main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Keeping Rebel Trust

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Esperanza_Nueva, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    from what we see in the OT it seems that the only person Luke really confides in about Darth Vader being his father is Leia.

But what if between ESB and RotJ news of Luke's father-son tie to the Empire had spread throughout the rebellion? Do you think they would have treated Luke any differently? After all.. that would make him the son of their arch enemy. Do you think they would consider him as much of a hero as before or would they start to shun him? Do you think they still would have trusted him?

2. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    I've always wondered about this too!

I've always thought that Vader could have used it as a weapon against the Rebellion. He could have spread the word that Luke was his son and sewn the seeds of dischord amongst the rebellion. Because though he was a hero of the rebellion, that's a mighty big hurdle to just overlook.

But it makes sense that he didn't say anything about it because he wanted Luke to join him, not further resent him. So maybe he figured Luke would realize he [Vader] didn't say anything and then feel obligated to Vader for not betraying him?

dm

3. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    After the Rebels have amassed on Home One Luke quite rudely, in my opinion, bursts in on the meeting. Soon after the meeting breaks up. Notice that nobody applauds the hero who singlehandedly saved the galaxy from the first Death Star.

However, Leia seemed genuinely surprised to learn about Vader being Luke's father. So, if Leia didn't know then I would have to conclude that nobody else in the rebellion knew either.

But, maybe Leia was feigning surprise at Lukes admission to being the son of the enemy. What if there were rumors that one of your best friends was the son of Bin Laden. You probably wouldn't want to believe it. Maybe the entire rebellion is in a state of denial about Luke's ancestory but they are still disquieted by his very presence.

I have this feeling that Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Nadine and the others just sort of turned around and pretended to really notice something on the floor when Luke burst in like that. Only Chewbacca and Leia really gave him what might be construed as a warm welcome. Then again Chewbacca is practically the family dog.

4. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I always thought that Vader had an agenda for Luke and therefore didn't feel it appropriate to tell anyone, not in the rebellion or the imperials, of his connection with Luke - except the Emporer. I am not saying that people didn't know of their connection though.

5. Rogue-13

Rogue-13 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2003
    Well, we must remember that Luke left the Rebels as a pilot and returned as a Jedi. Most of them would have to feel uncomfortable about that. I mean, most of them never even saw Jedi. I think thats why they were all uneasy around Luke in ROTJ.

6. Darth_Deagol

Dec 22, 2002
    Maybe Palpatine leaked it to one of those sniveling dignataries we see hanging around in RotJ. Then one of the dignataries leaks the info to other high ranking imperials. Before long the rumor spreads down to Rebel intelligence.

So there could have been highly speculative rumors regarding something that nobody really wanted to believe. I don't think that either Luke or Vader would have gone public with this.

Also, Vader did leak the info in ESB. While he was standing on the bridge of his ship and he and Luke are having their telepathic conversation.

Vader: Luke

Luke: Father

Vader: Son.

Anyone on the bridge at the time would have heard only Vader's portion of the conversation. He said "Luke, Son join me." You would think that after Vader was a safe distance away all those imperials would look at one another and ask, "Hey, did he say what I thought he said?"

On yet another note Han was the commanding officer down on the Endor mission. Luke, who was Han's subordinate during that mission chooses to wander off without telling anyone and leaving Han's girlfriend in tears. There were no questions asked when he did this. Han should have been furious. I honestly don't think that Han himself, even after having been rescued by Luke, felt very comfortable around Luke.

They knew.

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think Luke's actions spoke for themself and I doubt there would've been any people that gave him any grief. Han and Luke were friends. There was no reason for Han to question Luke's actions. Han trusted his judgement.

8. Darth_Deagol

Dec 22, 2002
    Luke should have been court marshalled as a deserter and coward. ;)

No not really. Until I read this topic I had never really thought of the possibilty but now that I've had time to think about it I really have to wonder.

For argument's sake, however, why wasn't a Commander of the Rebel Alliance expected to join with the others. The answer is simple: he wasn't wanted.

Does anyone else see any of these things or am I just being neurotic for Luke.

"They know. They know. They hate me. They hate me. What are you looking at me like that for? Leave me alone. I'm going away now I'm gonna go see my dad. Yeah! it is true! So what! He's not a bad man! Really! I have felt it!" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.