main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    They can do anything they want as they have plenty of leeway set out. All we know is that Maul is killed by Kenobi on Tatooine a couple of years before ANH. That doesn't mean that they can't have met years earlier off Tatooine and be the reason for where Maul is when he returns in Rebels. So while it may be unlikely they can do it just like they can have Vader in the movie without the two actually meeting.

Whatever the case I expect that this movie which by all accounts has been worked on in some form for several years now will happen. As for why it hasn't been yet I would say that unlike saying that RJ is doing some unknown trilogy or the GOT guys are doing some series of movies this is a known quantity so either you announce it or not. You can't say that Ewan McGregor is signed up to do some Star Wars project or the like without it being known.

If Solo is set in a distinctly Lucasverse as Rogue One was and as Obi-Wan would be then it would turn out to be a great complimentary trilogy bridge between ROTS and ANH.

That said while a movie is a good idea if it turns out to be a 10 episode TV series on the Disney streaming service instead then I won't be complaining.

Either way this should be done in some live action form.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Bor Mullet and kalzeth like this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    With a Kenobi stand-alone looking more and more likely and written by a romantic dramatic writer I say let the Obi-Wan is Rey’s grandfather rumors begin again!

The ST will then be about the main characters of the PT’s grandchildren coming together and none of it will take away from Rey’s abandonment issues which stem from legitimate abandonment.

As a classic fairy tale I now expect the last name reveal will be saved for the end of IX almost as a bit of wish fulfillment after Rey’s efforts in IX. One of Yoda or Luke will introduce her to her grandfather via Force ghost and then in the Kenobi film we will see Obi-Wan fall in love with the woman who will be Rey’s biological grandmother.

VIII has the dice to lead into Solo. IX May have the tie-in to lead into Kenobi and more backstory.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I love Ewan as Obi-Wan. This day keeps getting better and better!

PymParticles likes this.
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's certainly possible.

ROTS -19 to ANH
    ANH +3 to TESB
    ANH +4 to ROTJ
    ANH +34 to ANH

Rey is 19 in TFA/TLJ so she's born ANH +15 so there is a large enough span of time more likely to be long enough after ROTS but before ANH where Rey's mother or father can come about.

If she was in that sense. In that scenario for all we know her parents got told by Obi-Wan himself to leave the child there because they were being tracked by agents of Snoke. It would hardly be surprising if all sorts of things never even hinted at in the last two movies happen in the third. I expect they were saving most of the story for IX all along since they went out of their way to not tell it in TFA or TLJ not even Rey's last name.

More likely Anakin will. As I've said I don't think it can really work at this point as such but in plot terms they can at least give some connections that do arc over the 9 movies.

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is the spin-off that intrigues me the most. I mean, what will be the story? I’m expecting a film with quite a few flashbacks. I find it hard to believe that Lucasfilm won’t take the opportunity to utilise Yoda in some way. Doing that via flashbacks make the most sense. Maybe a bit of Qui-Gon and Anakin could be in play, too?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I wouldn't be so quick to right off Darth Maul In an Obi Wan Kenobi Film Maul In Clone Wars and Rebels I believe was Canon.

are there any rumors who is Directing the Obi Wan film?

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If they're keeping canon, it wouldn't make much sense.

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Jonny Knoxville and Sofia Vergara!
    The perfect Kenobi cast.

.... Stephen Daldry is the rumoured director, though clickbaity sites have said George Lucas is the director, because he visited Ireland.

But Stephen Daldry is probably it.

Krueger likes this.
  9. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    so when would this be released? 2020?

10. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    This is the force.net opinion. December 2020. It's the movie after Episode 9 anyway.

Ren Kylo likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Make this happen. Happy to hear that it seems to be a distinct possibility.

12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    why not? the film is supposed to take place in-between episode 3 and episode 4 it could be before Obi Wan kills Maul in that Rebels episode? I also assume Obi Wan goes off Planet on some kind of adventure or the film would be kind of claustrophobic and boring stuck solely on one planet.

13. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It would setup Kenobi nicely even for new fans and casuals if IX ended with this reveal. Easiest way to do it is have her parents die in a wreck or from being boarded and make it the junkers who stole the ship and raised her briefly out of guilt or because they could use her to crawl into engines that they couldn’t.

14. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Stephens Daltry is an interesting pick.

He is very "British". He likes a dance.
    Billy Eliott. He likes history and serious topics. The Crown, The Hours.
    He is very un-Bowen.

I can see him doing a British actor roaming the desert, rather than spaceships and things exploding all the time. But maybe he wants to break his typecast.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm not crazy about Stephen Daldry being the leading candidate for this. Given his filmography, he never struck me as anyone who would be remotely interested in a project like this.

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Think about how good Ewan was as Kenobi with George’s tin ear for dialogue later in his career. Ewan somehow found ways to make even the difficult lines feel genuine. Now imagine someone like Daldry writing lines for him! The fact he’s involved also makes me think a romance is happening that will lead to us meeting Rey’s grandmother.

17. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Good to see some new info/rumors on this. Hopefully, we'll get official word soon.This project has been at the top of my SW film wish list.

18. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    On the day Solo does its red carpet....
    I think then it's clear that the first word on Kenobi will be coming soon. Let Solo do it's run, and then we get announcements.

19. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    If this was planned all along, they should have saved Maul for the movie, instead of that lackluster end in a Rebels episode. I really feel the Kenobi story is over, so I'm not sure what direction this can take - I'm hoping it includes Ahsoka though.

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That’s why I like it, it’s a strange hire similar to Irvin Kershner on Empire.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    I’d really like to see the relationship between Ben and Owen explored. Perhaps Owen gets in some trouble and Ben must follow him off world in order to protect him. A kind of buddy-picture with the gruff farmer and the aging warrior teaming up and eventually having a falling out over a misunderstanding. I’d like to see those two discussing Luke’s future. A dynamic between two characters that I feel was hinted at in ANH but unfortunately neglected in the PT. Also, we could see Owen return to Tatooine in a Skyhopper at the end of the movie.

eko32eko7 and Satipo like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m excited about him. He’s done a great job with the Crown. Solid drama and beautiful cinematography.

ComfortablyNunb and Strongbow like this.
  23. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    Everyone thought Johnson was a "strange hire" too...we all saw how that turned out.

24. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Well there's a sentence that could lead in any direction.

25. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I need this movie so badly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.