main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books KENOBI by John Jackson Miller: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 22, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Since I too have no shams, everybody note that Jello, horsey and I have a roundtable discussion coming on Friday that gets far more into spoilers than I did.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Currently at chapter 3 and if we somewhere down the line get a cattle baron this officially is a full blown western. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, there is a livery.

4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah just got up to that. ;)

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Poor Snit.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Just blazed through the Kindle version and I cannot convey in words how awesome this book was. :D^:)^ I had high expectations, so happy the Kenobi novel met and exceeded those. The plotting, the details, the characterization, the descriptions, everything was so magnificent. A few recurring JJM themes, but considering how great JJM stories usually are, I have no problem with that. This is definitely the perfect Star Wars western.

Now to go buy a hardcover version at my local bookstore tomorrow, er, later today. Glad I glanced through the Insider short story, although it doesn't add anything, but it does help frame Obi-wan's struggle on Tatooine (basically he's not saving the galaxy anymore and can't stand out too much). So many brilliant references.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There are two heartbreaking scenes in the book -- one a meditation as profound as anything in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and one a line that all of what we see in Star Wars hinges on (which most people will probably overlook) and is central to the core of Obi-Wan Kenobi...

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Chapter 7 and Phindian + Vuvrian mechanics! Now that is what I call obscure.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Good lord, man, it's not even noon!

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    :confused:

I'm sure I'll get it if you tell me, but nothing's coming to mind.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's a small line, but I'm not even sure JJM intended it to be that momentous. I dunno, maybe I'm overplaying it in my head...

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm gonna have to avoid this thread for a bit since my copy hasn't even shipped yet. :(

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    "The other Jedi. How I hope others have survived. I couldn't bear to be the only one left. It seems impossible to imagine." Oh, my. :(

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Oh I am sure he will be happy to see a few of them again, wearing Inquisitor robes. [face_mischief]

15. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Poor Kallie! :p

Wow, that's quicker than I read it. But then I suppose I was rather busy during the day... :p

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Without Snit, Kallie would never have met Ben! It was the Will of the Force. ;)

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hü? Obi-Wan had a run in with Tusken during his Episode 1 stay there? When did that happen?

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That is true. That whole thing led to my favorite meme of the whole novel -- but then I'm easily entertained by hero-worship.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Kallie : Ben : : Jello : Palpatine

21. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    It's in the XBox game OBI-WAN, as I recall. I didn't refer to it directly, but did try to imply that he'd seen Tuskens before.

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Ah Thx. Had really just never heard of it. :)

23. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Me at Barnes and Noble a few minutes ago:

Me: "Hello I was just wondering where a book was that came out today, I don't see it."
    Service Desk Lady: "What's it called?"
    Me: "Kenobi!"
    Service Desk Lady: "Looks like we have it, but the shipment hasn't been put out yet."
    Me: "................"
    SDL: "................................."
    Me: "........................................................" (accompanied by uncomfortable stare)
    SDL: "..............................................................................................................."
    Me: "I guess I'll have to come back even though you and I BOTH KNOW that what I want is merely three feet away in a box somewhere but you are giving me the google eye as if I"M the crazy person here!!!!"..........actually that really shouldn't be in quotes, I was just thinking that, so
    Me:"..................ok, I guess I'll come back later."

24. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I do have a question...

Approximately how much time passes in the novel? Is it all before, say, Dark Lord (where Obi-wan finally learns that Anakin is alive), or do events stretch over a much longer period of time (given the 19 year gap we have)?

25. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    Tell her to go get it...

NOW.