main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Personally I do think a film set sometime between RoTS and ANH, dealing with Obiwan thrust into some adventure/conflict (I wonder if Obiwan ever went off world during this time). And Ewan could reprise the role.

Do you want to see more of Obiwan in the future of star wars?

2. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I would love to see an Obi Wan film as long as they keep him away from Vader! I don't want endless duels between them like they did with Anakin, Obi and Dooku in The Clone Wars.

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yes, most definitely! Since such a film would presumably take place during Obi-Wan's exile on Tatooine, I'd love if they could loosely adapt the novel Kenobi onto the big screen, giving us a true "space western" in the format of an entire film.

I am sure Ewan would be down to reprise the role of an older Kenobi, and his performance was one of the highlights of the PT. I'd love to see him back in at least one more film as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If we did get a Kenobi film, I think it would be great if we saw him use Anakin's 2nd Lightsaber for a bit (TCW showed that he knows how to duel wield lightsabers effectively), and unlike the last time it was used, actually have the lightsaber be used for some good this time.

5. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Absolutely. Most of the character-specific spinoff ideas haven't sounded all that great to me, but Kenobi is a great idea, if for no other reason than the fact that Ewan McGregor is at the perfect age to play a between-trilogy Obi Wan. I would love to see him back on the big screen.

I imagine a tone very similar to the Wolverine film from last year, where Kenobi is a man who's isolated himself, trying to stay away from the trouble of his past, and in the process he gets pulled into trouble of a different kind. Shoot it like a western. Give it a quiet intensity, like the SW equivalent of No Country for Old Men.

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Well, Ewan's not getting any younger, so strike while the actor is willing... and Id love to see him and young Luke interact.

Id love to see a Jedi trying not to use his lightsaber in a western type story. As stated before him and Vader can't interact, though like in the EU books I wouldn't mind Obiwan seeing holonews about Vader and it greatly upsetting him.

7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I would love to see a Kenobi spin-off. Bring back Ewan, he's 9 years older than he was in ROTS so I guess he is in the right age to play Kenobi again (if they show his first years in Tatooine).

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes. I’m sure Ewan would be up for it. It would be great seeing his Obi-Wan again (one of the biggest strengths of the PT, IMO). Set it five or ten years after ROTS. A lot of potential there, IMO.

Bullhead CIty and Darth Rycbar like this.
  9. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Luke knew Kenobi in ANH. Obviously they had met. It would only make sense to Make a Kenobi movie, especially since Ewan is about the right age, and would be willing to do it. Don't have Luke in it in a Short Round role, just a cameo. Shouldn't be hard to find a 10 year old boy that resembles Mark.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just don't have Obi-Wan and Vader meet between ROTS and ANH.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ewan just turned 43. Yes I know this stuff, we were born the same year.

He could do a Kenobi spinoff within the next 15 years, and I say bring it.

12. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, there should be.

13. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Probably a little too close to the PT for Disney/Lucasfilm's current taste.

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Yes, absolutely. Ewan is charming and talented and I would love to see him play Obi-Wan again.

And as loki41872 said, Luke most likely had met him before ANH. I'd love to see their interactions that lead to Luke calling him a strange old hermit. I see Obi-Wan growing into this folkloric figure on Tatooine where all the kids are half-scared/half-intrigued by him and the adults are wary of him. Luke isn't surprised when Owen calls him a wizard, so Obi-Wan must have unleashed some Force stuff now and again.

Thomas Jay, theonesith and Pensivia like this.
  15. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yes, please.

I wonder if the actors who played Owen and Beru in the PT would be up for this. I don't think Luke or the Lars family should have huge roles, but I'd really like to see some interaction between Obi-Wan and Owen on-screen.

16. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Good idea. The guy who played Owen, Joel Edgerton, is one of the many people from the prequels doing quite well for himself now, but I really hope he'd come back!!

Bail B. Baobab and Han Burgundy like this.
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Definitely. A Kenobi spin-off set between ROTS and ANH, starring Ewan, would be great to see. It could start right after he rides off from the Lars homestead on his eopie at the end of ROTS. Maybe it could even end as he walks into the Jundland Wastes to scare some Tusken raiders away from a certain speeder.

18. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Good to see there's a lot of support for this idea so far (judging by the initial posts in this thread). Agree with all the main points already mentioned above. The only thing I can add that hasn't already been mentioned is an another reason I have for wanting to see such a spinoff made: my inner fan-girl crush on Ewan's Obi!!! [face_love] =P~ [face_love]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although I, too, would like to see a younger Luke (small child up to pre-teen) and/or Owen/Beru in small roles, I wonder if Luscasfilm would shy away from doing so because of the way the spin-off films have been previously described (by Kathleen Kennedy I think?) as "not connecting directly with the main saga" (my attempt at a paraphrase from my admittedly fuzzy memory about this, not an exact quote). Would any interaction between Luke and Obi be seen as too directly connected to the saga? Dunno how Lucasfilm would view this issue, just wondering out loud.

obimom, Warhorse78 and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  19. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yeah, that concerns me too. Though I'm generally pleased with that announcement, I do worry it might nix a Kenobi spinoff.
    BTW, pic number three is hardly gratuitous. I mean, it's closest to how Ewan would look in this film, so it's germane to discussion. Right? Right? :p

Jedi Knight Fett and Pensivia like this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of that somewhat nebulous statement... but I hope it doesn't automatically nix great ideas like a Kenobi spin-off.

21. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    I'd like an obi-wan film if qui-gon was involved and they brought back both Ewan and Liam for it, otherwise no.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Interesting, so you're going for an earlier timeframe story than most of the other ideas in this thread.

23. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    YES Ewan deserves it he did such a good job as Obi-Wan and loves the character so much I want to know what he was up to between PT and OT.

24. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013

In theory, I like that idea as far as potential story basis and characters (I'm a big fan of Qui-Gon as well as Obi), but (to me), it doesn't seem likely or feasible due to the actors' current ages. At best (if, say, the film was set just before the time of TPM), the actors would still be at least 16-17 years older (considering when TPM was actually shot and the timeframe when the first spinoff could feasibly begin shooting), and while I think both Liam and Ewan still look absolutely fantastic, it's just a natural fact that they do also look older than they did in TPM. So I think it would seem strange to see them playing those characters at earlier ages. I would definitely be opposed to different actors playing those roles.

Edit: I was just thinking--if they ever get good enough at "de-aging" actors via CGI effects (like they did for Brad Pitt in a couple of scenes from that "Benjamin Button" movie where his character was born elderly and then aged backwards throughout the movie), then I think it would be great to have a young Obi/Gui-Gon movie:) I remember seeing that film in the theater and being amazed at one of the scenes where BP (to me) looked exactly like he did in his first notable role (in Thelma and Louise) even though Benjamin Button was filmed years later.

EHT and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  25. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Of the rumored films based on already established characters, Kenobi is definitely the one that has me interested the most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.