main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 15, 2016.

1. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    What makes the marketing terrible?

2. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    Anyone not in the main 3 just seem to be wholly irrelevant, you'd almost be surprised they were in the movie, I guess I'll wait for the trailer to see. But I thought Lucasfilm would have more promo for new characters they claim are incredibly important, like Rose.

Blueandwhite and 11-4D like this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    She deserves to be there. Even as a little blob.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Hux wasn't even on the TFA poster. And DJ and Holdo aren't even on there.

Mostly Handless and graw44 like this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    how many people should be on a poster? 75?

6. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    Its so weird to me having an actor come out and do press and talk about their character for what was said to be a new interesting addition to the cast and not show them in any capacity outside of a few images.

11-4D and What Girl like this.
  7. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    We saw more Porg than Rose.

Hell, I even saw Kaydel Connix (Billie Lourd) behind Poe when he's talking.

8. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015

Maybe they're doing a reverse Phasma, where instead of hyping her up to do literally NOTHING, they keep her hidden so she's a great surprise

9. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    No Rose or Canto Bight. [face_dunno]

cerealbox likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The trailer seemed overwhelmingly focused on The Force side of things. Finn only got two quick scenes and no dialogue, and Poe got like one line. And there was no Holdo, DJ, Hux, etc.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  11. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Rian said Rose was the new female lead, so it's weird why she isn't in the trailer

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Like I said, because like 98% of it was focused on the Luke/Rey/Kylo/Snoke stuff. Heck even Leia's role in the trailer tied into that.

Mostly Handless and La Calavera like this.
  13. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    The more I see from this film, the more I suspect that Rose is going to meet a somewhat grisly end, probably by way of Phasma, her death will be one of the catalysts for the Finn vs Phasma duel in the trailer. IMO that's why the character has not been hugely hyped in the marketing.
    [​IMG]

Strongbow and 11-4D like this.
  14. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I hadn't considered it before, but now that I think about it, Rose dying does sound very likely indeed. Any potential romance clearly isn't on the Han/Leia level so honestly what other purpose can she serve given that she's coming in as a minor role in the second film? Having her be a one-shot character who dies and inspires vengeance/justice in Finn makes sense, and clears the way for the Finn/Rey relationship to regain focus in IX.

Sorry Rose.

Brennan Marshall likes this.
  15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Makes more sense for the FO capturing and torturing Rose, which is why Finn is angrily being lead by them down the corridor. He's got no choice or Rose dies.

I'm mean we've seen BTS reel of Rose standing next to the Falcon. And art showing Rose flying one of the Crait speeders. But who knows, you could be right because of the film's final edit.

16. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Yikes, first KMT (first lead woc) is a double agent, now she dies lol. Boy would that suck. I figure the reason she isn't in those scenes is because 1. like cerealbox said, she's maybe off in a cell or being tortured, or 2. she's already in whatever room they're leading them to for execution, or 3. She shows up with other Resistance forces after the explosives go off.

Troopa212, afrojedi and cerealbox like this.
  17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I was really excited for this new character, but I gotta say, LF and RJ's obvious lack of enthusiasm for this story has killed it in me. I feel like I'd be shocked if she gets more than 15 minutes of screen time (15 minutes is being generous because of how long the run time is).

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  19. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Maybe Finn allows himself to get captured as a distraction while Rose is planting the bombs and she sets off explosives just as Finn is about to be executed by the executioner trooper or Phasma and this leads in into Finn vs Phasma with the fire and debris in the background.

11-4D likes this.
  20. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    Her absence in the trailer reasserts the idea that her character is minor, which I hope is not true, but the emphasis of TLJ marketing is undeniable:

Have force powers or go home.

Troopa212 and AhsokaSolo like this.
  21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Every character can't be super prominent. We have a huge cast of characters as it is. Even if Rose won't have a lot of screen time, she'll surely do something worthwhile.

22. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013

I'm definitely beginning to think her role is to permanently fire Finn up and give him motivation through her death.

The line from TFA (that was unfortunately cut) - "I've got nothing to fight for". Rose dying would give him something to fight for and I feel like that is ultimately the arc with Finn, to give him a meaning and a cause. Rose is a way to make that happen.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We have a pic of her with the Falcon so I definitely think she survives the infiltration mission since Crait would be the earliest she could be in the same location as the Falcon.

24. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    that look on finn's face is... dark. and i like it because it feels more real about how i could imagine a disillusioned former storm trooper feeling about the FO.

Revanfan1 and cerealbox like this.
  25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    It's possible. Finn would know that traitor executions are a "all hands on deck" sort of thing in the large ship hanger. Thereby giving Rose and the others a chance to finish the bombs.