
    There have been things on this board that people have said and that I have taken offence to that I would consider "non-PG" statements and I have kept my mouth shut because after all they might now have been over "PG" statements to the person(s) writing them or other people.

Just wondering,
    DG

15. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    Has anybody watched the Disney Channel lately? If thats PG than we only crossed the line once or twice.

16. DEICIDE

DEICIDE Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Police or the act of policing = no fun and is completely unnecessary. Unless your a law enforcement employees and last time I checked no one is no money is made here lets all take a step back and look at what this really is its a FAN CLUB nothing more nothing less. No one receives a paycheck or insurance or a 401k plan here for the rolls u assumes. Since it is a fan club why not treat it as such. If it?s no longer fun people will no longer join or come. I don?t think anyone has ever found this board and read what was posted and said OMG how dare these heathens I will not be apart of this group. And if anyone does know of such a person I would like to talk to that person. I understand no one ever wants confrontation or problems. But in the end this is a free forum where Star wars fans that have common interest can come together and hang out and make great friends. No one needs to be told otherwise. It?s a fan club people come on

17. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I don?t think anyone has ever found this board and read what was posted and said OMG how dare these heathens I will not be apart of this group.

I have received PMs and emails from various people saying that this group seems too risque, and they have concerns about showing up/hanging out, etc. It is because of things getting out of hand that I had to step in and [gasp]actually moderate[/gasp]. :eek:

I would not have done this if I had not received concerned messages or comments in person from people in the group, and newer to the group. Usually, I have talked with both the complainee, and later with the person who offended them. Just ask JW --we've talked about this in the past. We did a course correction, and things improved again for a while. (and she was cool with the course correction.)

But this time, I saw a situation, that IMHO was getting slightly out of hand. So I stepped in to do my job as RSA. It was not meant as a personal attack, nor was it meant to insult or publicly humiliate anyone. That was not my intent.

This course correction is not meant to be the fun police, taking all of the life and energy out of this place. Not at all. It's a minor course correction, and a small slap on the hands, asking all of us (myself included) to please keep things more discreet when talking on the public boards. Not everyone's morals are equal here, and what you may find totally OK might offend another member. So we have to be sensitive to that, and keep things discreet, that's all.

Leave it at that, and that's all it has to be. If you make it into a bigger deal, then you're just dragging the issue through the mud unneccessarily. Let's just move on. :)

You can go about your business. Move along.

;) :D

I'll also post a link to the All New FAQ (well, not quite so new) and it might shed a little light on this as well...

18. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    Very well said deicide!

19. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Can't we all just get along? :p

20. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    EDIT:Sorry, must have hit a wrong button. Laptop error [face_blush]

Hope I didn't contribute too much to this. . . I'll behave better anyway. :)

21. Mara_Jade_AZ

Mara_Jade_AZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    Chad you're missing the point. It's not just a free fan board. It's a public open access to children of all ages free fan board. Because of this certain protocols must be established. BELIEVE me I work for Disney and despite them being notorious for their innuendos they are very critical and VERY strict when it comes to what is acceptable and what is not. At Disney we have a rather vague defenition of what is not acceptable simply because there are too many variables to take into account so a blanket "law" if you will must be set into place. In other words, they don't take a chance, but they still make it fun. The only people not making this place fun any more are the ones that are hung up on "Man I'm being policed this place sucks." Pardon me, and I don't mean anything personal against you, but you're the last person I would go to for a measure of morals and ethics. Some of what you consider funny others consdier offensive. You are who you are - who you choose to be. No one says you have to change it. Certain things should simply not be brought to these boards that's all.

Again, I may not agree 100% but I'm not going to sit around and whine because the administration is asking me to post responsibly. My hats off to them for taking the time and the effort and taking fire from everyone who disagrees ESPECIALLY because they don't get paid for this.

I'll get off my soap box now.

MJA

22. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    I like Jimmy Captain Pants.

23. DEICIDE

Jun 25, 2002
    you're the last person I would go to for a measure of morals and ethics.. do not worry i would not offer my morals or ethics so freely. regaurdless of al this pointlessness. i am surrounded and this is over finished gone done out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

24. DEICIDE

Jun 25, 2002
    jimmy pants says hi.

25. RoyalRedCynic

RoyalRedCynic Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2002
    This is probably going to offend everybody that's posting to this board. Not because of the language but because of the way people will take it personally.

First off, I commend OW for doing the policing as he has been doing in the past. It takes a real stand up guy to do so and I'm greatful to know him and support his efforts on this board.
    Next I commend all of those people that recognize that they have stepped over the line and have apollogized for it or PM'ed OW for doing so. It takes a great effort to do that as well. On a side note I don't know who you are and I don't need to know.

Now on to the personal stuff...There are those here in the forum that would complain about what OW is doing. Slapping hands, policing the boards, etc. You all have signed a statement that said that we need to keep this board clean because of the possiblities of minors viewing the material. You agreed to it So quit your complaining. This is not Burger King on this board when it comes to the rules. You either abide to the rules or you submit yourself to the editting factor involved. No ifs, ands, buts about it. End of story.

And if you have problems with this post, then take them up with me, because OW doesn't need to haggle with you, on the boards. He's got enough responsibility on his plate.

Keep up the good work OW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.