main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    In no way shape or form will this change anything for EP. IX regarding her character. Lucasfilm would come out and flat out tell online bullies to go stuff it before anything would be changed in the next movie due to online bullying.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Star Wars fandom has always been toxic. The only reason it is standing out more now is because we have easy to use platforms now that we didn't have during the previous trilogies.

Anytime you have something that fans wrap their whole lives around there is going to be a whole lot of complaining whenever it doesn't go the way the fan wants it to.

This type of fan behavior goes on in sports all the time.

3. Porkins2099

Porkins2099 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2016
    Domhnall Gleeson isn't confirmed either, but it's a certainty that he'll return given his important role in the FO. It's a matter of time before he and Kelly Marie Tran are confirmed. How long her role will be, that's a good question for another time.

Revanfan1, cerealbox and Bor Gullet like this.
  4. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Probably. But they will have to do something really special to redeem Hux as a character at this point. I was horrified at how he was betrayed in TLJ, the only good thing he was allowed to do was that snarky smile to Kylo after his interview with Snoke.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Abrams really has a task on his hands with some of these characters.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I like his position now as the Starscream to Kylo's Megatron.

7. Scavver

Scavver Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 15, 2018
    I have no doubts Rose will be in IX, but I wouldn't be surprised if IX focuses the forgotten trio of TFA that people expected to see.

Jo Lucas and eko32eko7 like this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Rey Finn and Poe.

9. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    Yes! I think many of us wanted to see them together since TFA marketed them that way. It's way overdo, but I would hope Rose can be part of that group too.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Jo Lucas likes this.
  10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes me too. My only hope is they find a way for Finn and Rose to have proper character arcs in IX. Finn was sorely wasted.

Scavver likes this.
  11. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    Same. I hope JJ keeps their partnership and expands on it, making their roles bigger and more connected to the main plot. Seeing Rose and Rey together would be great too! We saw Poe and Finn, Finn and Rey and Finn and Rose, now I think it would be cool to see Rey and Poe and Rey and Rose.

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah I missed Finn's and Poe's camaraderie they had in TFA.

13. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    the ST has that different dynamics from the OT. It's not so much a trio of hero than three different main characters crossing paths, but all being part of the main narrative -a bit like GoT-. Depends on what JJ wants to do with them in IX of course, especially since finn and rey are reunited and poe is now with them too...so who knows? but the trio dynamic of the OT is not what defines these movies so far so anything is possible.

As for Rose i'm sure she'll be part of IX, but her importance and screentime depends on JJs story ideas for the character, if any.

IMO a bit of Rey/Finn/Poe/Rose team adventures at some point would be cool but im not sure the story leads to that..

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  14. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    They could pull it off like they did in ROTJ. We could have Finn and Rose in Han and Leia's role like on Endor, with Rey dealing with Kylo and Poe battling in space like Lando. Hopefully not exactly the same though. I'd actually like to see Rose and Poe in a space battle with Rey and Finn facing Kylo.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's an interesting idea. Evoke ROTJ's beats without making it follow them too closely.

Scavver likes this.
  16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Forgotten? They were separated, as was Luke being separated from Han and Leia in TESB. And Anakin and Padme from Obi-Wan in AOTC. You are familiar with Joseph Campbell and his influence on Lucas?

RJ separates all 3, a variation on the theme.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  17. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    Not forgotten to me, but a lot of people felt TFA was marketed falsely.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Luke was separated from Han and Leia for part of ESB, not the entire movie. Same with Anakin/Padme and Obi. The OT3 were together in Act I, and then Luke and Leia were reunited at the end. They were also motivated by each other. Anakin was with Obi at the beginning of AotC. Anakin, Padme and Obi fought together in Act III. Anakin and Padme were motivated to save Obi in Act III after they spent some time discussing Anakin and Obi's relationship.

Contrast that with TLJ. Rey saw Finn for a second. They didn't exchange any dialogue. Rey only brought up Finn to a character that she couldn't engage in thoughtful dialogue with because the audience doesn't understand him. She didn't go to the FO for Finn. She wasn't motivated by him. Finn's arc was all about learning how it's selfish to be motivated by Rey. Poe and Rey didn't meet until the very end of the movie in an extremely awkward scene after never meeting in TFA. This trilogy has extreme ground to cover to show the ST heroes as bonded in a significant way with their relationships as the core of the franchise. I don't know what JJ will do with Rose, I hope she becomes number 4 and this movie is about our four heroes and their bond. Still, JJ has to make up for the last movie and TFA, especially where Poe and Rose fit in with Rey, for this to have any emotional resonance. This trilogy does not right now have a set of heroes that fight for each other in a way that is celebrated by the story. If anything, this trilogy has been about how wrong Rey and Finn's bond is, and that's the only bond that has been played up bewteen the characters in any meaningful way (despite their literally zero dialogue in TLJ).

19. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    How so? I loved TFA, not I felt Poe was underutilized. But then he was supposed to die in the first JJ-LK draft and I’m the released version his status is uncertain until we see him much later, so not much screen time for him.

As I said, variation of a theme. The OT and PT aren’t dogma.

20. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    I loved TFA too, but before it came out they had the trio going around to press events, photos together, and people ran with it and expected to see them meet up and go on a big adventure like Luke, Han and Leia in ANH.

21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS LUCASFILM Behind The Scenes Pics!

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I never really had a problem with how they were separated. Sure I'd prefer them to be together at least for IX, but IMO they weren't forgotten necessarily. I mean, throughout TLJ Rey and Finn both were constantly asking about and thinking about eachother. IMO their missing eachother during that separation only made their reunion at the end that much more moving for that very reason...By that point I was so happy to see their happiness at being reunited.

Poe to me, is kind of in a league on his own. He has responsibilities to the Resistance the other two don't have-and lots of people look to him. So Poe to Rey and Finn to me its kind of like the relationship a beloved boss has with his employees. Loves them, but has lots of his own things to take care of-rather than go off on risky adventures and journeys of discovery with them. So I'm okay if he doesn't spend the majority of IX with them.

As for Rose, I'd be okay if she's part of that group-but she better be nicer to Finn. I don't want to see 2 more hours of condescending "you're so ignorant" and "you're doing this all wrong" type of 'tude at Finn from her. Get rid of that, and I say 'welcome her to the fold,' but I don't want to see any love triangle crap with her, Finn and Rey. Anyone watching TLJ with their eyes open could see that Finn clearly does not feel that way about her.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    They kissed so yep. It would be almost considered a plot hole if Ep IX did not feature a romance.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I wouldn't. When she kissed Finn he was just like WTF. There was no indication Finn actually was attracted to Rose in a romantic way.

25. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Finn was surprised but that doesn't mean Rose's feelings are unrequited. I believe the filmmakers tried to set up something mutual, not one-sided. I rewatched the film a few weeks ago and the scene that has Finn and Rose riding a horse together on the beach in the moonlight is pretty clearly meant as romantic despite the circumstances, imo.

Luke'sSeveredHand and oncafar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.