main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its not about the asian market its more about the oversensitivity to the use of race and gender these days.

2. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    I think right now seriously with the drop off with the TLJ numbers the abyssmal showing of solo Disney won't hesitate to do anything it can to turn those figures around.

3. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Killing rose certainly wouldn't be a good way of changing that. if anything it would just create some silly controversial stuff

4. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    There are too many different race points that have more main stream media relevancy than the character rose it depends on the particular community and i think right now fans and disney all both want a better story movie and film to be made... killing rose at the start wouldn't be a colossal big deal it terms of outcry and backlash the character rose isn't that significant in the larger story in terms of the film itself or the political arena

5. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    You probably would be surprised by the backlash that would occur.

Yes a percentage of fans may be happy but the overall controversial view of it will be... oh you are killing off the only asian character in the saga films at the start of the movie?, did you even try and give her a role or did you just mess up in TLJ and waste the asian character and are now trying to cover up the mistake? well that looks good on you Disney and Lucasfilm.

Yeah maybe people are over sensitive now days but you can bet that would be a thing and it wouldn't reflect well on the movie at all.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    godisawesome likes this.
  6. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Another view is what Kelly Marie tran says right here and adds to the whole race thing

From variety.com
    Thats a very sensitive area right there.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...rs-last-jedi-rian-johnson-20171217-story.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/ starwarsspeculation/comments/5h53rn/casting_star_wars_on_felicity_jones_kelly_marie/

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    But what would the point be?

Why fridge Rose at that point? Makes no sense story wise and public relations wise.

The start of the film will already most likely have Leia's death looming.

And if you kill Rose, then Finn's whole character arc is him being mopey for the rest of the film.

No thanks.

Besides, the main cast is already dialed down to 6 people anyway (kylo, Poe, Rey, Hux, Finn, Rose) not counting Chewie, the droids and ghost Luke.

That's on par with RotS (Anakin, Obi Wan, Padme, Mace, Yoda and Palpatine).

And less people than in RotJ (Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Lando, Yoda, the Emperor)

9. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The first article just says that Rose’s casting was race-neutral. The second is of completely unknown reliability, and just says that KK preferred another actress at first, not that she tried to overrule Rian.

10. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Well “fans” have now chased her off of social media. People are going way too far, I am not that thrilled with the films either, but harassing those who are a part of the films is not the way to go.

Avnar likes this.
  11. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Some of these "fans" really need psychological help. Or a brick to the face.

Kurenai24, Avnar, Darth Smurf and 4 others like this.
  12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It's okay to punch Nazis.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    godisawesome likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    this is god awful. these negative people need to go straight to hell.

14. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    Sadly, some of the fanbase has a history of this (look no further than Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen). Crazy how some people can't separate real from fiction, especially when actors have little control on set/the ultimate outcome of a film. I wasn't a fan of TLJ or the Rose character, but I will never understand personally attacking an actor.

wobbits likes this.
  15. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    "Fans" going off on actors for simply doing their job are so stupid... Poor Kelly. She seemed so excited about being in SW.

16. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Poor Kelly. I feel for her.

If "fans" can run Pablo and Daisy off social media then I guess it was only a matter of time. This really sucks.

17. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    This latest wake-up call with Kelly Marie Tran is my last straw -- I'm 100% done treating the "Don't call us bigots!" crowd seriously. I've tried to be patient and understanding...but now I'm done.

1) This whole idea that Disney/Lucasfilm is calling everyone who dislikes TLJ a racist/misogynist is ridiculous. First of all, no they're not. Disney/Lucasfilm has released zero official statements on the matter. As for individuals connected with SW, they're always qualifying their informal statements to refer specifically to the actual bigots, not dissenters with legit gripes. Enough with the persecution complex, folks.

2) The much bigger problem is the undeniably HUGE contingent of racists and misogynists that comprise the TLJ/SW hate crowd. Where's the equal opportunity outrage from the so-called "good" fans who simply don't like the new movies? Oh right. They don't care...and many of them secretly agree with the bigots. If your biggest concern in the face of bigotry isn't fighting said hate but rather possibly being considered a bigot by people you don't even know...then you need to do some soul-searching and ask why that is.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  18. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Basically if you get involved with Star wars you best not expect instant love for it. just as much chance as Fans harassing you.

19. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    It's awful that this happened to her, I'm really sick of these juvenile harassment campaigns.

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I hope Rose is the new main character now. Screw the people that treated her like crap!

Jim Ryalto likes this.
  21. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
  22. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    I will be extremely blunt, I would be delighted to see the shape of people calling this actress ''fat''.

23. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    What's the point harassing Actors that end up making the franchise so toxic, that securing great talent in front of the camera becomes impossible? If you were an up and coming talent in Hollywood, would you risk your future on Star Wars? It's ok not to like art, it's another thing to harass its creator or their subjects.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Has Kelly even signed up for Episode 9? The way this awfullness is going she might never. Which is a shame because as much as I wasn't impressed
    with what they gave her to do, I'd still like to see if they can find some interesting angle to finish up her arc.

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    And just when I thought things couldn't get any worse we have these folks. Lowest of the rung. I have absolutely no respect for them or their opinions.

Kelly doesn't deserve that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.