main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Who says Kenobi has to stay on Tatooine for twenty plus years?

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He did promise Yoda he'd "watch over" Luke.

3. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Doesn't mean he had to watch him with binoculars 247. He would sense if Luke was in trouble even if he was worlds away.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True - but being worlds away would mean he couldn't always intervene in time.

While he doesn't need to be in Owen's back yard - he does need to be close enough to react if trouble comes - maybe going on missions short time if the need is desperate enough - but not otherwise.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Plus, in addition to being on Tatooine to watch over and protect Luke, he's there to hide out as a hermit too. He may go on brief missions if needed, but generally it's safer for him if he lays low on Tatooine as opposed to traveling around more and risk being seen.

DARTH_BELO and Iron_lord like this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've thought about that too...

Only thing is: exactly what kind of missions could he go on? No one (other than Yoda) knows where he is-I'm assuming not even Bail Organa. And that would also mean he would not be in contact with any of them. Also, with the Jedi order all but decimated/scattered, it's not like he would even have opportunity for the normal kind of assignments the order were sent on in the past. From what I've read, the Rebel Alliance took several years to build power to the point of being a legitimate resistance to the empire. All Obi-Wan could essentially do then would be to just show up out of the blue to the rebel leaders and say "how can I help?"

[face_thinking] The only thing I could imagine is if he just happens to meet someone randomly and stumble onto a situation on Tattooine, get involved in the shenanigans and follow that path wherever it might lead until they accomplish whatever immediate goal they set out for. (This actually happened in the short book series The Last Jedi...or maybe its called The Last OF THE Jedi-can't remember. But a storyline like that was in there.)

EHT likes this.
  7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, that's why I phrased it as "He may go on brief missions if needed". It's not impossible that he did, but I couldn't think of too many scenarios where it really seemed likely either.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I'd love a Kenobi film set between 3 and 4. Thing is, Obi-Wan ages drastically quickly between both trilogies, so, unless they age Ewan quite a bit (which is doable), it'd have to be closer to ROTS. They could also address the aging thing, if they wanted to. But yes, I'd love to see a younger Obi-Wan go into the Mos Eisley Cantina for the first time, having an experience that he recalls when he later tells Luke that the place can be a little rough. And maybe it would be there where he finds a pilot to get him off-world for some sort of adventure outside of the Skywalker storyline. I would still very much like to at least see Owen, though. An older Joel Edgerton interacting with an older Ewan would be great, especially if we see more of why Owen is distrusting of Obi-Wan.

9. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I will say that if they could figure out a way to make such an idea work out believably, I would definitely love to see something like that.

It would be an interesting twist to find out that Kenobi had actually left Tattooine a few times over that 20 years, getting involved in some other type of adventure, rather than thinking he just spent the entire time wandering around the sands and spaceports of Tattooine...Kind of Still "fighting the good fight," as it were.

EHT likes this.
  10. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    A 2.5 hr movie could easily take place over a day or two. We could get a smaller more personal movie rather than a sprawling adventure. We could get a more classic style western movie. Obi-wan makes a friend in the city. Bounty hunters come after said friend. Obi-wan protects the friend. Friend doesn't survive. Ben now becomes a hermit to avoid getting caught up in the affairs of the locals.

This would show some of the evolution of a galaxy trodding hero turned hermit. Could he initially resist helping out the locals whenever he could?

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I love the idea of a self-contained Kenobi on Tatooine dealing with locals, mercs, and sandpeople while trying to stay in hiding but still having to get his Jedi-on at certain moments (and maybe also see why Owen seems to actively dislike him to vehemently by the time of the OT), maybe tie the outer Kenobi conflict with the Larrs conflict together. Also Joel Edgerton, who played Owen in the PT, has put in some great performances recently and it could give some meaty conflict for him and McGreggor to bounce off. I've said this before but it could be an interesting, introspective, very Western-y Star Wars movie that didn't actually throw down on spectacle. Keep it low key and actually cheap (by Star Wars movie standards) and they could turn a profit. I've always said basically just make "True Grit. With A Lightsaber".

Bail B. Baobab and EHT like this.
  12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

yodasbum and EHT like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded!

yodasbum and GGrievous like this.
  14. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    Easy enough to work in him meeting a young Luke there as well, since Luke clearly knows of 'Old Ben Kenobi'. There was interest earlier of an interaction with Qui-Gon as well...also easy enough as an advising force ghost.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    I love the idea. I think Ewen is a good age still and it would provide a nice link back to the PT while also shedding light on how he became a hermit, sprinkling in some little side "adventures" or experiences he may have had. I think it could really shed more light on his character and provide opportunities, peripherally, to add more to the inbetween years (linking to Rebels a bit) but not in a way that takes mystery out. Keep his butt on Tattooine. Note: We have the Kenobi book in our house though I have not read it yet. My wife has read it and enjoyed it. However, I am assuming it is not cannon per the recent announcement.

This is probably one of the more "safe" single story ideas I have heard. By "safe" I mean less danger in ruining our love for a character via either recasting or saturation. For example, a young Han (recast) or Yoda (I have trouble with 2 hours of Yoda even though I love his character). I also think Ewen was never fully realized or utilized in the PT and this could be a lot of fun. Maybe he lets down the stodgy guard he had while on the council (films moreso than Clone Wars) and allows more of the smarm to show itself: ) May the smarm be with us...always....

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    YES. Pretty much this exact film. Maybe dealing with protecting a young Luke from afar or something like that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think a Kenobi spin off is a great idea if he is allowed to go off world. The problem with confining a Kenobi spin off to Tatooine alone could make it a film that doesn't have much scope or sweep, and at the same time if it did remain on Tatooine it can't tread the same ground as a Pale Rider style film either.

But we are all assuming that he stayed on Tatooine to watch over Luke. Maybe he remained there because the planet is out of the way and controlled by the Hutts, hence the Empire wouldn't be venturing there much. If thats the case then it does open up the possibility of him being able to visit other planets in the region close by.

But then the other issue is what is the story about? How does a hermit manage to get himself involved in someone elses business when by definition a hermit isn't initiating any contact? Unless of course that business involved the Lars or Luke in some way.

Also why was Owen so keen to keep Luke away from Ben? Did something happen between them both, maybe there is something else other than the intimated selfishness of Owen wanting to keep Luke on to help him out?

18. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    There should be a Kenobi trilogy. Seriously, while Ewan is just the right age. I'd rather that than a Fett or Han movie.

19. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    But that doesn't make any sense. If Bail doesn't know then how does Leia know to send Artoo to Obi Wan with a message for him in ANH? We can assume that Bail told her at some point where Obi Wan was otherwise she wouldn't have sent Artoo to him. Plus, Bail is right there with Yoda and Obi Wan in ROTS when Obi Wan says he'll take Luke to Tatooine and watch over him.

Personally, I would rather not have an Obi Wan film. I think he's had enough screen time as is and would rather the spin-offs focus on all new or lesser known characers. I'd still watch an Obi Wan movie but that's not my first choice.

20. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh yeah – I forgot Bail was there when he said that. LOL

Okay, so I guess that statement was incorrect-my bad. So, Bail knew-which explains Leia knowing. But still, it doesn't look like anyone else knew. I'd say that doesn't change much else about what Obi-Wan could have done in the interim. I'm sure Bail probably didn't go and spread the word as to where Yoda and Obi-Wan were.

I will say I agree that Obi-Wan has had quite a bit of screen time, and I would prefer seeing some lesser seen characters in the spinoffs for sure. But like I mentioned before, I wouldn't mind seeing something involving Obi-Wan's dealings between III and IV-simply for the reason of seeing some of the things that happened from a Jedi's perspective during that time and the Emperor rising to power, (not to mention the formation of the rebellion) and especially the idea of possibly seeing a young Luke and Leia. Those are the things I would really be more excited for-and I figured an Obi-Wan movie could have the biggest opportunity for those things...

21. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I could deal with a Kenobi film, assuming Ewan wanted to replise the role for a whole movie. He said he'd be available if they needed him, but he never said anything about a starring role.

22. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    You're 43? So I must be the youngest person here...

23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    There's a wide range of ages here.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    I'm still probably among the youngest.

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007