main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books KENOBI by John Jackson Miller: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 22, 2013.

1. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Iron Lord, you make a great case for chasing down that L&LoOB1K book! Thanks for posting that.

I felt much the same way for a few moments, I agree that felt like an effective moment. Of course, the next couple of left turns regarding Orrin's fate reminded me of watch the TV show Smallville; you keep a story like this running long enough and you start to get a long line of people who have discovered Clark Kent or Ben Kenobi's secret. It made Orrin's fate feel a little disconnected, but it's partly because of that Smallville echo rather than a fault of the authors.

I liked seeing a nuanced exploration of Tuskens, but I'm still soured on them because of their role in Anakin's fall. I like that Kenobi delves into that a bit. Orrin's fate seemed like a bit of commentary on the Tuskens in a way, in the sense that they come across as needlessly viscious and cruel and "capable of unforgivable things" as Ben acknowledges. And also that the Tuskens have found themselves in a situation where they are being used because they have a reputation, they've become a tool. Orrin's transition is fitting in the sense that he can't deny that he has become those things and can't lie to himself about it anymore. He's become what he hates or can't face about himself, he can't deny his own visciousness and cruelty, and he's become someone else's tool. I was horrified. So, it was pretty effective.

Oh, yeah Anileen's destination is a definitely a source of concern for me as well. It's more than a little disconcerting. I think I'm there with a lot of others in rationalizing that she finished her degree and settled somewhere else or continued to move to different places with her work.

I got that vibe too! My brain filled in the same music for that sequence as it played out in my head while reading.

2. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    A few months ago I asked a book vendor in Walmart if she knew when the paperback for Kenobi was coming out and she said generally it takes a year. After consulting some papers she said its slated for "late July '14". Has anyone heard of an actual date now that we're more than half way through the month?

3. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

According to Amazon, MM paperback is July 29th this year

pronker likes this.
  4. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    I still have 100 pages to finish Kenobi, but what I read so far it is pretty good. Miller created so many good characters as A'Yark and Orrin Gault. He explores the Tusken Raiders very well, giving us some information that I never knew before, like the color of their blood, and why do they cover their skin with a lot of bandage, etc...This is the brazilian version of the book:
    [​IMG]

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, you found it!

Messi likes this.
  6. Messi

Jan 14, 2015

It took time, but I finally found it...hahah

7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Got this book with A New Dawn and when I first started reading I was worrying that the "legends" thing would put me off. I'm so glad it didn't. Usually when I read star wars novels I always find myself thinking at certain points "That's not star wars"- that didn't happen in this book.

8. Messi

Jan 14, 2015
    I fisinished it! And the book it is really good, just enjoyed reading the entire book. Good characters and the story its well constructed. Favorite momments: When Ben its trying to comunicate with Qui-Gon without sucess.

Now I'll read Shadows of the Empire, the novel. I have the comics but I think I will enjoy more the novel.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a few hilarious scenes in the novel that aren't in the comic.

Jedi Knight Fett and Messi like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If there is one book that should remain Canon it's this

Amazing

Jedi Ben, pronker and Messi like this.
  11. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    And the great thing about it is that you can easily consider it canon as-is. There is no way anything could contradict it, because everyone in this story other than Obi-Wan could die and the galaxy wouldn't notice. It's so small-scale it's untouchable. They would have to have Obi-Wan literally say "I have never met anyone named Annileen Calwell, Orrin Gault, or A'Yark."

12. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    It was frustrating how many times Obi-Wan did something cool only to then worry about having his identity revealed. It was all very restrained. The plot stayed well within the frame of the "mysterious stranger enters" trope. I was waiting for something to burst through and bring life but things just stayed at that level of safeness.

I appreciate having a story to picture when thinking of what Obi-Wan's been up to on Tatooine, but the book itself is not particuarly engaging.

5/10

13. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013

I honestly think it was a great idea for Kenobi not to use his lightsaber and force powers much. He is one of the last Jedi, a personal target of Darth Vader, and he needs to protect Luke. To me, it is a great book that is perhaps too long.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    When's the sequel? Doesn't even matter if the first one isn't cannon. It can still be referenced...no harm, no foul, so help me, Pablo.

Who wouldn't want to see another JJM Kenobi book?

Star Wars fans Assemble...but don't be all crazy BBL about it.

Darth Dnej, spicer and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Agreed. If anything he used his abilities too much, he wasn't discreet at all.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I haven't read this book...but how does it compare to the Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series? Have there been any other stories about Obi-Wan in the post-ROTS era?

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, very few other inbetween trilogies ObiWan stories.

In comparison to the TV this is a far quieter, more contemplative tale. You should give it a go.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Marvel's mainline Star Wars series did a few during the Jason Aaron run (they've been collected in a convenient "From the Journals of Obi-Wan Kenobi" TPB), and the recent Obi-Wan series took place shortly before ANH (with flashbacks to previous eras of Obi-Wan's life). And of course, lest we forget, the "Twin Suns" episode of Rebels.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  19. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    He showed up in a few of the Last of the Jedi books, and there were Obi-Wan/Luke short stories set during ROTS included with this book and Skyewalkers. For comics, there's also "Old Wounds".

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    My favourite part of this book is when Obi-Wan saves Orrin from Mosep and his goons in Jabba’s townhouse. My partner once heard that part of the audiobook and he still likes to mimic it from time to time.

“The door!” Boopa yelled, cowering behind a statue. “Open the doors to the street!”

Whenever I ask him to open a door, I get to hear the above line. It’s so awesome.

SWpants likes this.
  21. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    I'll echo Jedi Ben's reply that you get a very different experience. I would almost say it is the opposite of the TV series in a lot of ways (and I liked the show myself). Highly recommended. Read it right before the show and they can largely fit together continuity wise (Legends label or no) Note that it does have (even stronger than most Star Wars) a strong Western (the movie/book genre) vibe so it helps if that appeals to you.

Alpha-Red, Riv_Shiel and Vialco like this.