main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 15, 2016.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I have to assume some were asking this same question about the addition of Lando following TESB to be honest, for similar reasons, and he became part of the Star Wars family in the end. Reserving judgment until the end of IX seems reasonable.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Akane and La Calavera like this.
  3. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    @Ender_and_Bean : I really hope she did, we really need to see her in another role ASAP.
    KMT is receiving a lot of unfair flak due to Rose's poor writing. Hopefully she'll get better roles to be remembered for, and make us forget about Rose.

Vialco, 11-4D, Rickleo123 and 3 others like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    The character of Rose Tico is a terrific new addition to Star Wars. She's warm, caring, loyal, smart, funny, quick-witted, brave and has an interesting backstory.

I haven't seen a compelling argument about why she's a bad character that isn't steeped in resentment related to Finn's role or screentime, or some notion that the last thing the story needed was another new character at this juncture, or dog whistle comments about her role as a person of color in Star Wars. None of which negates anything I said in those first two sentences.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Her "save the person you love while simultaneously letting everyone else you love get shot with a giant death laser" logic is not my favorite thing but it goes with her having a big heart and those things lead us all to occasional daft decision making so she's solid.

6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I feel like her saving Finn at the end might make sense if it also has something to do with her sister who she cannot save. She latches onto Finn while grieving her sister.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I realize that cool counts for a lot and nostalgia even more perhaps than that -- and I suspect that following the Solo standalone he'll seem even cooler than he already does -- but I sort of see Rose joining the cast at this juncture as roughly similar to Lando joining the cast when he did in the story. Believe it or not but I'm not even thinking about diversity in casting or anything along those lines when I say this either. I'm talking strictly about the addition of a new significant character who is joining the crew and seems likely to be here for the long haul the way Lando was and who some fans may think are taking valuable storytelling functionality from the 1B (Han/Finn) they liked most in the first film alongside the 1A (Luke/Rey).

Will Rose Tico get the episode IX equivalent of a moment this big? We shall have to see.

Interestingly, Lando had 9 minutes and 15 seconds in TESB. Despite hyperbole to the contrary Rose has only 2 minutes and 45 seconds more than that in The Last Jedi.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Then again, her sister sacrificed herself so that the Resistance may continue the fight so Rose then proceeding to doom the Resistance after talking down to Finn about being a deserter is pretty ridiculous.

Rhyoth likes this.
  9. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    She didn't really doom the Resistance. Poe ordered them all to fall back and not do the suicide run.

But I think there would be cognitive dissonance in Rose between the cause and her sister because her sister is the most important person to her in the world, and now she's dead. Rose is still processing this (since it only just happened). Sometimes when people hold two conflicting views or feelings at the same time they just drop one so as not to experience the dissonance. But the other one might re-emerge in less conscious ways. Rose has her priorities in a rational sense, but the emotional parts of her would want to save her sister. This entire conflict with her and Finn is interesting in that Rey is for Finn what Paige is for Rose (in a way). I wouldn't expect Rose to be 100% consistent with this because the emotional weight of losing her sister would be overwhelming.

So Rose might double-down on cause > individual personal bonds in response to her sister's death (which she does when stopping Finn from deserting), but she's grieving throughout the entire movie whether it's obvious or not, and the side that wants her sister back, that clings for some hope that she's not really gone, may come back around and be projected on Finn at the end.

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Finn was under direct order to pull back and his ship was rapidly deteriorating. Those no guarantee that had he continued there would have been any impact to the FO's assault effort beyond giving them a story to tell about how one guy flew into the Death Star tech like a mosquito going into a zapper.

Rose did her best to save the lives of her limited crew following the order to not engage the enemy and saved one of the people who, after episode IX, may be looked on as one of the key people who helped defeat the FO.

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    An uncertainty that he would damage the cannon is far better than the complete certainty that the First Order would largely decimate the Resistance if they were drawn into combat after the door was breached.

Yeah, she did a great job with that by saving one man at the expense of the entire Resistance. What a hero.

12. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Did the novel specify whether or not his run would've worked? If not I feel like we shouldn't pass too much judgment on him considering he spends the whole movie being judged by her. It's possibly Rose could've actually made the bad call.

Maybe IX should show her learning to care more rationally about the Resistance and not being so attached to one person (like a similar person had to go through).

13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Finn could be wrong or right, and I wouldn't judge him for it.

14. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I’m still trying to figure out how all those AT-ATs couldn’t shoot down Finn or Rose during the suicide run. They were wasting ski speeders left and right. Then Finn got his sacrifice moment - no enemy fire. Then Rose somehow doubles back and covers more ground in less time while also not taking enemy fire and manages to ram Finn and not kill them both. Only for her new concussion to make her kiss Finn while essentially everyone else inside could’ve died. And still no enemy fire.

15. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    It wouldn't have worked. It wouldn't have even come close to working. Rose made the right call.

16. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Yeah. Finn's stabilizer (pole that digs in to Craits surface) and his ships guns were melted off.

He was caught in the cannon's pre-firing drag (which is why Rose was able to catch up to him).

Finn was barely going to make a scratch in that thing.

17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Do you think Poe and everyone who followed his orders to abandon the plan were all cowards?

Or, is it perhaps a good thing that Poe’s order occurred and that many of those heroes, including Finn, will be there for episode IX and play big roles in the actual defeat of the FO?

18. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Maybe he learned that he forgot the objective of evacuating the base and lost so many honourable pilots (including Rose's sister). He learned that it was pointless to do that again.

I wish we saw more of Rose's sister. She seemed awesome. I personally preferred seeing her character in the opening than Rey. I also preferred Rose to Rey frankly. Rose seemed more humble. She owes Finn for not mentioning his attempted desertion. I feel like Finn was about to defect to the Hutts next. It seems that's what Finn does. He defects constantly.

As for Rose, I actually like her character. It's a shame though overall the characters aren't fitting into one story. And perhaps we being introduced to these in TFA so they have room to grow. For one, I liked how Rose had flaws, and learned etc. We shall see. We shall see.

Rose was great. Would have been cooler though had her sister been a bigger part of it. And their necklace meant something Force related to the Jedi. The music seemed to suggest it.

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    That deleted scene was little rough.. Not bad though imo..

Seriously though. They gonna show us all the deleted scenes before the home release?

20. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Fair enough. The distinguishing point (at least for me) between her and Lando though is that his role in TESB is dynamic and interesting. His arc goes from double-crossing his old friend to redemption and heroics. By contrast, Rose teaches Finn about inequality and struggle. They don't compare at this point (comparisons to Billy Dee Williams set the bar far too high). We'll see what happens.

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Funny how the movie never tells us that, nor is that part of Rose's stated reasoning. It's almost like that fans once again making up stuff in their heads to try and cover up the holes in the movie's story, because Rian didn't bother to.

Solo88 likes this.
  22. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I don't think she's a bad character but I found her too preachy at times. That is to say, she was lecturing Finn (and the audience) rather than conversing with him. The dialogue sometimes felt heavy and clunky to me. She does have positive traits and I wanted to like her more than I did.

23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    You could make the argument that the audience was supposed to infer this from what was shown on screen. It clearly wasn't looking good for Finn in that moment, and it wasn't clear (to me) that he'd reach the weapon in time to do any damage. Mad Max: Fury Road does a better job at this type of Visual Story telling than TLJ but I'd say it's the same kind of thing.

24. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    I was fascinated to learn that Fury Road didn't really have a script - they just storyboarded the whole thing. I think that's partly why it's visual storytelling is so strong, because it never really existed in any other form where they had to translate language into shots.

25. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    People keep saying book Rose is this toxic presence who is jealous if Rey, but so far in the book I don't think that's what's going on. Finn is constantly voicing how he is thinking about Rey, but the person Rose is constantly thinking about is Paige. She talks to Paige in her thoughts as they go through the Canto Bight mission. She thinks about what Paige would think of all of this, and what she would say about Finn.

I think that a lot of Rose's irritation with Finn is about how she lost Paige. Because she is criticizing him for something she is doing.

Book Rose is also a person with a somewhat irritable temperament.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018