main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books KENOBI by John Jackson Miller: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 22, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm not convinced that the conflict in ROTS was actually bigger. In fact, I'd say the climax is smaller. It is the consequences that are bigger.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    RotS mostly used the big events to make impact on people and make them change, without too much focused writing on characters individually except Anakin. It's also a good way.

I agree some recent novels like the Crucible was way too rushed on the plot and characterization, Kenobi is a lot better than it, but they can do something between introduce a big conflict in 316 pages and write a small conflict with 400 pages.

3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The conflict in ROTS was a duel between two people. Kenobi's had more than two and more going on.

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Dang it, HWK, you made me open that old thread. It hurts to read since the posts are all cut off...

I love the inference in this very thread that this isn't a good book because it isn't BIG dealing with BIG EVENTS and BIG CONSEQUENCES for a lot of BIG CHARACTERS. And how the quote you put in pokes a hole in that very same inference. A book doesn't have to be full of battle, explosions and death to be good. Not all Westerns have to be For A Few Dollars More or The Lone Ranger. Some can be 3:10 to Yuma or High Noon instead, quiet, effective character studies. I'll reserve full judgement until I've actually read this book, but, calling a book that's received the kind of praise it's gotten here poor because it's small is rather small-minded.

HWK-290 likes this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Not just that, the Republic became the Empire, the Jedi's downfall, it was already settled before Anakin VS Obi Wan.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The climax of this book is larger than you would think reading this thread.

7. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Size matters not.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Touché, sir.

9. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    I´d say OB1 had learned a lot, he´s no longer talking about attachments, duties, or not losing your lightsaber. Yoda on the other side still feels a lot more like in the PT, besides not bringing up the no love rule, he´s much the same, and it´s clear (imho) that in no moment during ESB he trusted Luke would succeed (funny he mentions the other one who happens to be Leia, who is much more daddy´s child than Luke) .Once you start down the Dark Path etc. Moviewise DS is not a revolving door, EU really cheapened it.

But none considered the possibility of pulling Anakin back. The last part of RotS is OB1 doing wrong everything Luke does well in RotJ. That´s why Luke is a better Jedi than they ever were.

10. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    That did sound like something Zayne Carrick would say. Then again, Zayne really got what being a Jedi should be about, ironically refusing knighthood to go at it.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's the same thing that Qui-Gon Jinn is, except instead of refusing knighthood he just ignores the Jedi council.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Zayne Carrick is my second-favorite KOTOR character. That he is mentioned in this book is the Realization of Epic.

pronker likes this.
  13. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Just finished it, I haven't felt something like that after finishing a book in quite awhile, makes it sadder to think he still has many years left to go.

14. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I couldn't agree more!! John is one of the best when it comes to strong female characterization. And as the mother of two teenage daughters, I laughed out loud in a few places in this book that probably wouldn't get mentioned here, but I sure enjoyed the heck out of them. :D

pronker, mulberry and Gorefiend like this.
  15. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I have been eagerly awaiting this novel like no other SW since Mindor, unfortunately real-life (specifically AES) keeps getting in the way and I'm going to have to wait until this is in paperback to afford it :_|

16. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Well...two of them start alive and then their dead. Major change. Major character development. OBVZ. wat donchooo git.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm still reading the book, but is anyone else getting Shane vibes from the story?

pronker and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think JJM cited that at one point. Haven't seen it myself.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Maybe.

20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    [​IMG]
    SHANE! COME BACK!

Aside: that is an amazing movie. Alan Ladd and Jack Palance were both fantastic. If Kenobi has any similarities to that story, I'll definitely be picking it up.

21. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    It was indeed a discussion Jeremy Barlow and I were having about westerns in general and our shared appreciation for Shane in particular that led to me putting together the KENOBI proposal several years ago as a potential graphic novel. There are obviously many points of difference, but the notion of the stranger-with-a-past wandering into town is central to a lot of western stories, and it was where our tale began as well. No western did that sort of story better than Shane, as far as I know.

(My favorite western may actually be the original True Grit, but there was no way to envision Obi-Wan with an eyepatch...)

pronker, Gorefiend and colojedi7 like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Ki-Adi-Mundi should have survived Order 66.
    [​IMG]

pronker and Gorefiend like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I definitely got more of a Rango vibe (though, it bears somewhat of a modern-resemblance to Shane I suppose) from this book -- which, again, is not faint praise as Rango was amazing too.

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    1. To have scenes on more than one planet.
    2. To have a real antagonist.
    3. To have at least one lightsaber duel.
    4. To have at least one space battle.

You know, stuff that all the Star Wars films have and are it's defining traits. This is why I don't buy Star Wars books these days, with few exceptions.

As for Darth Plagueis, it had all of these.

1. Sojourn, Bal'demnic, Aborah, Abraxin
    2. Plagueis himself, Venamis, Palpatine, Pax Teem, and Veruna.
    3. Plagueis vs Venamis.
    4. Black Sun's attack on Sojourn
    Too many authors try to put their own spin on Star Wars and forget what makes it Star Wars. The six amazing films followed a set style and had certain prerequisites for a reason. It's a real shame that real quality Star Wars work is becoming scarcer and scarcer these days. The new films should help pump some life back into this dying franchise.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Hmm... [face_thinking]

I think I'll sit this out. Traitor has none of those and that's the best SW book ever written IMO.