main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. The Boards Are Now Reopened For Business:

READ THIS: your ability to post here depends upon it.. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Kenobi Kenobi : A Star Wars Story Thread [possibly in early developments- see pg 71]

Discussion in 'Beyond the Saga - Spoilers Allowed' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

1. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    I agree to much of what you're stating. They have to get in a space battle somehow and also some light saber duelling else the general audience wouldn't be very happy, and I realize that the former would be hard to do in the "Kenobi on Tatooine" era. Someone has to be really creative on that one. However, I do not agree that the plot should be from the clone wars. As much as I'd like to see a story there that's not "Kenobi". I clone wars story would be fitting too well with the main story and I don't think that is the intention with the spin-offs. Rogue One was in the timeline, but with mostly different characters. A "Kenobi" would have to be focusing on the character, not split between all the different characters in the clone wars. We would have to see at least Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka and Rex to get that right.

To solve the space battle part they could pull some basic idea from Jude Watson's "The Desperate Mission" which sends Kenobi away from Tatoiine one last time. If so they'd to tweak up the space part and down the actual hunt for Ferus Olin a bit.

kalzeth likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    Where did you get this from?

3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Only from a search on Google “Futuristic Canyon Cityscapes”

I just wanted to find some images that might generally convey what I imagined for a busy canyon-built city or spaceport on Tattooine.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Some of them really look like they come straight out of Star Wars.

kalzeth likes this.
  5. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I wonder if John Williams will write a new Obi-Wan for this (not to be confused with the AOTC Obi-Wan motif or the Force theme (which was originally concieved as "Ben's theme" in SW77 I believe)).

6. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Since it will be a spin-off someone has to do it. I assume they can't really use the existing one. Let's hope John Williams will be the one to do it and it would be good if there were some parts (not too much) resembling "Ben's Theme".

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Force Ghost star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Considering his age and the fact that 'Obi-Wan' is not confirmed then it's not going to happen.

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't see john williams being involved personally

its a thing of knowing that he can't compose every movie for the foreseen future and that at some point they will need to start getting other composers.

9. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    They already did that for Rogue One.

10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah and they will probably want to carry on doing that since stopping and trying to get john williams to do every film is like just admitting they can't find anyone as good as him.

11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think a cool idea for a villain would be a jaded Jedi. Sort of like A'Sharad Hett from Legends. Maybe he finds out Obi-Wan is protecting the son of Anakin, and wants revenge on the Skywalkers. Would fit in the theme of Obi-Wan being the protector and guardian of the Skywalker bloodline.

Mostly Handless and GregMcP like this.
  12. GregMcP

GregMcP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    "The Skywalkers are a Menace to the Galaxy! Why do you protect them?"

Mostly Handless and Deliveranze like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    If he is ever to compose another SW movie after IX then I think he might do the Rian trilogy. He will not score the spinoffs though.

14. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    He’s providing the main theme for Solo. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does the same for Kenobi.

As for Rian’s trilogy...... I doubt it. Disney look intent on moving into new areas and I also suspect that JW is reaching the end of his working life. He deserves a rest!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. DarthKeithSkywalker

DarthKeithSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 5, 2015
    Give me a Kenobi movie without destroying Obi-Wan as a character. Can you imagine if Rey is retconned (again) as a Kenobi in Ep IX, then they will have to show us Obi-Wan breaking the Jedi Code while in exile? The one thing that defines Obi-Wan and there's a possibility Disney would break it just so they can make Rey a Kenobi.

CaraJinn likes this.
  16. Oissan

Oissan Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    a) Disney isn't in charge of these movies, Lucasfilm is
    b) they jut released a movie in which Rey's parents were clearly defined as
    nobodies
    , and while that could change in theory, there is zero reason to assume that Lucasfilm, much less Disney, would try to force such a change. So why even worry about it?

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think this way of thinking leads to misery.

"Luke/Han/Obi Wan MUST be like this."
    You're going to get burned with unalterable ingrained attitudes.

And the Obi Wan Sits on Tatooine and does nothing else theorem will only cause pain for you.

darth_mccartney, Avnar and Krueger like this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    That's why a lot of fanboys annoy me when they set conditions on things. "It must have this, this and this, otherwise I'm out!". How can you take that seriously and have an adult conversation with someone like that? Honestly, when I read comments like that a part of me hopes that that particular fan will be disappointed so they can just disappear. Entitlement and this weird sense of ownership, IMO, belong in the worst section of fandoms. And yes, setting conditions like that, more often than not, just leads to disappointment and misery.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    darth_mccartney, wobbits and Avnar like this.
  19. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    I'm not so worried about Rey being a Kenobi, but I agree that it's important that they somehow keep Obi-Wan in character. Maybe even more so than with most other characters simply because he's the one except Yoda and Anakin/Vader who has appeared in most of the films. Thus he's one of the more developed characters in the saga which makes him more important to keep in character than other, more random, appearances. I know I'm a bit biased, but what would Obi-Wan be without the dry wit and the calmness and the loneliness we sensed when we first saw him played by Alec Guinness in ANH?

They can, and probably must make some twists to get a story that will attract more than the hardcore fans, but severing his personality would really make me disappointed. Too sad I wouldn't know until after I'd seen the movie, so the money would have left my pocket anyway.

DarthKeithSkywalker likes this.
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 26, 2009
    I think the biggest challenge with this film is giving Obi-Wan a meaningful character arc, given that he's pretty resolute in his mission in watching over Luke from the end of ROTS to the start of ANH.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Lawgiver & Casual Flyer star 5 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think the solution is to build a story around a threat to that mission. Give Obi-Wan no choice but to take action.

22. Link1130

Link1130 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2002
    Technically, Lucasfilm is Disney now.

DarthKeithSkywalker likes this.
  23. DarthKeithSkywalker

DarthKeithSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 5, 2015
    I just hope they do keep Obi-Wan in character while enriching his story between ROTS and ANH. Letting Obi-Wan be Obi-Wan is vitally important than how Han or Luke behaved in the ST since timeline wise, Obi-Wan is supposed to become Ben in between those years while for Luke & Han, it has been 30 years.

And for the record, JJM's "Kenobi" novel is absolutely brilliant. I'm not a proponent of Obi-Wan sitting around in the Jundland wastes at all. That's not what I'm saying. Let Obi-Wan be Obi-Wan. That's all I'm saying.

24. Oissan

Oissan Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No, technically Lucasfilm is Lucasfilm, and belongs to Disney.

That's beside the point though. What matters is who makes the decisions, and in this case that is Lucasfilm, not Disney. Disney lets its sub-studios produce the movies, that's what they have success with, that's why they bought them in the first place. They aren't EA, who buy something, change it into something entirely different and then wonder why it isn't working anymore.

I agree, that's the most logical path they could take. Allows for plenty of suspense and action, with high stakes but nothing that feels forced.

25. Link1130

Link1130 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2002
    I mean, we're getting into semantics and I don't really disagree with what you're saying as far as the decisions being made. I was just being cheeky. IMO, if Disney owns Lucasfilm than Lucasfilm is a part of Disney. So Lucasfilm is Disney but Disney is not Lucasfilm.