main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Keeping the name Skywalker - Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IG-85, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    How many other people named Skywalker have we seen or heard about in the films - IIRC none, except Luke, Anakin and Shmi - which sort of contradicts the notion of Skywalker being all that common a name.

Luke was due to submit his application to the Academy, wasn't he? That should have set all sorts of alarm bells ringing!

Speculation; could Luke keeping his name have been a trap set for Anakin - lure him to Tatooine and confront him with Obi-Wan, either to finish the job he started on Mustafar or maybe turn Anakin back?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In universe, there's been speculation along those lines as well- Corran brings it up in I, Jedi.

3. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    As we learned in ROTJ, neither Kenobi nor Yoda believed Vader could be converted; their intent was always to kill him. And this is where their idiocy comes into play.

Question: If you were grooming Luke to whack his pappy, would you...

A. Change his last name, mold him into a righteous spirit warrior who will kill Vader dispassionately?

B. Retain his last name, thereby preemptively drawing Vader's attention and exposing the boy to a series of mind-screwing and Dark Side temptations?

Yoda and Obi-Wan are the Beavis and Butt-head of the Star Wars galaxy.

4. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    By the way, this how The Empire Strikes Back would have ended if Yoda and Obi-Wan weren't bloody morons.

Luke: "My name is Luke Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Vader: "Stop saying that!"

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Owen had a stepmother named Skywalker who was apparently loved by the family. From Anakin's POV, it shouldn't be shocking to learn that his kid also bears that name. He would likely assume that Owen chose to let the Skywalker name live on to honor the memory of Shmi - which probably also happens to be the case.

I like the notion that it's a trap for Vader - but I doubt that Obi-Wan would do that.

"To Tatooine, to those clueless farmers, send him"
    /LM

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    "the force is strong with this one" The deathstar run is what gave Luke away, once word spread that pilot who destroyed the Deathstar was naked Luke Skywalker plus the gathered intel from the marine troopers who killed the Lars everything added up that Luke had to be Padme's child. Even Lando says "he doesn't want you at all he is after someone named Luke Skywalker" Anakin wanted his son back.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a tie-in book: "The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader"which shows many of the scenes from Vader's point of view. And it's not until the Emperor tells him, that he knows for certain that Luke is his son. Until then, he's still assuming that his child died with Padme, and that the Skywalker name may be coincidence. After all- he doesn't know that "there was no father" as far as I can tell- Luke could have been a distant cousin on Shmi's side of the family.

8. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_laugh]

9. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    for some strange reason Luke Montoya actually works

and with that I'm off to sleep :p