main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Kenobi and Yoda vs Sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 9, 2015.

?

Do you think Obi wan and Yoda together could have killed Darth Sidious?

1. Yes, they're powerful together.

37.5%
  2. No way. The Emperor is too strong.

62.5%
  1. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Yoda is sooo dumb. Why se sent Obi wan to kill Anakin? It would be much better if Obi wan and Yoda had confronted the Emperor together! I think they could defeat Sidious...

2. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I suspect that if Yoda and Obi-Wan had confronted Palpatine together, it would end up as a replay of Obi-Wan's encounters with Dooku, with him being quickly dispatched before the main duel can commence.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yoda wanted to take down the Sith as quickly as possible. If they had teamed up on one, the other would've just been able to disappear for a bit, and assemble the resources necessary to be protected while hunting Yoda and Obi-Wan down.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  4. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Obi Wan wouldn't have been much help vs Palpatine (see fights with Dooku). If Anakin is not seriously diminished by Obi Wan he'll soon become too powerful for anyone to stop. He will also have his two children as heirs to be trained from the time they're born. Mentally unstable or not, if Anakin becomes much more powerful the Empire will last a lot longer than a few decades. Either they split up or both go after Anakin because without one of the twins on their side there is little hope.

5. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Yoda and Kenobi together 2 vs 1 against Palps would have met the same fate as windu and the 3 other Jedi masters 4 vs 1 against Palps.
    Palps would've easily and quickly killed Kenobi as he did with the 3 other Jedi masters. And then kill Yoda, if Yoda doesn't run away.
    Palps was in perfect position to easily kill Yoda at the beginning of their fight (when Palps put Yoda down with force lightning) all palps had to do was finish Yoda off right there, but he didn't. Instead Palps played with Yoda the same way a cat plays with a rat.... Sometimes the rat escapes (as Yoda did).
    Anyways, Palps is far too strong for any of the Jedi both individually or combined to defeat.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    From the ROTS novel:

"Palpatine faced Mace and Agen and Kit and Saesee - four of the greatest swordsmen our order has ever produced. By himself. Even both of us together wouldn't have a chance."

"True," Yoda said, 'But both of us apart, a chance we might create...

7. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    If we've seen one thing over and over in the PT, it's that Jedi are terrible at ganging up on someone. I'm not sure exactly why. I suspect that Jedi become overly patient and conservative when they outnumber their foe ... when they feel they have that much of an advantage, they become content to simply wear down their enemy and then arrest them.

Both Obii-Wan and Qui-Gon fought Maul with much more intensity when the two of them were separated. Look at Qui-Gon laying into Maul when the force field drops. Then watch Obi-Wan attack when the force field drops again. If they had both just attacked like that simultaneously, I think Maul would have been overwhelmed.

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Why didn't Obi Wan go with Yoda? Well, because they had to work fast to take them both down before the galaxy was completely in their grasp and before Anakin became too powerful. Yoda had a better chance against Palp, and vice versa with Obi and Anakin. Sure, they probably would've fared better if they took Sidious on together, but there's a good chance Obi Wan would've been killed, and he needed to fight Anakin.

Regardless of who fought who, I'm a solid believer that Yoda never stood a chance. They were evenly matched, but neither of them could defeat the other. Obi Wan could atleast exploit Anakin's weaknesses to turn the tide of their battle. They both knew only Anakin could destroy Sidious, I think.

9. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Obi Wan alone could have killed Sidious,without problems.
    Yoda can not kill Sidious,because he is not following the Jedi way.
    Yoda should just defend and take a lot of safety measures and wait
    for Sidious to neglect his defense and exploit that.
    Yoda should have a lot of patience,when fighting Sidious.
    Yoda just rushes in,but remembers what Yoda teaches Anakin,that the lack of patience
    is a path towards dark side .
    Because Sith Lords were arrogant and were neglecting defense.
    A real Jedi master should pose as weak and not cocky,as Yoda was when he went to fight Sidious.
    Look how a very young Obi Wan kills Darth Maul,using the arrogance of Darth Maul.
    Yoda is not even blocking first force lightning of Sidious,it was more than clear that Sidious will use that.
    But Yoda comes unprepared and cocky,I guess Yoda wants to prove Sidious that he can take a force lightning
    without problems.
    That is not a proper attitude of the Jedi Grand Master,is not a Jedi attitude ,at all.
    Dooku was much powerful duelist that Sidious ,Yoda can not kill him,Anakin kills him with ease.
    But Anakin can not kill Obi Wan.
    So is clear,Anakin could have killed Sidious without problems,in a fight 1 versus 1.

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    ^^

Obi Wan could've beat Sidious "without problem" ? You do realize he got schooled by Sidious' apprentice twice even with the help of Anakin "the chosen one" Skywalker by his side, right?

11. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    I agree.
    Obi Wan was able to defeat a godlike swordsmaster like Anakin so I guess Palpatine would be childsplay for him.

12. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    That happened in the past.
    When Obi Wan was not so good at duels.
    And Count Dooku was by no means the apprentice of Darth Sidious,he was by his own.
    Besides,I doubt Sidious could have defend against Darth Tyrannus/Count Dooku,if Dooku
    would have wanted to kill Sidious.
    Sidious style of fight was very cautious,it was not a Sith-style,like Darth Sidious style,
    which was based on attack.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, no.

1. Dooku was the Apprentice. That's why he called Sidious his Master. He even got his ass handed to him by Palpatine via a choke from long distance.

2. Obi-wan was not on Palpatine's level. No Jedi was except for a few.

"You have to be either Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor," Lucas says. "If Anakin hadn't got all beat up, he could've beat the Emperor."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 204

Lucas has been consistent with that since 1981.

Also, Palpatine managed to not only take out three Jedi Masters in thirty seconds, he also fought his former Apprentice and his brother.

14. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Well that's just great... I was enjoying this debate, but the above post ends it :p

15. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Agreed. Sidious had the drop on them from the word "go".

SateleNovelist11 and PHIERY like this.
  16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That's just what I was thinking when I saw the title of this thread. Also, Lord Sinister pretty much nailed everything. Sidious, I think, would have tried to divide Obi-Wan and Yoda, and then he would have incapacitated Obi-Wan either with an instant killing blow or a slowly lethal one in order to concentrate on Yoda. It is possible that Sidious could be very tired and even have a broken bone or two, since this wouldn't easy. But I think it would be a plausibly insurmountable challenge for him to face, say, post-New Jedi Order Luke Skywalker and at least one Jedi from the EU.

Having said that, fans really need to get over this notion that Sidious Palpatine is invincible. Yes, he is extremely powerful, and it is true that, for all intents and purposes, his boast about being the dark side rang true. He is, indeed, the most fearsome, loathsome, and most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived, surpassing those who came before him and those who followed. However, that does not mean he's unbeatable in every duel regardless of the existential circumstances involved. The man was very crafty and ingenious to take control of the galaxy. Let us remember that Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker defeated Sidious to save Luke, and Vader was only 80% as powerful as his master. It was a fluke because Sidious didn't see it coming and Anakin used the Force and his strength of will to contain Sidious for a sufficient time to dump him downward into the Death Star II. What I'm saying is that there are some rare circumstances where Sidious could be beaten by other individuals. However, from how the Old Jedi Order operated and given where Obi-Wan and Yoda were in their respective mindsets in ROTS (not quite as adapted and evolved in the Force yet), I think it's extremely unlikely and that Sidious would be triumphant in such a scenario.

17. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    While I'd like to think that would happen, Obi-Wan would probably just be knocked out or more likely killed right at the beginning of the duel. Then it'd just be Yoda vs Sidious again.

Erkan12 likes this.
  18. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Yoda read Obi-Wan to filth right there in the scene: "To fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough, you are not."

Erkan12 likes this.
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    And in that rare instance Palpatine still killed Darth Vader / Anakin. I always though the lightning fried Vader's mechanical parts and that's what killed him. Could the Emperor have upped the power when Vader grabbed so anyone in that situation would have died?

20. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Sidious would kill Obi-Wan, he couldn't do any help in that fight. It was the best for him to not interfere.

21. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    I guess you really can't argue with what the creator of this all of this said. But for argument sake, Yoda and Mace together could possibly have taken Sidious. Obi Wan and Yoda...a lot of intellect between the two, maybe they could have defended until an opening presented itself, which Yoda praised Obi Wan for being able to do. But Sidious was just too powerful, he probably would have taken out Kenobi early on in the fight. In order to prevent being taken out early, the only thing I could see Obi Wan being useful for is hurling objects at Sidious while Yoda dueled with him.

What I know for sure is that Obi would not have been done dirty like Kolar, Fisto and Tiin :p

22. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Considering how Obi-Wan fared against Dooku, he would probably be more of a liability than an asset.

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Yoda would have captured or killed Dooku in their duel if he didn't have to save Obi-Wan and Anakin. With Palpatine it would have been worse.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  24. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Definitely. Yoda told Obi-Wan this, "Strong enough to fight this Darth Sidious, you are not." What he really meant was this, "Dooku kicked your sorry butt two times in a row. We're talking about Dooku's master here. You're just going to get in my way. Go kill Vader, and don't screw this up."

On Polis Massa....

Yoda: "Did you defeat Vader?"
    Obi-Wan: "Oh I beat Vader all right."
    Yoda: "Great, one less Sith to worry about. It's a good thing you killed him"
    Obi-Wan: "About that...."
    Yoda: "Dang it Obi-Wan! What part about 'Destroy the Sith, we must' did you not understand?! I miss Mace."

25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    well considering Obi-Wan was no match for Dooku, Sidious would have eliminated him early (he isn't as forgiving as Dooku) leaving Mano A Mano Yoda and Sidious.

Edit: ninja'd would help if I read more replies above me :p

SateleNovelist11 likes this.