main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Keeping Revan vague . . . Is this going too far?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Why must Revan's gender be omitted in published material? Why not specify his gender, say, a male for Bastilan purposes, and make the Exile female for her [face_love] triangle with Disciple and Rand?

You as the player can have fun and do what you will, and when darksiding I most certainly do. It's all fun and games, nothing serious. When it comes to articles and such, just fix it down.

Does it upset you, bother you that as a female your male player is now redundant? Like explaining why and how Dooks died in New Droid Army. It was just a game. When you exhaust his energy bar, just say you defeated him and he runs to burp another day.

Do you feel that in keeping things happy and smooth, some aspects may go too far?

2. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    Yeah, I definitely agree. LFL is a bit overzealous in its all-inclusive continuity policy.

3. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    It has already been established that Revan is male. I believe that was laid down in the KotOR story in Tales #23

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Interesting. Really? Didn't the Databank entry keep the closet vague?

5. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    LFL told Dan Wallace that Revan is officially male, but he kept the gender vague in his NEC manuscript anyway.

6. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Having played through KOTOR many, many times, probably more times female than male, both lightside and darkside, I think that Revan's gender really was meant to be male. It all wraps together so much more seamlessly if Revan were male rather than female. On top of that, I found a face for Revan which looks like I imagine a character with that history and characterists would look (It was also one of the faces on the box) but I haven't been able to say the same thing about a female Revan. Whenever I played as a female, it always seemed as if I was watching the rehersal for a play or television show, where a backup actress has stepped in for the leading lady to help with line reading while the star is off getting her makeup done. I never had that feeling when I played a certain male character.

As for the Exile, he has always been represented as a male, and one with a very distinctive face (he actually kinda looks like me) and the Exile being male beats out a female Exile's love triangle. The male has a love pyramid...much, much better ;) I also can't picture a woman with any self esteem being twisted and manipulated the way Kreia was playing the Exile.

7. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    Was Jaden male or female, I wonder? I always liked her much better as a female human.

8. Wampa_Joe

Wampa_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    I don't really mind. In fact, I sort of like it. It allows your own personal continuity to be true, and there's not many times you can say that.

9. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I don't really mind. In fact, I sort of like it. It allows your own personal continuity to be true, and there's not many times you can say that.

I agree. I like the fact that for me, the way I played it is how it went.

10. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    I really like the ambiguity of Revan. As far as continuity goes, I regard the period as sort of Dark Age in the GFFA; I can see the those events as an obscure,lost part of history. As far as Revan goes, he/she was so enigmatic that no one ever knew his/her true identity.

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    make the Exile female for her triangle with Disciple and Rand?

But then there is no Handmaiden. :(

12. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    "Interesting. Really? Didn't the Databank entry keep the closet vague?"

In response to questions concerning the ommission of Revan from the initial KotOR update, Pablo said that Revan was saved for a future entry, apparently for a time when the character's identity won't be such a problem, I believe.

13. Masterskippy

Masterskippy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    I tend to like the fact that we never know..:p I do prefer the female Revan, mostly to "balance" out that one of the greatest Sith Lords was Vader, was male. And being that Revan was thrown into myth and legend, it makes it more interesting to me...:p

14. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    AAAAARGH, WHAT'S UP WITH THIS REPLY BOX?

That aside, I'm all for keeping Revan and the Exile vague. From my point o' view, this is how Revan looks like and this is who the Exile is.

It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if they chose someone completely different for the looks and all, of course, but I really would like to see my version of Revan/Exile as the version, just like others would have as well.

What I rather liked about the game that were released from Lucasarts in 2003 is that the players were, for the first time, allowed to have a say about the main character. Knights of the Old Republic allowed us to set him/her completely up stat-wise, character-wise and what he/she looked like. Jedi Academy allowed us to customise Jaden Korr, choosing his/her looks once more, choosing the color of the sabers, the handle(such a minor thing, yet something to take a long time to choose the right one), and even later on what kind of saber styles we'd wish to develop further. Star Wars Galaxies, albeit Infinities, allowed us to completely create a character for Star Wars from scratch, and basically let him out in a big sandbox to have fun.

It seemed that, just for once, the fans were allowed to have a minor say in the continuity of the Expanded Universe. I know that it may seem silly, but I simply liked it. We got to choose some important decisions in the Star Wars universe that would shape the fictious galaxy for years to come as the main character in an epic storyline.

After all, it's all fun and games, nothing serious. Nothing to worry about if they keep things vague. [face_mischief]

15. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    I always have:

Revan. Male with shaved head and manchu
    Exile. Male with beard (looks like Ep. II Obi-Wan)
    Jaden. Kel Dor (you can never have enough of them)

16. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Jaden. Kel Dor (you can never have enough of them)

Never liked how the Kel Dor sounded in Jedi Academy. Luckily, there was always the little mod that changed the voices from the Kel Dor, Rodian, and subtly that of the Twi'Lek and Zabrak, to sound more like what they're supposed to portray.

17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  18. Ryan_Kaufman

Ryan_Kaufman DHC Author & Former LucasArts Content Supervisor star 3 VIP

Mar 15, 2005
    Credit where credit is due, Charlemagne.

Aimo is a very, very talented artist, who's done a ton of KOTOR and other SW stuff, as well as her own manga. Check out her website. She's one of the absolute best I've seen.

http://www.aimostudio.com/index2.htm

19. Wes

Wes Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2000
    I recently played JK:JA as a human female and I'm sure that there were several times when I was referred to as a "he". Most of these were by the numerous Dark Force users you face but I'm sure that at one point that Twi'lek dark Jedi referred to me as a man...I had to lay the smack down on the biatch for that!

I played it last week and this week four other people I live with started playing it, they love the dark force powers.

20. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    My choices were

KOTOR: Long Haired Caucasian Male
    KOTOR 2:Long Haired Bearded Male
    JA:Short Brown haired male

However I like the idea of that time being a Dark Age for the GFFA and them not being sure.

21. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I've always thought that Revan was the guy with the huge scar on the left side of his head, right around the ear, and that he had gotten that scar from the injury that almost killed him.

22. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Revan: Asian/Hispanic male with bronze/brown hair pushed up in front
    Exile: Person from all of the art: [image=http://photos1.blogger.com/img/224/1527/640/kotor2_wallpaper2.jpg]
    Jaden: Kel Dor (male or female, doesn't really matter to me. Can't tell under the mask, anyway. We've already had rodian, wookiee, and twi'lek Jedi in the NJO)

23. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    7, all the Kel Dor choices in JA are male.

And I like your choice for the Exile. I don't know why I didn't think that. :oops:

24. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Keep it vague for goodness sake, not *everything* in Star Wars needs to be explained to death for the sake of "continuity".

Just use gender neutral stuff, i.e., "Revan/The Exhile did this, did that, blah blah."

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

According to the trailer, the Exile is male! That's what the Scion-sounding voice says.

Or it could just be his male body in the trailer. Yet his face, a selectable one from KOTOR, wasn't part of TSL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.