main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 15, 2016.

1. VaderTheGreat

VaderTheGreat Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2017
    hana_solo It is quite sad to see you terming a big issue as 'childish desires'. A lot of people are still uncomfortable about seeing PoC men with white women on screen(especially black man-white women)...and FinnRey pairing would help normalise that issue. All mixed couples on screen are white man -poc woman.

It's no random thing that a lot of people want Rey to either end up with Kylo or alone, which wouldn't have happened if John Boyega played Kylo Ren. Sad to see you're one of those people. At least you admitted that Finn was shown inferior to Rey deliberately. Tariq Nasheed is one of the few people who speak the truth about Finn.

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    VaderTheGreat

We are not talking about a big issue here but someone wanting something to happen just because that would piss off some twitter *****. Movies should not be made to piss off this or that group but to tell a story.

No, it wouldn't normalize anything if the pairing didn't come from the narrative but from pure activism. If they are paired for the sake of PC, everyone will notice it and criticize it for it. Forced diversity doesn't normalize anything. GOTG is a showcase for diversity done right. But if there's no reason to make Rey and Finn a couple, and many don't think that TFA made a case for a romance, forced romance to satisfy a PC requirement won't gain them more fans.

In SW universe, humans are humans and interracial is Hera/Canan (alien/human), not black/white or black/Asian, etc. So such pairing wouldn't be interracial from the universe POV meaning it wouldn't carry the kind of weight it carries in something like Get Out which is entirely built around it, isn't a stunt.

We are not going to agree here because I want a good story and you want activism over a story. I don't see dramatic potential in Rey/Finn romance because TFA never left any room for drama and TLJ is obviously going in a different direction. Those characters were envisioned as color blind and therefore insisting that they get together ONLY because one actor is one race and another is another, even though that obviously wasn't a plan no matter who they cast, is something I can't support. That's not good film-making. Film-makers should pay attention and develop more stories with black/white pairings in mind, but if characters weren't meant to be a couple, they shouldn't become just because it would be PC. Sorry. That's bad film-making that can only turn people off.

This is the last I'm gonna say on this topic.

P.S. They tested white actresses for KMT role too - Tatiana Maslany and Olivia Cooke had chemistry test with Boyega. But I guess KMT blew them away. Again, it's a color blind role.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Thank goodness. So anyways...Can we just agree that either romance is fine as long as Finn isn't emasculated and a damsel, like you claimed he was with Rey? Because those comments got on my nerves a little bit.
    Along with the fact that a Finn/Rey romance is completely off the charts and a stupid PC assumption, but Finn/KMT is absolutely 100% obviously endgame. Your comments left a very bad taste in my mouth, and were, in some cases, rather hypocritical.

But at the end of the day, this is the KMT thread, and I'm glad you've finally said the last of your say on this romance topic. Hopefully this means the rest of us won't have to see the same triggered comments the next time someone mentions the possibility of her NOT being Finn's LI.

4. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    this is gross

you talk about subverting gender roles and then you imply that straight romances must have the man appearing dominant over the woman. it can't be a romance because Rey appears stronger than him, romance is only valid if the woman needs saving and not because she's lonely and craves companionship. Finn isn't of any "use" to Rey so the fact that they adore each other must be irrelevant!

people forget that finn and rey worked TOGETHER to win, they would be dead without each other. but since finn doesn't have a clear advantage, he isn't masculine enough. I hope they don't alter finn's character too much to appear dominant over KMT for romance sake. he was soft and vulnerable but at the same time strong and brave. we need more romances with those types of male characters

5. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I recommend Arrival for a good example of this.

hippie1kenobi and AhsokaSolo like this.
  6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
  7. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    RandomGreyJ
    The only triggered comments here are from fans who want the movie changed to their demands because that annoys 3 people on Twitter, not because it would be a good story. I guess even they know it wouldn't be a compelling romance. Film-makers already know since a) they've made them just friends in TFA, b) put each in a different plot in TLJ and c) have written KMT character in TLJ script while TFA was still in production meaning Rey and Finn were never meant to be a romance (and LF certainly didn't wait to see whether the option becomes popular - it didn't).

Stories and character arcs shouldn't be changed for any fandom demand but now that we are on the subject of activism, ponder this. One activism isn't necessarily compatible with the other. Group A wants Finn/Rey cause black man/white woman aka emphasis on race, Group B doesn't want Rey in any romance cause woman in a romance is an old stereotype aka emphasis on feminism and gender, while group C wants Finn/KMT because Asian actresses don't get to play love interests, so while such role is regressive stereotype for a white actress, it's a step up for an Asian actress aka emphasis on race and gender. Mind you, I'm not a group A or C but I know that fans are excited about these particular prospects that wouldn't be a change to the story since it's going there.

Point is, telling the story you envisioned is the right way, not trying to pander to one or the other group that's certainly going to enrage everyone else and regular viewers will notice that something is forced because it doesn't belong. You obviously think that Rey and Finn "romance" is a "fact" but I assure you it isn't. So maybe instead of "fact" you say "in my opinion" cause Boyega debunked your "fact" in the Variety interview and on Twitter.

BlurryUFOs

Yep, that's right 100%. people forget because the point didn't come across and was forgettable.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's not make this into a "Who should Finn date" thread. Let's not make it into a competition between Finn/Rey and Finn/KMT. Let's get back to discussing the actress and her role in the film.

9. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

Han said "I love you" to Leia during a battle in Endor, Leia make out with Han in Jabba's palace. There's no place romantic, the couple's feelings is more important

EDIT: Just now I saw Darth Chiznuk post, sorry

10. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I get your point but you have to admit that "I love you" and a make-out are much stronger romantic indicators than confessing about being a Storm trooper. You don't need a romantic mood to code a make-out and the L word romantic cause they are by itself. It's stuff that isn't visibly in-yer-face screaming romance that needs mood setting to get the point across. IMO, Rey and Finn didn't get any cause that's not where the story is going and JJ didn't want to send the wrong message.

Darth Chiznuk Sorry as well. Was typing when you posted, didn't see before submitting.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Just to be clear discussing a possible romance between Finn and KMT is perfectly fine. But please let's try to keep KMT the focus of the conversation as it is her thread.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  12. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Understood. :) In less than a month, there will be a big change - we'll learn the character's name, see her in a trailer, so discussion is definitely going to improve.

vncredleader likes this.
  13. LordoftheJawas

LordoftheJawas Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2014
    hana_solo I support everything you just said. Kudos!

Anyway I hope the romance between Finn and KMT isn´t sappy, but funny, kinda like the unrequited love story. I want KMT to have a crush on Finn, but Finn not really be into her. This would setup a bunch a potential funny situations while they work together to fight the FO.

14. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016

Thank you! :)

15. VaderTheGreat

VaderTheGreat Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2017
    As hypocritical as her posts are, hana_solo does have a point unfortunately. If Finn KMT end up together, it will just reinforce the trope that only traditionally masculine guys will get the girl. Since Finn will now be beefed up. Nice guys like TFA Finn don't.

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Please refrain from the personal attacks.

17. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

I doubt beefing up will make Finn any less of a nice guy.

Revanfan1, Howard Hand and What Girl like this.
  18. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Right, being muscular does not mean Finn will suddenly be kicking sand in other guys' faces at the beach. Come on.

19. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    The infiltration mission is buff Finn stuffing stormtroopers in lockers and giving them wedgies.

CEB, Krueger, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Remember guys, KMT, thread.

Stay on target.

21. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Lia do Bairro‏ @Sorriso_gotik Mar 15
    @rianjohnson I'm excited to see Kelly Marie Tran in TLJ, I'm sure she will be fantastic! [Rian liked]

Anyway, looking at the footage
    "Finn dressed as a First Order Officer on the bridge of a First Order ship. Actress Kelly Marie Tran was standing to Finn’s left, also dressed in a First Order uniform."

Maybe it will happen after the space horse?

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    To cerealbox you listen.

vncredleader and Artoo-Dion like this.
  23. Korr Sella

Korr Sella Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2016

Or before, maybe KMT is a First Order officer Finn convinces to defect.

dragonchic and vncredleader like this.
  24. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Or perhaps she was merely observing heterosexual romance the way it is normally presented on screen.

Just saying:D

That said I would be surprised if Finn turned into a complete jerk overnight, he seems like a very well meaning dude in TFA.

25. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I love Han/Leia but we're not in 1980 anymore, they can show a LGBT romance (or show that some characters are bi/gay). The new power rangers movie has a bisexual (apparently the yellow ranger)

Mostly Handless and Gigoran Monk like this.