main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 15, 2016.

1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I was going off the movie. I haven't read the novel. If the novel states they did target civilians, they're terrorists. But "suggest...wikking" doesn't m we an the same thing.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even in Rogue One, a point is made of how Saw is an "extremist".

It was Saw, who made it so much easier for the Empire to paint the Rebellion as a whole, as terrorists:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Partisans

Regarding the news article - it's an interesting question, as to when cyberbullying becomes cyberterrorism. When the goal is to "change things" and the method involves terrorising people into submission, then the cyberbully can be called a cyberterrorist.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, extremists aren't necessarily terrorists, but this is Imperial propaganda, as you noted. The link to wiki says Saw and his group do target civilians, but wiki isn't canon. It isn't clear if targeting civilians is from a canonical source. Civilian deaths are mentioned, but were they targeted?

And it appears you're equivocating on 'terrorizing'. Were forced or violence used?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Terrorism still comes with the use of violence and intentions to instill terror attached to the meaning.

I don’t know what happened to her, but if the bullies threatened her personal safety with violence and other terror tactics, and made her genuinely feel afraid for her life or well-being, I think that would definitely qualify as cyber-terrorism.

Cyber-bullying in itself is not necessarily terrorism, though when gone to extreme levels it can become that (in which the attackers find out the home address and literally terrorize the person in question).

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no problem calling a coordinated cyberattack, including threats of violence or wishes for violent acts to happen, with the intention of frightening someone away from social media and maybe away from acting in future Star Wars movies, an act of cyber terrorism.

I think we can distinguish different kinds of terrorism, with cyber terrorism being different from physical terrorism.

6. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Here are various definitions. Wiki discusses broad and narrow versions. Frightening an individual with violence doesn't appear to be covered by any definition.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cyberterrorism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberterrorism

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cyberterrorism

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/cyberterrorism

7. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Rose had one of the best lines in a pretty fine movie...... paraphrasing, "We're not going to win by killing what we hate, but by saving what we love." The only way the Resistance is going to succeed without turning into the First Order itself, is to always remember what they're fighting for.

8. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Maybe this is a silly question, but what is the Resistance fighting for now and how will they win exactly? I thought it seemed from the opening text crawl in TFA that the Resistance was formed for the purpose of rebelling against the First Order mainly because the New Republic wasn't taking it seriously enough as a threat to the galaxy. And they continued to not take the FO seriously until they got literally wiped from existence by the Starkiller superweapon. Now the Resistance is not only without the backing of the Republic, but they too had their numbers severely culled and I don't see how they can serve as a physical force against the FO which is still extremely powerful despite the murder/replacement of their supreme leader. It looks like the Resistance, or what remains of it, can do almost nothing now in terms of open combat but must instead focus on saving what they love. It seems sort of impossible for them to defeat the FO at this point without having someone in a really powerful position in the Order itself turn against it and bring it down from within.

Christus Regnet likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a campaign against a company (Lucasfilm) waged via targeting individuals working with the company. Just as ecoterrorism can involve the targeting of companies rather than governments.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the Oxford and Cambridge definitions cover what is happening very well, as the trolls are using information technology for politically-motivated reasons to instill terror, and KMT is not their only target. The end goal does not have to be destruction of a government.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Halfway through TLJ, the Resistance was rebranded the "Rebellion", again. Their purpose is now the purpose of the original Alliance since part of the point was to reset things back to OT status quo a bit. The evil Empire with a Dark Sider on the throne is in power and the tiny "Rebellion" with their one novice Jedi is in place to overthrow them.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I like the idea of Lando hearing Leia's message and arriving in Episode 9 with a recruited fleet, led by Wedge Antilles. This would reinforce Rose's optimism.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  13. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    And he could bring some YVH droids

14. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017
    The expansion of tribalism in the U.S. explains some of these growing issues. Tribe über alles is the name of the game these days, I hate it and wish I could stop it.

ShaneP likes this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Agreed. Everyone retreats to their own narrative bubbles.

16. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    There’s definitely been an increase in identity politics in the last 15 years. Identity politics has always been a thing in America, but it has gone through waxing and waning periods, and right now it’s waxing. I think it’s time to accept that it hasn’t been healthy for this country.

Admiral Keller likes this.
  17. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    We still don't know what happened and now this has been upgraded to a coordinated cyber attack?

This getting a bit out there.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    People are calling it a coordinated cyber attack because a hate group has claimed responsibility for - you guessed it - coordinating a cyber attack against her.
    It's really not that out there these days, unfortunately - such things happen all too often.

19. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Glad you enjoyed that line. The timing of that line and the scene literally made me want to rip my hair out not to mention the awkward kiss afterward. Not blaming KMT but her entire relationship with Finn and the way he regressed in the movie and how she talked to him drove me nuts. I would have much rather spent time with her Sister Paige than Rose because I just didn't like her character maybe it's because of the way she and Finn were used. I do think she has potential but TLJ did not make me want to see any more of her.

3sm1r and DominusNovus like this.
  20. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Jake Lloyd certainly went through a nightmare, everything from hatemail and death threats, to bullying at school, to being stalked by sexual predators. I don't have a source, but I remember hearing something about his mother having to hold a press conference, or making a press release asking people to stop.

21. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Really? A line from a movie made you want to literally rip your hair out? Ok.

By the way what made Paige so much more interesting? I've seen this a few times but nobody really provides further support. If there was no Rose and it was Paige doing the same things in place of her why would it be more acceptable?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  22. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I can see why people dislike the "saving what we love" moment, while it sends out a strong massage but is also a bit heavy handed and not completely logical.
    I never really got what people dislike so much about the rest of her scenes during the film though ...

23. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The character seemed much more sure of herself and willing to die for a cause well as Rose was different. If Paige was doing the same things as Rose I don't think I would have liked her much either. and that line at that specific point in the movie made me groan because it directly contradicted Holdo's sacrifice where she sacrificed herself to save the escaping ships the timing of it was just awful and to me felt ridiculous. Finn was sacrificing himself to save his friends. The line could have worked but Finn and Rose had 0 chemistry and it wasn't placed in the right part of the movie.

The rest of her scenes I didn't like were because of the story and Finn felt like he was written to serve her character and regressed to being the guy that we saw running away in Maz Kanata's bar at the start of the film only to have Rose talk down to him for most of the movie while they both accomplish nothing. The pairing did not work nor did their storyline IMO as an overall part of the movie.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  24. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I think maybe we shouldn’t take ‘literally’ too literally.

Blame_It_On_Lucas likes this.
  25. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I have no idea what that line is supposed to mean. Someone should start a thread where a black hole debate can begin, and figure it out.