main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't see a lot to explore here really, at least not in a film..

Luke meeting Ben before ANH makes no sense. Pass.

Obi-Wan and Owen grudge story? Interesting, but not really necessary..

There's got to be something more than "Obi-Wan's Tatooine Tales". Obi-Wan should be in hiding and living as a hermit, and unlike Yoda, he's got the duty to look after one of the Skywalker kids. Yoda would actually seem more available to be in a film set before ANH. I don't see Obi-Wan being anything other than a cameo/ minor role.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he has to protect luke. that's his job. there could be a good story there.

3. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I've always understood the dialogue in ANH to imply that Luke already knew "Ben" Kenobi, if not that well. He certainly needed no introduction when Ben rescued him from the Sand People.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke "knew" Ben in the Biblical sense. You know, fan-fiction etc.

Loupgarou likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, of course there should be a Obi-Wan spinoff movie

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I hear what you're saying, but I think there are possibilities.

Last year's Kenobi novel by John Jackson Miller offered what I thought was a cool look at what could be done to make a Kenobi exile story fun and exciting and I think an adventure like that could translate to film wonderfully (and that's only one example).

Heck, the more I consider it, I think there's actually an awful lot that could still be explored with Obi-Wan.

Like anything, I think it comes down to a good story idea which is well-executed.

Circular Logic likes this.
  7. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I've never read that Kenobi novel and I never plan to, but I don't think there's anything about exiled Obi-Wan that screams "This needs more backstory." I still think an Obi-Wan spinoff, at least during this time, sounds very limiting and not very ripe for an adventure story. It just makes more sense to me to do something else. Maybe a film with Obi-Wan as young Padawan could work..

8. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Unlike other star wars films, a "Kenobi" film can be more grounded (only set on Tatooine). Also if they ever did it, unlike the other films, I think the threat should not be Sith (or Sith allied, so no Imperials). I want a threat that is limited in its scope to just Tatooine. Perhaps Obiwan has to use his blade once more to protect not only the future of Luke and his Aunt and Uncle, but other settlers on Tatooine from Tuskens, or perhaps a criminal origination (or both, Or perhaps even defend tuskens from mass slaughter from others). Though even if there were no Sith/Imperials in said film, there is always a possibility that we could still have Obiwan duel against someone with a lightsaber (after all people do expect some lightsaber duel in a star wars film, then again "Kenobi" does not have to follow that tradition). Personally I think if this was done, a "dark jedi" would be a good option (always possible that another survivor of the jedi purge picked Tatooine as a place of refuge from the Empire, except he/she has gone down a darker path and has turned away from the Jedi ways). Nice to have a darksider threat for the 1st time in films that is not a Sith.

9. CelticJedi73

CelticJedi73 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2014
    Yes I think there should be one and I think Ewan could still do it if he's 43 and the story is going to be between 3 and 4and covers the Ben Kenobi book storyline as well as the Last of the Jedi storyline and how he watches over Luke and the whole Lars Homestead etc.

10. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I wouldn't mind an animated film about Obi-Wan and Anakin between TPM and ATOC during their years in training together going on some sort of adventure years before the Clone Wars. This would be a more interesting take on it.

Togruta likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pretty much all this. Tatooine's a rough place and not just the environment that'll potentially kill you. There's Hutts and gangsters and Tusken raiders who could easily have a tendency to lean on the poor moisture farmers and exploit them, perhaps even with means of deadly persuasion. And Obi-Wan is a Jedi Knight, albeit in hiding, who would have to take care of business especially if the aforementioned nasty people turn their attention to the Lars farm. He has to use his Jedi-ness to save the day but he can't because he's in hiding. There's your central conflict right there. Throw in toddler Luke to up the emotional stakes (and toddler Luke wouldn't remember Old Ben anyway)

Would it be a galaxy sprawling alien Star Wars adventure story with scads of starfighter battles and alien planets so forth? Nope. That's kind of the point.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^My mind immediately jumped to Rango reading that. lol

I guess some Tatooine crisis could happen, but it sounds awfully limiting for a Star Wars film. Maybe it could be a side story to tie into something else that's going on, but it doesn't feel like something to make a whole movie about.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i don't think luke or the lars would have to feature at all visually. just the fact that obi lives within close distance to the lars. he could see some pirates come into the area, maybe chased by imperials and know he has to keep this place off imperial scopes by getting rid of them. perhaps he helps the pirates including hondo from the tcw and they defeat the imperials. they keep any distress calls from going out but obi gets hurt in an explosion or something. the end.

14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think there could be a Kenobi spin off. Ewan played a good role I thought in the PT. I agree that the possibilities of setting a Kenobi movie on Tatooine would be fairly limiting. I suppose they could come up with a story that takes him away from there for a short while I guess, but at the same time you don't want to make it a Clint Eastwood stranger with no name style film.

15. Sariel2005

Sariel2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2014
    I think some interaction between Obi Wan and the the Lars would could be a good thing. Watching Star Wars it seems to me that while Owen knows that Anakin is Vader, Beru does not. Obi Wan and Owen interacting seems a logical plot point and Owen has to tell Obi that Anakin should have stayed and not gotten involved at some point I guess.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    An Obi-Wan and Anakin story, somehow i really feel we need a good old fashioned buddy movie. Set during the Clone Wars it could go a long way to heal the hurt a lot of fans felt with the way Anakin's relationship with Obi-Wan was portrayed in AOTC.

It would also lead to a massive debate over whether Hayden Christensen should play Anakin Skywalker.

I don't see how you could manage to squeeze in 12 or 13 years of adventures that Obi-Wan and Luke could've had in a 2 hour movie, i think a tv series would both give the story time to develope as well as giving a bigger look at all the parts of Tatooine we've not seen yet.

17. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I think a hard part of the idea of spinoffs is thinking of something important enough to make a film about, and making something that hasn't been done before.

AndyLGR and thejeditraitor like this.
  18. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    This immediately reminded me of the first novel in Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Kenobi the Gunslinger :cool: I'd pay to see it!

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012

I asked Bonnie Piesse over facebook if she has been approached regarding a star wars spin-off. She said she hadn't but we should start an internet petition.

20. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Was the petition her idea or yours? I can't quite tell from your wording. :)

Jedi Knight Fett and EHT like this.
  21. cronedoggy

Nov 3, 2012
    You are correct, I was ambiguous. I should have said: she said "we should start an internet petition"

I'd love for their to be an obi wan stand alone film starring Ewen and Joel edgerton. Getting Bonnie back would be nice for the visual continuity, plus is seem like an awesome person, so I'd root for her to get the role.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    She's asking people to start an internet petition on her behalf? Haha.

23. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yeah, that doesn't exactly bode well for the return of Beru. :p

24. cronedoggy

Nov 3, 2012
    I'll put the full quote from her, as I feel I may have inadvertently misrepresented her statement. I ask her "Any chance you will get to play Beru again in the Spin-off film?" and she replies "I would love that but have no idea!! Feel free to write to JJ Abrams etc and request it Even if you want to get a petition together that'd be awesome!"

From this I take that either the obi-wan spinoff isn't currently in the works, or at least she hasn't been asked to reprise her role.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  25. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Are you saying they had adventures together?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.