main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 15, 2016.

1. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually think Rose is in the right for zapping Finn and not letting him go after Rey? She's basically like the nerdy high school monitor.

2. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    technically, she's totally right, Finn was in dereliction of duty and was about to take off with Resistance resources. Now if Finn was technically a member of the Resistance is some matter of debate but he was involved in planning and executing the assault on Starkiller so I'm going with yes, he was.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  4. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    So he basically shows up, helps them blow up Starkiller Station, gets knocked unconscious, wakes up, and is somehow beholden to the Resistance? Ok.

QUIGONMIKE and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hey, he went on an official Resistance mission, that makes him a Resistance member subject to dereliction of duty. And even has Poe's jacket! And they used resources on him to heal him!

6. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    So...they didn't let him die after he risked his life to be the ONE stormtrooper to defect from the FO, freed their star pilot, brought back their crucial droid, gave them information they needed that only HE had, volunteered for the mission that allowed them to make their attack, protected the very powerful force user Rey, and was gravely injured do to it...

All Finn had to do was not do anything at the beginning of TFA and the Resistance and Rey would've been kaput. And he owes them because they didn't let him die for it?

I'm not saying Finn was 100% in the right but a lot of blame just goes on Finn like he's some terrible coward or traitor for not wanting to pledge himself to another army right after spending 2 decades being brainwashed to be apart of another one.

It's only ironic because TLJ showed that the Resistance would've been better off had Finn not been made to stick around and go on that mission...

EDIT: and now im a hypocrite for extending the topic that's going to derail the kmt thread yet again. i've become the very thing i vowed to destroy

7. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    RJ didn't think these plot points out very well. He just went with the idea that conflict is good drama. So when Finn and Rose meet, he threw in some conflict. It made no sense, and it was never followed up on. Rose and Finn were friends from then on.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  8. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    I understand the position of both, if I had been in Finn's place I would have done something similar, but if I had been in Rose's position I would have reacted in the same way as she did. Everyone was watching over their own interests (Finn wanted to find Rey and Rose wanted to protect the resources of the resistance) and in this case Rose was armed and took action first so she won. Although for me the movie wanted to show that Finn was wrong and Rose did the right thing.

9. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Rose just lost her sister and just went from hero worshiping Finn to being hit in the face with the truth of his desertion attempt. Finn did not contradict her when she referred to him as a Resistance hero so in her mind he was a Resistance fighter and thus was deserting.

10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  11. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    #TeamRose:D:D[face_love][face_love]

Seriously, I absolutely love this.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  12. Darth Air Raley

Darth Air Raley Jedi Padawan

May 11, 2016
    you're right about one thing. you sure did ruffle some feathers. we'll be seeing you.

/heels

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
  13. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    Maybe because it's one way for fans who are tired of all the negative trolling going on in the franchise (and elsewhere!) to have a rallying point/. Their own way to say "enough!"

14. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    It doesn't make her look like a crybaby. I wasn't aware that she had even commented on anything, or why she deleted her instagram photos.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001

16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Social media is gross. It gives an undeserved amplifier to the worst among us. There's nothing "crybaby" about either taking a break from it or simply removing oneself whole cloth, as I believe (but I'm not 100% sure because I don't pay that close of attention) DR did. If someone else, like Kim Kardashian, stays on despite epic amounts of abuse, that's cool too. Not everyone has the same tolerance for hateful BS, nor is everyone required to. Life is short. Do what works for you. KK probably focuses more on the good in social media, while others find more joy ignoring it altogether.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That is really cool.

Jediking97 likes this.
  18. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    Why and how he removed Finn knowing Paige before her death to comfort Rose is beyond me. He didn't want "connection" he wanted "conflict", and that hurt the characters and the story.

19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Rose's sister just died and she didn't want to see anyone abandoning the cause that her sister just gave her life to. Rose and Finn didn't become friends right after their confrontation. Over time, Rose and Finn learn about each others situation and the reasons for their actions. They bond throughout the film as they get to know each other. It makes complete sense.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Cave of Erised and rorow1 like this.
  20. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    Zapping Finn was not a heroic act, IMO. It was emotional and reactionary. Certainly the death of her sister makes it forgivable, but it doesn't justify it. This would be like zapping one of the Seal Team Six guys for going AWOL the day after he killed Bin Laden. It's completely absurd. She knew exactly who he was and what he'd done!

I think you could argue that Rose has feelings for Finn. But where in the movie we see any evidence that Finn feels anything for Rose? He puts a blanket on her at the end? IMO, it feels like a one-sided crush that's going to end badly for Rose.

Kelly Marie Tran was fantastic. I wouldn't change her performance at all. Just the script.

21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Considering that Rose and Finn's plan with the codebreaker ultimately failed and did nothing for the Resistance, except get a handful more of them killed, I'd say she was in the wrong and should have let Finn go off and find Rey. But hindsight is often 20/20.

I do find it funny that Rose is so due diligent in her work keeping people from fleeing the ship, and then suddenly she abandons her post and goes rogue herself with Finn, whom she had just stopped from doing the same thing (it's also odd that her absence has no affect on the ship and no one comments on it, even though her job as an engineer or whatever seems pretty crucial).

I get that she was convinced this was the "only way" to stop the First Order from tracking them, but she was presented up front as such a rule follower. If she'd been presented a little edgier, more as an idealist who's desperate to avenge her sister's death, then her sudden jumping into a dangerous and mutinous a plan with a complete stranger would have made more sense to me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Troopa212, RandomGreyJ and Obironsolo like this.
  22. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Her actions seem to make sense. She likes Finn and doesn't want him to die. Maybe just the statement afterwards that's a little confusing.

23. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    THANK YOU :rolleyes:

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Welcome! I enjoy expressing how I would have found a character more believable. It's therapeutic.

25. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    It’s selfish cowardice she hates and them risking losing something as important to legitimate escape if needed — a resource made to contain far more than one person — for selfish cowardice.

They take it to someone who’s a hero in the Resistance and a senior officer, Poe Dameron. He basically convinces them only he will like their plan & believe in them. Certainly not Holdo.

They try to execute it. I don’t think people appreciate just how close they came to pulling it off either. They were seconds from being heroes. It impacts the re-watch the same way you know Han’s initial plan to go to Bespin isn’t going to go as he hoped either but on first watch it seems they might pull it all off.