main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books KENOBI by John Jackson Miller: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 22, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It should be noted that Jabba's Palace in ROTJ is a "small conflict" -- it's about rescuing one man. no galactic anything at stake.

And it's one of the best sequences in the films.

Jedi Merkurian and aleja2 like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the Jabba sequence- but I've seen a few people say it was one of the Bad Things in RotJ.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Disgruntled Boba / Fandalorians!

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I like the part where it's a music video.

5. mulberry

mulberry Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2009
    I got this on vacation, read it in two days.

Loved it!!!!

The dialogue for Kenobi was spot on. He really nailed the gentle, thoughtful way Obi Wan speaks in ROTS.

I don't have time to write a huge review because I just got back to work after a week off (your tax dollars are at work folks) but I do want to say that I really like how JJM writes women in his stories. He gives them so much depth as well as very strong roles in the story, which warms my heart as a middle aged female and mother of a daughter. Does he read this thread? Perhaps I will send him a message.

Thumper09 and s65horsey like this.
  6. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    I drop by as time allows. Thanks for the kind words!

And I don't mind the varying views -- the purchase price earns everyone a voice. In practice, of course, I will continue to give preference to the voices in my head. (Though I try not to have conversations with them in the mall any more. People give you strange looks!) 8-}

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't see it, Anakin didn't want to lose what he loved, and that was against the old Jedi way. That guy made a mistake, and tried everything bad to save his own life, which is quite different.

If he really learned something, he would not think Vader was beyond redemption in OT.

It's not bad, but if Lucas used a whole movie to tell it it would have pissed off many people.

8. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    One of the main episodes highlighting Anakin's rise and fall? Possibly.

One of these standalones? Far from it. I only speak for myself of course, but if they wanted to adapt Kenobi into a film, I'd welcome it more than I do the sequels.

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Only like 3-4 characters were well focused, 200-250 pages would have been enough.

Oh, and this book still didn't show us Obi Wan's flaw in both the PT and OT, it's not like he had become better in OT. He became more stubborn on the old Jedi way and keep asking Luke to kill his own dad.

10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The flaw of a lot of the recent Star Wars novels is that they lack the care, nuance, and time to properly justify the size of their conflicts. The fact that this novel spends more time fleshing out characterization and setting things into motion prior to the climax isn't overdoing it -- the other novels are underdoing it.

11. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I was definitely snarking. Finished this book the night I got my hands on it. Loved it.

Note to self, use a different smiley next time.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    We need a sarcasm font.

HWK-290 likes this.
  13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

That's not true. 200-250 pages (or roughly 50,000-62,500 words if you use the old standard of 250 words per page) would be nowhere near long enough to portray arcs for three main characters. You'd need at least 90,000 words (30,000 per character) for that, which would translate to around 360 pages.

aleja2 likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This is my sarcasm font. Have you guys been taking me seriously all this time? [face_worried]

my kind of scum and Iron_lord like this.
  15. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    My general rule of thumb:

For any post from Coop that is two lines in height or less, assume sarcasm.
    For any post from Coop that is four lines in height or more, assume serious.
    For any post from Coop that is exactly three lines in height, err on the side of caution.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And you just got here! =D=

BoromirsFan likes this.
  17. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    Been lurking on and off since WHtTaTwJS started. ;)

BACK ON TOPIC:

Am I the only one who, immediately upon his introduction, assumed that
    Bohmer was actually Greedo, who not only enjoyed his caf but enjoyed the laid-back assignment of watching Orrin day in and day out for Jabba, and by extension Mosep? I kept waiting on the novel to deliver on this unfair expectation of mine and was terribly disappointed when it didn't happen.
    That said, I love the following lines, and can't resist quoting them now. Dear JJM: you get it.
    Living here, getting involved in this little world, with its little dramas? It's been enlightening.

I missed all this while rushing about to save the galaxy. Seeing that, for many people, the smaller struggles are just as important to them as our larger ones are to us. It was a good lesson for me to learn.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    DP had 397 pages and it was able to focus on Plagueis, Sidious and Maul along with a bunch of characters and important political events through at least 3 decades. RotS was 18 pages longer and it portrayed Anakin, Obi Wan, Palpatine, Mace Windu, Dooku and a few more well, along with a lot of big events

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Darth Maul did not have a character arc in Darth Plagueis. Palpatine, Dooku, and Mace Windu did not have full character arcs in Revenge of the Sith.

This all makes me curious what most Star Wars fans expect out of Star Wars novels.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Palpatine got a lot of stuff in RotS, his importance was only second to Anakin. And there were a lot of events going on, especially in DP, unlike this book. Plagueis and Sidious require much more words to be written well because of their importance to the galaxy and the overall plot of SW. Characters like Dooku and Windu was able to be well written through 2-3 chapters, why couldn't this book do the same?

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Explain to me how Palpatine, as a character, changed from the start of Revenge of the Sith to the finish based upon the events that occurred in the novel. Explain how Dooku changed. Explain how Windu changed.

Slater and BoromirsFan like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Might be able to pick up my copy Thursday night!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Palpatine does not change, but we see how did he slowly take his mask off and show his true nature.

Dooku was very idealistic upon the future in the beginning, but he was changing through the fight with Anakin, because of the difficulty of the fight, he started to play like a Sith, use dirty tricks to take down Anakin and Obi Wan even though he once prefer to fight like a gentleman, even threw his old plan away and disobey Sidious, when Palpatine betrayed him, his dream simply broke, he finally realized the cruel truth of the Sith, he finally realized the foolishness of his arrogance and idealistic plan and see the reality much better,but it was too late. His confidence, arrogance and idealistic thoughts were taken away piece by piece throughout the fight.

Mace Windu was a guardian of the galaxy, he was still trying to find a way to make sure the galaxy stays safe, he was also quite arrogant toward the Sith, like a conversation he had with Yoda. But when he realized Palpatine is Sidious, he knew the Sith should not underestimated, he simply had to try the hard way, arrest the chancellor which is quite risky, and after Sidious was "defeated" he didn't even want to take him to trial because he realized how dangerous Sidious is. He was pushed by the events to change, his arrogance was also keep reducing, at the same time he also walked into a quite dangerous path.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My memory sucks--was he the raccoon, or the tree?

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He was the SHIELD's leader.

Yoda also changed greatly throughout the novel of RotS, he was so stubborn in the beginning when he was having conversation with Anakin, but in the end he admitted the Old Jedi way didn't work anymore, and was willing to accept Qui Gon's teaching to improve the Jedi way.