main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books KENOBI by John Jackson Miller: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 22, 2013.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    That's true. BUT NOT BECAUSE LUKE ATE IT. :(

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Now, now...I'm sure they sent him to a nice dune upstate where he could run around.

3. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    That's what I thought too. The main campus was on Alderaan, but likely they would be on one of the 10 planets instead of there. Kind of how students go to study wildlife in Africa, yet still are affiliated with a main campus or university.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The farm story doesn't work when they already live on a farm.

mulberry and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  6. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Now I've got the My Little Pony theme song stuck in my head....

My Little Eopie...My Little Eopie
    What will today's adventure be?
    Will there be exciting sights to see?
    Where will you wander? Hither and yonder
    Letting your heart be your guide
    I'll be there right by your side
    I'll be there right by your side

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, what an absolute pleasure that was.

The book, I mean. Not the My Little Eopie song.

Jabari, Zer0, CooperTFN and 1 other person like this.
  8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You monster.

9. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I have been purposefully avoiding this thread for fear of eyeballing even an accidental spoiler!! Like all new SW that I have in the past looked forward to (which sadly to say this is the first in a while), I tend to get the item and devour it in the first or second night of owning it them I end up kind of...."it's already over!!" But I have been taking my time with this one! I am on chapter 18!! And it's pretty good so far.

10. Basilews

Basilews Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    In Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi it is said that Ben eventually sold his eopie to Jawas as he decided that he don't need it enymore. (And evidently travelled with Jawa afterwards). Weird, he seem to be so fond of that animal.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As he puts it in the RoTS novel:

"Being a Jedi means allowing things—even things we love—to pass out of our lives."

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    So the baby still could've made its way to Luke. :D

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

Ah man, I missed those. Or maybe I just don't remember them.

14. JABrown

JABrown Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2004
    I really enjoyed it! Not what I was expecting at first, but seeing this part of Kenobi's life, especially since it was told almost exclusively through the eyes of these other characters, was a real pleasure. Miller did a great job.

15. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    I thought this was terrific - excellent characterisation, which really puts you in the heads of Obi-Wan, the Tuskens and the settlers. The relatively small-scale conflict comes as a welcome change after the epic multi-book series which we've had in recent years. Given the setting - almost immediately after ROTS, with Obi-Wan in hiding from the Empire - it's not realistic to expect that this novel would be yet another one dealing with the fate of the galaxy. Were people expecting that the Tuskens would develop a superweapon during the course of the story?

I also liked how tropes from Westerns were transposed to a Star Wars setting, such as rescuing a rider from a runaway mount, raising a posse and facing a cattle stampede. The novel felt like it tied with the Tatooine section of ANH. Obi-Wan's meeting with Annileen mirrors his meeting with Luke.

Orrin Gault's fate is extremely nasty and memorable as he becomes the thing which he hated, just like Anakin before him.

16. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    This probably belongs in the "Literature Casting Call" thread but:

Orrin Gualt = Ray Stevenson!!!

pronker and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Gerald McRaney. But that could just be Deadwood talking.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Now you will witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational Bantha Gun!

HWK-290 likes this.
  19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I was picturing Redford myself. Probably back in his Sundance days. Though Jedi Journals' interview with JJM mentioned Sam Neill, which I thought worked, too.

pronker likes this.
  20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Not reading any of the other comments, but just dumping this here:
    A third of the way through now, and I have grown to like the choice of not having the novel appear from Obi-Wan's POV at all, except in his meditations with Qui-Gon's spirit.
    The subtle continuity is great in this novel, by the way; Star Wars: Obi-Wan, a little-known Xbox game from 2001 has been referenced, to my delight. And this wasn't a "hey Master, remember that time I killed all those Tuskens during the Naboo crisis?", it was really well done.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My opinion as a non-fan of the EU is that this was a good book and I'll buy more if there are sequels. I totally nerded out with the Mosep Binneed cameo. That was the original Jabba not a stand in and had to be retconned because of ROTJ.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Miller seemed to have such fun writing this, you could tell. Add the humorous touches to the strong plot and characters, and it was a happy read over 3 days. Others have asked what makes a good SW novel, and to me, it's three things: Jedi, lightsabers, the Force.

I did hope that Veeka would be kidnapped/adopted into the Sandpeople, however.

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I've been somewhat avoiding this thread. I have an hour and a half left in the audiobook.

I just wanted to noted that his is one of the few novels that made me emotional. I didn't start bawling or anything, but its very rare when I actually feel, in my soul, the hurt of the character. I'm referring, specifically, to the meditation where Obi-wan realizes that he has, quite literally, lost every friend he ever had. The jedi were his family, and they're all dead now.

Just, ya know, wow.

I don't necessarily know why its so poignant for me, but I was driving along and nearly had to pull over because I was so moved by that section. If I wasn't sold on JJM as a novelist before that, I am now.

pronker and Gorefiend like this.
  24. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Who needs meth when you can have magic, tasty water. The best water ever. Really. This is how Obi Wan will be sustained. With the best... water... ever.

25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The water must flow.