main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    OK, so to clarify thejeditraitor and bstnsx704, Obi-Wan explicitly says in the Kenobi novel that Qui-Gon did speak to him on Polis Massa.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    That doesn't really make sense to me (maybe it's explained in the book?). If communing with the dead was so easy that Obi-Wan could learn it within a day or two, how come nobody except Yoda ever managed to do it before that. I think there should be more to it than that, surely.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I dont think that contacting the dead is the hard part. Until qui-gon, dead people joined the netherworld of the force and stopped being individuals. Figuring out how to stick around after death is the hard part.

For further evidence, Luke didn't need to learn anything to hear from Obi-wan.

5. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Quite frankly, if Ewan's Kenobi were just to sit in his hermitage for 90 minutes, I would watch it. :p

6. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    wookieepedia says kenobi never spoke with qui-gon until he was on tatooine AFTER ROTS which is the impression i was under. technically he appears as a vision to obi in tcw. obi believed it was an illusion. then after rots...

A short time following the end of the Clone Wars, Jinn spoke to his former apprentice Kenobi, one of the few survivors of the Great Jedi Purge, in the streets of Anchorhead.[76] When Kenobi was debating whether to go to Bellassa to rescue Ferus Olin, Jinn promised to watch over Anakin Skywalker's son, Luke.[77]

7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i haven't read "kenobi" but it contradicts the movie and therefore is no longer canon.

8. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I would love to see an Obi-Wan Kenobi spin-off film. If they are willing to have Obi-Wan Kenobi appear in Rebels; I don't see why they wouldn't allow for an Obi-Wan movie about his Exile on Tatooine. I even read a quote someone linked, where Ewan said he would love to come back and play Obi-Wan as a Force Ghost in the Sequel Trilogy. So maybe he would be up for a Spin-Off Film of his own.

I also read a recent quote from Liam Neesen, saying that he would love to come back to the Star Wars Galaxy. With both Ewan and Liam willing to come back for more Star Wars; I don't see why they couldn't even make a Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan Spin-Of like Cyreides proposed. I know it was many years ago since they filmed together in TPM; but they don't look much older today. As long as it took place in the timeframe just before TPM, and with movie makeup applied on Set, they could easily play those Characters again. :D

9. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Kenobi is a core character - the spin offs will not be about core characters as per Kathleen Kennedy's statement

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    good point. i had forgotten that.

11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

That doesn't exclude a Kenobi movie at sometime in the future - but the first three will be about the "other guys"

Personally, I'm hoping for brand new characters

12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i hope there's no han solo movie then.

Redimet likes this.
  13. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

Personally, I don't want it either.

Some mystery about characters we love are what keep them interesting - did Conan Doyle tell us all about the childhood and schooldays of Sherlock Holmes? No.

How exactly did Han cheat Lando out of the Falcon? Was Han really an Imperial officer? Why does Chewie owe him a life debt?* How does Chewie go from brave warrior in TCW to being a drug smuggling criminal?

Maybe it is more awesome to never know...

More importantly, do I want to see Han, Leia, Lando and Luke played in live action form by other actors? No.

Do I want to see their Rebellion and post-RotJ adventures in animated form? Yes.

Am I contradicting myself? Probably. :p

*In fact, since only what we see on screen of the six movies and TCW is canon - does Chewie even owe Han a life debt? It is never said on screen that they are anything but friends?

Abadacus and thejeditraitor like this.
  14. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Why would this be? Owen and Beru are adults and fully capable of watching over Luke themselves. The only real risk I can see is due to the fact that Luke's last name wasn't changed to Lars. If that had been done then there would have been less reason for OB1 to "guard" him.

15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

If that was the case then Obi-Wan wouldn't have spent the entire latter part of his life on Tatooine looking over Luke. Owen and Beru are capable adults, sure, but they wouldn't have been able to do anything if the Empire caught wind of Luke. They were slaughtered when the Empire caught wind of the droids; it would have been no different if Luke was discovered.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    yep. obi's job is to make sure he never gets discovered in the first place.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  17. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    although I loved the Kenobi novel, simply because he is my favorite SW character...but lets be honest for the most part it was a snooze fest, also what can Kenobi do during his exile? his Paramount mission is to watch over Luke, in doing so remain hidden until 'the time is right'. I see no reason he would leave Tat, so unless its on Tat it wouldn't work. And even if it was a on Tat he would have to eliminate any foes that saw him use his Jedi powers and I don't see him putting someone else in danger by allowing him to see him use his abilities. Again I would love to see Ewen as Kenobi again, I just see it working..

I'm hoping for that Master Voss movie/series there was a rumor about years back.

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would love a "between III and IV" Obi Wan film as well. It could be a great opportunity to show an adolescent Luke too, something I have always wanted to see. But only if Obi-Wan were played by Ewan McGregor. Now that it's been a few years, he'd be older, which would work well for the (assumed) timeframe...

Actually, I would really love to see film based on the book Kenobi. That was one of my favorite SW books, and I feel it would translate well to a movie.

Trebor Sabreon and Ananta Chetan like this.
  19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  20. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    What about pre-TPM Obi-Wan, adventuring with Qui-Gon?

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the Han Solo trilogy of novels though - which focused on this sort of thing. Still didn't show Han's time at the Academy in any detail though.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would enjoy that, but I would almost prefer then that it would actually center more on Qui Gonn.

23. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I think a Kenobi spin-off is pure MONEY, and might actually be a good movie too. But I think it would take place shortly before Episode III, not after. Obi-Wan could go off on some important mission that has galactic consequences, and then get called back to help in the Clone Wars (of course the cartoon series might cover all this already). A post-ROTS I think isn't best because: 1) Obi is primarily meditating in the desert, 2) Meeting Luke is just messing too much with the magic of ANH. I don't know, call me nostalgic on that one. What would they do for 2 hours? Yes, people would pay to see it, but I don't see a story that would fit.

Ben: Young Luke, want to go to the Tosche station with me?
    Luke: Yippee!!!

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  24. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    YES! And they need to do this while McGregor is still young enough for the part!

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The Sand People also offer a substantial threat, Owen and Cliegg couldn't do anything when they kidnapped Shmi. If the Sand People were to kidnap Luke, what chance would he have without Obi-Wan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.