main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Mystery to me too. Personally, I think it's more about Ewan McGregor the actor than Obi-Wan the character. Ewan did do a terrific job of playing the part - I just don't see the big deal about seeing the character again. He's, by design, a very static character. For this to work for me at all, they'd have to introduce a dynamic main character with Obi-Wan playing the mentor/support role that he's always been.

2Cleva likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    We like him as a character. He's powerful. There could be a romance there. There could be something that ties him to Rey in the ST still (Possibly). You could still tell an interesting story with him.

There were some rumors of the Water tax story, which if expanded out into more detail and told better on film, could come off almost like a mix between a History of Violence and a Frank Capra story. Basically, a guy who seems like just an unassuming man to all who know him, right down to even letting himself have his own house wrecked by Hutts who are increasingly exerting their will on the people of Tatooine rather than blow his cover, who secretly is a powerful Jedi but shows restraint and control during the day and cunning intellect and skill at night to help the vulnerable (including the Lars family and Luke specifically) avoid being muscled or hurt by the Hutts without the Hutts realizing it's really him who's their main adversary the whole time.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    sizziano, 2Cleva and CaraJinn like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He's a beloved character and we assume good writers can create a compelling story. I mean until Rebels we didn't know Kenobi fought Maul again. So you're own post shows we don't know his entire story because it hasn't been written yet.

kalzeth, Bor Mullet, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  4. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Maybe because he's the most interesting character in Star Wars? (For sure, I realize that a lot of people will disagree with me in that, as we all have our favorite characters in the saga.) However, Obi-Wan Kenobi is the human character that has been present in most of the movies. He appeared as a real person in all the prequel movies, in the OT he was partly a real person and partly a force ghost in all three movies and he even spoke a line in TFA. Admittedly he never appeared in TLJ. In many ways he's the one that ties the story together, even though it is the Skywalker saga.

We know how he came to Tatooine, we certainly know how he left. But somehow he must have been doing something throughout the nearly 20 years he was waiting for Luke to grow up.

Besides, Ewan McGregor was worth watching in the prequels so seeing him as the older Kenobi would certainly be worth buying the ticket to the movie.

5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Those are all definitely reasons. No intention to debate and I'm not challenging anyone's feelings - just curious of why it had appeal to some.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    John Campea in his recent youtube video claims to have heard from at least 3 contacts who are closely connected to the situation that an Obi Wan movie is most definitely moving forward and will probably be announced fairly soon. but to be on safe side take with a grain of salt never the less.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  7. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Since you ask, he is one of my all-time favorite characters from all of SW. He is to me, a FAR MORE interesting character than anyone from the ST. I don't know anything about him post RotS, pre-ANH. The man he was in the PT doesn't seem like the sort who would sit around for 19 years on a desert planet.
    Oh and one other thing: lately, my SW interest has been a bit low. But give me a whiff of an Obi-Wan movie, and I'm all over that.

Valairy Scot, CaraJinn and 2Cleva like this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Because he’s Rey’s grandpa!:p

9. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    I really hope he is the sort who learned form his mistakes and would sit around on a desert planet for 19 years, protecting the person he swore to protect and then train to defeat the monster he helped create.

If they do a Obi-Wan movie, I really, really, really hope it is all on Tatooine and that Obi-Wan is in constant conflict over his duty. About perhaps getting involved in a dispute and making sure Luke is safe.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Or really really hope not. :p

CaraJinn, Ridley Solo and 2Cleva like this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Nah he be her greatgrandpa.[face_party]

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Or no relation at all!

14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    If Qu’ira has a fling with Kenobi while dealing with the Hutts in the Kenobi film and ends up being Rey’s grandmother then things get very interesting!

[face_dancing]

kalzeth likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't want the Kenobi film bogged down with Rey's parentage. It's the ST's job to tell that story. I want Kenobi's film to be about Kenobi.

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Why was there so much buzz about Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, when we already knew that Lincoln would die at the end?

This is not a hard question to answer. There are hundreds of different ways to tell the story of what Obi-wan did for those years. And it’s the way they tell that story, not the endpoint, that matters.

17. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree with you about this specifically.

But at some point there does have to be some interconnectivity between all these films that consists of more than just easter eggs. And I do think it would take something of that kind of significance to do it. Maybe not now, but eventually something like that will have to happen.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Because it's about (or should be) about telling stories. I'd say the ST for example has failed to tell it's story so far. Maybe somehow JJ can make one of the greatest movie of all time that will make sense of both TFA and TLJ so that trilogy works both on it's own and with the six movies before it. I severely doubt that.

R1 told a story that worked within itself but also was part of a greater story. Now there are various problems to quibble over and it doesn't totally segue in but it does both things quite well and adds new facets and context to the original six. Solo seems to do the same and a Kenobi movie can as well.

Just as the PT did to the OT.

Bossk_Baby likes this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It will be about Kenobi. Rey Kenobi ;)

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

EHT, Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

On an unrelated note... (see what I did there?) The half/halves pun potential for Kenobi with Maul is enormous.

23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Years ago, I wrote a five-page treatment for fun that had Kenobi and Maul team up because the Empire was closing in on both of them, and they were the only two left alive who could help each other. The two end up bickering at each other the entire time, a fun and slightly menacing rapport developing between them. They end up in a duel against Vader that recalled Kenobi and Jinn fighting Maul way back when, with Vader taking a ton of abuse until he becomes weakened enough to collapse. Kenobi gets closet to breaking through to Anakin before Maul scores a cheap shot on Vader while he's distracted, and then Vader just loses his freaking mind. Kenobi gets the hell out of dodge while Vader literally tears Maul apart piece-by-piece, returning to Tatooine where he becomes convinced that there's no saving his former apprentice, that he's twisted and evil and more machine than man.

Obviously none of this can happen, but I do think there's a ton in dramatic value in forcing Obi-Wan and Maul to spend as much time with each other as possible, forcing each to get to know the man who played such a crucial role in ruining his life.

Bossk_Baby and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rey Kenobi
    In theaters everywhere, August 2017.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Of course Maul could just be a silly visual gag, and have no repercussions for other movies at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.